Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack Burton's adventures in Arcade restoring

• 11-10-2019 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Figured I'd start a thread for all my repairs with these new machines. Since I don't want to clog up any other threads and I'll be needing some help from the experts here.

So the pinball is pretty much good. I know what I have to do with that.

HoTD 2 has monitor issues and the guns not working. I didn't get any pics of the monitor so that will wait. The game is starting up and gameplay seems good

The naomi crazy taxi is where the bulk of this thread will be based I think. Here's a few pictures to show you what I've found so far after a quick look last night

tuC7stZ.jpg

2gVztOu.jpg

kCP3ctP.jpg

iyLpjo5.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭geotrig

Wonder why the i/o was placed there :confused: iirc if its an i/o error the screen normally says so .
    Are you getting any error code 03 04 ? they are normally the board malfucntion codes.

you should be able to get into the test menu from the credit board and can run checks on the ic's etc there.

Sometimes it can be hard to get the rom and board to fuse correctly ,also worth booting with out a cart

Figured I'd start a thread for all my repairs with these new machines. Since I don't want to clog up any other threads and I'll be needing some help from the experts here.

So the pinball is pretty much good. I know what I have to do with that.

HoTD 2 has monitor issues and the guns not working. I didn't get any pics of the monitor so that will wait. The game is starting up and gameplay seems good

]
    It Could be the game board failing here as well so dont be too quick to rule it out, ... at least you have another std naomi in the crazy taxi that you can swap in to test to monitor and be sure at least you kow ot boots to screen.

Although I knew HOTD was on the dreamcast it never crossed my mind that the arcade version would be naomi hardware also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Second pic, someone hack in a ATX PSU to replace the orignial PSU?
    Third pic, indeed strange place for the I/O board. Thats usually just under the control panel unless its different for driving panels.

For the error - as geotrig, go to the test menu and check the game ICs. If that checks good, try booting the Naomi without the game board inserted to see if the error remains. They usually give error codes, maybe an updated BIOS would give that.
    Although I knew HOTD was on the dreamcast it never crossed my mind that the arcade version would be naomi hardware also.

HOTD 2 was Naomi, HOTD 1 was Sega Model 2 I believe

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Third pic, indeed strange place for the I/O board. Thats usually just under the control panel unless its different for driving panels.

No its under the CP on my 18wheeler.
    The 18wheeler has a different wheel setup too.

• Advertisement

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Second pic, someone hack in a ATX PSU to replace the orignial PSU?

For the error - as geotrig, go to the test menu and check the game ICs. If that checks good, try booting the Naomi without the game board inserted to see if the error remains. They usually give error codes, maybe an updated BIOS would give that.

HOTD 2 was Naomi, HOTD 1 was Sega Model 2 I believe

The problem with hotd2 is its a slightly different setup .i.e there is something extra somewhere on either "cart" or "mainboard" i cant remember exactly and unless something changed since i last looked, which is quite possible, it wasnt neetbootable. :(
    "" used as it came in its own cage*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Thanks lads. I'll hopefully get around to giving those a go tonight. Didn't even cop HOTD 2 being Naomi aswell.

Any idea why those parts were wrapped up in paper towels?

Thanks lads. I'll hopefully get around to giving those a go tonight. Didn't even cop HOTD 2 being Naomi aswell.

Any idea why those parts were wrapped up in paper towels?

probably to stop it shorting on any metal

An elegant and practical solution :D

An elegant and practical solution :D
    MacGyver'd :D

• Advertisement

you could always buy a chihiro and play(nb) hotd3 ,vC 3 and i presume ghost squad(never played it so no idea how compatible it is )as well :D and use it for outrun 2 on the crazy taxi cab when not being used !!

if you are feeling flush ,that is*

actually ,i wonder do they have a setting for the mirror :think:

OK so got a few mins to do some testing tonight.

Getting error 03 on the board when the game is out. Game in, just says error "board malfunctioning". Ran the ROM and RAM tests on the service menu and things were all good.

That is a ATX PSU hacked into the cab.

So where do I go from here?

OK so got a few mins to do some testing tonight.

Getting error 03 on the board when the game is out. Game in, just says error "board malfunctioning". Ran the ROM and RAM tests on the service menu and things were all good.

That is a ATX PSU hacked into the cab.

So where do I go from here?
    OK check the voltages Naomi are quiet sensitive at times especially on the 3.3 v and 5 v

I would suggest scanning the pins on both mb and cart as they can get bent can't remember what error that gives though.

Then next step would clean contacts and screw cart in.... Sometimes this makes a difference although again not sure if this gives error 3

It might also be worth getting a new bios programmed as I think this can throw the same error.

