Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ALDI Vegan Sausage rolls

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Just trying those Lidl burgers. They're not bad at all. Very meaty taste. Reminds of those new birds eye vegan sausages/meat balls, also made from pea protein but these Lidl ones are nicer with better texture.

Also picked up a vegan pizza while in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Are theses Lidl burgers in the frozen or chilled section in stores?!

Are theses Lidl burgers in the frozen or chilled section in stores?!

Chilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

deaglan1 wrote: »
    New offering from ALDI. You will find them in the freezer compartment. Four large rolls per box for €1.79 I think. Very nice imo and inexpensive.

There were loads in the local Aldi…very shortly afterwards, there were none. It's like the vegan sausage rolls offered in delis round the country: some places near me are saying they're "flying out the door". Damned meat eaters stealing our grub. :rolleyes:

GarIT wrote: »
    Can we stop calling them burgers and sausages if they don't contain meat? Isn't that an EU rule now anyway?

It's not and it shouldn't be, though some lunatic US (where else?) state legislatures are caving in to lunatic corporate pressure to outlaw the words outside dead animal flesh.

Where's the copyright? Where's the cuts of meat called 'burger' or 'sausage' that need to be identified?

They're names for convenient shapes to deliver whatever you're selling. Coconut milk anyone? The flesh, skin and eyes of a potato? Cream sherry? Beef tomatoes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Here is a list of the Lidl Plant Based Quarter Pounder ingredients.

Water, Pea, Coconut oil, Onion, Cellulose, Salt, Beetroot Powder, Rape Oil, Tapioca Starch, Maltodextrin, Garlic, Caramel Sugar Syrup, Flavourings, Acidulant: Sodium Acetate, Dextrose.

If you are following veganism for health reasons then this sort of ingredients list should highlight the fact that these substitute convenience foods are as bad as the originals.

Can make very tasty bean burgers quickly and easily without half this crap in them

KSU wrote: »
    If you are following veganism for health reasons then this sort of ingredients list should highlight the fact that these substitute convenience foods are as bad as the originals.

Can make very tasty bean burgers quickly and easily without half this crap in them

As is the case with everything processed you buy in a shop. Not a vegan issue.

I'd love to make my own stuff with chickpeas etc but just don';t have time. Do you have any quick easy recipes?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

I'd love to make my own stuff with chickpeas etc but just don';t have time. Do you have any quick easy recipes?

Generally these are good for quick recipes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6ZIiiBilOc

Alternatively slow cooker recipes can be solid for prep overnight. Generally batch cook Sweet Potato, Chickpea and Kale Curries in it and get enough for 3 days and takes about 15 min to prep in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Quick and easy is relative, but so is time. Vegan or no it is important to make time for good food. When I was a meat eater I could't understand how anyone could eat the likes of those pre-prepped burgers, or even the likes of the Big Al's frozen beef burgers, and not make their own.

Any kind of a cooked bean will give you a consistency of mince meat to form "burger" patties. After that it's what you want them to taste of - whatever herbs you like, whatever seasoning you like, slow fry some diced onion and garlic and add that to the bean mix.
    The good news is that they freeze really well so one evening will give you a fine batch of burgers for the freezer. -I find a common mistake is to make them too big and then they take bloody forever to defrost/cook . Make them nice and thin and double up if you like.

You can always breadcrumb them and shallow fry them for the crispy effect.

-Another thing is - at the end of the day your beef burger tastes of the trimmings - lettuce, tomato, onion, mayo, ketchup. If you get some nice tofu, fry a couple of slices of it and put that between the burger buns where the meat would be and it's bloody delicious, and quick and simple!

Edit - a portobello mushroom also makes a fantastic "meaty" burger! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

tinned beans are your friend

kidney beans, chopped oniion, breadcrumbs, coriander salt pepper throw in some yeast flakes into a food processor whizz until a workable consistency add liquid (slowly not too much) make into patties coat in panko breadcrumbs - shallow fry

actually havent made those for ages ! replace beans with any ones you like.

