Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How your farm animals are raised

Options
  • 16-06-2018 5:47am

I thought it would be good to post some videos (hopefully all shorter than 5 minutes) to show the actual conditions animals have to live in before they enter the food chain.

I’ll keep the thread updated with newer videos as they are made available and from as many different sources as possible.

https://youtu.be/L_vqIGTKuQE

Comments

Calves born to keep cows producing milk for human consumption.

https://youtu.be/1oTGe41A8Vo

Cows being farmed.

https://youtu.be/lN_YcWOuVqk

The truth can be hard to watch.

https://youtu.be/T48yOYjz5sk

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Like nearly all such videos - it's all US and Australian footage. No one I know of would agree with that type of treatment no matter where it is though.

The videos are examples of some conditions of animals being milked etc in the US and Aus. I would also warrant they are extreme examples.

Thankfully in Ireland we have very high welfare standards and family farms are the norm.

So no that's not how our 'farm animals are raised'

Would be great if you don’t turn this into another anti-farming thread Klopp

https://youtu.be/SXYL1NqL8fs

If I’ve linked correctly I think this is in Ireland.

• Advertisement

If I’ve linked correctly I think this is in Ireland.

Still not how 'our animals are raised' tbh..

Quite rightly that person was brought to trial - the correct thing was done. No-one I know would advocate that type of behaviour.

However what I find astonishing is that many vegan campaigners such as joee carbstrong and others publicly state they do not support any animal welfare improvements or legislation.

It is ironic therefore that the same vegans then use footage of extreme examples like the above to promote their brand of veganism....

I find that stance both dishonest and frankly hypocritical. :mad:

Take for example the many instances of illegal and dangerous driving in thus country. Should we seek to then to ban all vehicles on the basis of those few bad drivers?

No because our laws and legislation is there to prosecute those that break our laws. The same rule applies to anyone breaking the law in relation to animal welfare. It is also beholden for all of us - to support the best welfare policies possible.

You said how thankfully in Ireland it’s different but that case above shows it not.

And as I’ve said before, it’s not about Ireland or Irish farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

gozunda wrote: »
    However what I find astonishing is that many vegan campaigners such as joee carbstrong and others publicly state they do not support any animal welfare improvements or legislation.

It is ironic therefore that the same vegans then use footage of extreme examples like the above to promote their brand of veganism

Vegans typically believe in animals liberation and not animal welfare in which the animal is ultimately killed. How does that make the above ironic? Surely you understand this most basic facet of their ‘brand’ of veganism as you seem to refer to them so regularly.

You said how thankfully in Ireland it’s different but that case above shows it not. And as I’ve said before, it’s not about Ireland or Irish farmers.

I said and I quote "Thankfully in Ireland we have very high welfare standards and family farms are the norm". Hence the successful prosecution based on those legal standards detailed in that news report.

The "Your" used in your thread title is an obvious and pathetic attempt to mislead those in Ireland into believing that is somehow "How Your animals are raised" ...

Yet another anti farming thread by Klopp

Fair warning. This is a very hard watch.

The life of the chicken on your plate -

https://youtu.be/pixGkSFBty0

• Advertisement

Tough choices if this behaviour is standard practice -

https://youtu.be/LW5twv-AIS4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Blaas4life

Fair warning. This is a very hard watch.

The life of the chicken in your plate -
    l]

What of those who rear our own animals and grow our own food as much as possible??

You do raise serious issues about animal cruelty and tbh I would be in favour of banning people from having pets aswell

The life of chickens in particular I couldn't bring myself to eat chicken when out anymore after it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Don’t worry op our household buys Irish produce which is fine since none of this happens here

Blaas4life wrote: »
    What of those who rear our own animals and grow our own food as much as possible??

You do raise serious issues about animal cruelty and tbh I would be in favour of banning people from having pets aswell

The life of chickens in particular I couldn't bring myself to eat chicken when out anymore after it...

The issue at hand here is that those using exteme footage - do so as as propaganda and do not support animal welfare. Many of the principal movers and thinkers of that specific vegan fraction not only seek to exterminate farm animals from the planet - but also seek to eradicate wild carnivores from existence. Do not be led to believe that the same interests have concern for these animals - these videos serve only as propaganda to spread a specific agenda - one where there is no human animal interactions, where entrophy is denied and ultimately a planet where supremacists act as god over all species. A truely dystopian vision ...