Also you could grab the hotd2 mb and swap in the bios and cart at some point and it it should work.. Hotd2 bios is unique to that game only.

cool man, i'll get going on that soon as I can.

The crazy taxi board was screwed in originally.

looking around now and found this

"Mecha187 is spot on. When there is no cartridge plugged in the Screen should read "Error 01.
    THIS GAME IS NOT ACCEPTABLE BY MAIN BOARD". If it still reads "error 03" then the serial eeprom has lost it's memory or it cannot give out the serial #. I only seem to have this problem on the Mobo fitted with a X76F100 at Location IC64. Later versions have a 93C46 fitted and there is a place for the X76F100. My burner cannot read the X76F100 and it is protected. I usually replace the chip with one from my scraps,cap the Power Supply set the voltages accordingly."

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/archive/index.php/t-276679.html

Had a read through that and looks like a mobo problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭BGOllie

looking online for error 03 it could be the cart itself alright or the bios. Check the eprom against mame and try the hotd2 cart in there too

Yeah I knew there was something ic wise that gives trouble but couldn't remember what and where it is.
    The problem with Naomi's is sometimes you can get errors for all different reasons .... Im almost certain I pulled error 3/4 for some reason and never got it again...

As above the handy thing is you have another mb that you can try test with as well

It's a pity the Naomi forums are offline cause the info on there was invaluable.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

If you are in Dublin I can loan you my naomi2, power supply, universal bios and net dimm with all the games including crazy taxi for troubleshooting if it would help.

Thanks dude, I'm down in Waterford. Probably won't be back up in the big smoke till November

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭BGOllie

If you are in Dublin I can loan you my naomi2, power supply, universal bios and net dimm with all the games including crazy taxi for troubleshooting if it would help.

any links for setting up one of these ? might be looking at this option very soon myself too :)

BGOllie wrote: »
    any links for setting up one of these ? might be looking at this option very soon myself too :)
    Many guides out there, this one looks good - there are other ways to feed in the images. Ensure you get a NetDimm and not just a Dimm.
    http://8bitplus.co.uk/projects/netboot-sega-naomi-netdimm/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

I have the netboot setup. A very elegant solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

A few items are required. Universal bios, netdimm, zero key, a pi3, lcd display with button selection kit, network switch or crossover cable and piforce tools software. Not a whole lot to it if you get a pre configured image for the pi.

Hardest part is obtaining the netdimm for a decent price.

Side by side on the cabs though it's impossible to tell the difference between the m2 emulator on a pc with good graphics card vs the real naomi2 board running gdrom/carts/netdimm. Net dimm may not be worth it imho. Same with the darksoft cps2 multi. Cps2 on groovymame is hard to distinguish from the real thing.

A good similar type of solution is the darksoft stv multi cart as there is not really any decent stv emulation. That one is definitely worth it.

• Lcd is not required you can use a web interface to load the games, joerg (arcademodnios.com) also has a dedicated board already setup that does the same job it of course it’s a more expensive option.

Yeah. I connect my to pi WiFi and select games through phone browser.

Preconfigured images are out there.

I got my netdimm 256, naomi 1 and capcom io for very cheap off yahoo japan. Took a punt on Junk status.

Try get 512mb netdimm if you can.
    Naomi 2 as well but they can be pricey.

That will allow you to load full naomi library.

Yeah. I connect my to pi WiFi and select games through phone browser.

Preconfigured images are out there.

I got my netdimm 256, naomi 1 and capcom io for very cheap off yahoo japan. Took a punt on Junk status.

Try get 512mb netdimm if you can.
    Naomi 2 as well but they can be pricey.

That will allow you to load full naomi library.

Did you get the Naomi reset setup with the image/directions I sent you? More importantly, anymore games? :)

Sure did. Thanks!

Got all the naomi games working fine. The Atomiswave ones over netboot are a bit more finicky. Tend to black screen a lot which is a voltage thing I believe. Never bothered pursuing that

So got a chance to test the HOTD 2 game board in the crazy taxi machine. Same error 03 board malfunction.

After reading that there is a chip in the Naomi mobo that blows if the 5v jumps over 5.15v and seeing that ATX PSU hacked into the cab, along with all the boards wrapped in paper towels. Makes me think I might be better off sourcing a new mobo and psu?

Must have been a problem with the PSU originally for all that to happen

• Advertisement

• ATX Power supply should work fine in there, did you measure the voltages? I would get another motherboard first and a cheap cart and swap and change to eliminate the cart/mobo

Advertisement