• Advertisement

Staying on Aldi, has anyone tried their new vegan pizza range? 1.99 each and choice of bacon and mushroom, bbq jackfruit or spicey cauliflower.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭TheFortField

My Dad cooked Clonakilty Veggie Pudding for me at the weekend - I thought it was very tasty and it’s gluten free too.

https://www.clonakiltyblackpudding.ie/clonakilty-veggie-pudding?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInZmN8KXw5wIVWODtCh1ipgqqEAAYASAAEgIXJvD_BwE

My Dad cooked Clonakilty Veggie Pudding for me at the weekend - I thought it was very tasty and it’s gluten free too.

https://www.clonakiltyblackpudding.ie/clonakilty-veggie-pudding?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInZmN8KXw5wIVWODtCh1ipgqqEAAYASAAEgIXJvD_BwE

Yus, very good.

Clonakilty pudding and Denny sausages. All we're really missing now is some eggs and we'll be in business :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Tried the Clonakilty pudding at the weekend and was very disappointed. Thought that it was quiet tasteless!!

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

Tried the Clonakilty pudding at the weekend and was very disappointed. Thought that it was quiet tasteless!!

I thought it tasted like stuffing

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

the vegan pudding in supervalu is much better! It's amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭65535

the vegan pudding in supervalu is much better! It's amazing

Who makes that - is it Supervalu themselves ?

if it's the one in the green-ish wrapper I don't think it's vegan - just veggie.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's this one, class! It's in the "Giving small producers a big chance" section, so maybe not in all supervalu's. Found it on talbot street in dublin.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7LliOcHJze/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭urgelgru

I was never that bothered with sausage rolls when I ate meat so I never tried them, but I absolutely love the "no chicken burgers" in Aldi. They're very substantial compared to the Quorn version. The coating on the latest "spicy" chicken burger is unreal. I'm not as keen on the new jackfruit burgers from the same range but maybe I haven't been cooking them long enough (I usually just chuck a burger in on top of chips I'm cooking in the air fryer and that works OK for the chicken ones but not the jackfruit ones)

Speaking of, I picked up some tinned "young jackfruit" in Aldi this morning. I've never cooked with it but I know there's no shortage of ideas online! €1.95 for a tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Worztron

urgelgru wrote: »
    I was never that bothered with sausage rolls when I ate meat so I never tried them, but I absolutely love the "no chicken burgers" in Aldi. They're very substantial compared to the Quorn version. The coating on the latest "spicy" chicken burger is unreal. I'm not as keen on the new jackfruit burgers from the same range but maybe I haven't been cooking them long enough (I usually just chuck a burger in on top of chips I'm cooking in the air fryer and that works OK for the chicken ones but not the jackfruit ones)

Speaking of, I picked up some tinned "young jackfruit" in Aldi this morning. I've never cooked with it but I know there's no shortage of ideas online! €1.95 for a tin.

Hi urgelgru. Is that ALDI own-brand No Chicken Burgers? I ask because I've also heard of (yet to try), 'Mae's Kitchen Vegan No Chicken Burgers'. Cheers.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Yes, they've had the standard "No chicken" burgers for months now as Plant Menu (re branded from Mae's Kitchen I think...I never compared the recipes and I used to find it hard to get those burgers in the Aldis that I frequent) but the "Spicy No Chicken Burgers" are relatively new to the range. They have a Southern-fried style crunchy coating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi urgelgru. Is that ALDI own-brand No Chicken Burgers? I ask because I've also heard of (yet to try), 'Mae's Kitchen Vegan No Chicken Burgers'. Cheers.

I’m not sure what brand they are. I think there’s 2 different ones. A “chicken” burger & spicy “chicken” burger. I’ve only had the spicy one & it was lovely. I also tried Denny’s new meatless burger. Very nice.

Obviously processed shyte but nice to have the option every now & then.

I see, cheers, Tilikum17 & urgelgru. :)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    I’m not sure what brand they are. I think there’s 2 different ones. A “chicken” burger & spicy “chicken” burger. I’ve only had the spicy one & it was lovely. I also tried Denny’s new meatless burger. Very nice.

Obviously processed shyte but nice to have the option every now & then.

A bit of processed grub now and then is fine as a treat. :-)

They're just so handy to have in the freezer :)

Advertisement