Blaas4life wrote: »

I think it’s factory ‘farming’ where the problems lie.

PucaMama wrote: »
    Don’t worry op our household buys Irish produce which is fine since none of this happens here

And more propaganda apparently squeezed from one news report. It remains Ireland has legislation in place that supports very good welfare standards. As in that news report as for dangerous drivers - such behaviour is abhorrent and those who use extremes for the purposes propaganda are at best disingenuous

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Eamonn8448

OP do you know how plants are raised in Ireland , lost count of how many pigeons and crows ive shot, rabbits are scarce enough but shot a few, not going to even attempt to estimate how many insects were killed by sprays. Next time you eat your Irish greens just remember blood was shed to put that food on your plate and before you go all snowflake we do it just to make ends meat , margins are tight enough as it is.
    On the animal welfare part here most farmers want to make max profit which means happy healthy animals, a few bad farmers around alright but they are a dying breed, trying to blacken everyone is just downright unfair.
    you made a choice to be vegan and thats fair enough in my book but have a proper look at where the food you eat comes from and how its grown before you start spreading this bs and misinformation.
    i will grow you veg where minimum damage was done to insects/animals but you willing to pay the price it costs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

PucaMama wrote: »
    Front cover of todays Daily Mail may suggest otherwise.

eezipc wrote: »

Any chance of a link to that article ?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

eezipc wrote: »

Just read the article on Twitter.

Pretty horrendous stuff.

So much for strict EU regulations.

Is it safe to assume this could be fairly standard practice ?

I wonder if they will release the actual footage.

Any chance of a link to that article ?

Thanks.

Not sure if I’ve done this right.

https://www.pressreader.com/ireland/irish-daily-mail/20180618/281724090266348

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Have had to delete a lot of posts on here, any more posts about recipes with animals in them, blatant whataboutism and so on will not be tolerated and will result in bans.
    Feel free to discuss links and keep on topic

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

On a personal note much of the food we eat does not come from Ireland, particularly in processed foods but also with other produce, we also export animals to places with lower standards/different practices so sometimes what happens in other countries can be important to us also. It can be important to factor this into your purchases when you make them.

There is also a video OP put together about Ireland on youtube, that everybody can go wild discussing accuracies/inaccuracies with each other:

This is a picture of the paper:

onJQHr0.jpg

Yeah. I read the article.

‘Thousands of calves every month’.

Shocking stuff. There is so much hidden from the public’s eye when it comes to animals.

The mantra of ‘it doesn’t happen here in Ireland where we have strict regulations’ means absolutely nothing. Hot air.

Farmers talk of tight margins as the reason they treat their animals so well but the opposite could just as easily be true just like this article shows.

Yea read that article ^^. Having read the story in full - it boils down to hauliers allegedly missing a rest stop for the transported animals on way to the Netherlands. The hauliers says the route taken plus rest stops was approved. Who is correct?

Of note the alleged rearing conditions do not not take place in Ireland. .

What ever anyone may believe about eating veal or otherwise - the language is indeed shocking. Shockingly bad e.g. "thousands of baby calves etc" - translates from bad English to actually mean 'baby babies' (sic).

The two week old calves magically become three weeks old half way through the article.

The article also goes on repeatedly about calves 'lowing' - detailing that this is "the familiar 'lowing' sound when they are seeking their mothers" ...

That is complete billox and is another example of sensationalism as 'lowing' is in fact the term normally used to describe the normal deep low sound characteristic of cattle. Never heard used by farmers to describe calves calling for others tbh.

The article also makes a huhaw about standard group type cattle housing ie slated units. That type of housing is used and approved within the EU. However Calves of a couple of weeks ime are rarely housed on that type of concrete slat due to danger of falling and hurting their legs.

Leaving aside the sensationalism - I would like to see more of what is actually the story between the DoA and the hauliers in question. There is little if any reporting on that actual story and instead the article warbles off all over the place about 'baby babies' and 'lowing calves bs

Considering that these animals are not slaughtered until eight or nine months when they are not 'babies' is completely glossed over.

This from the group - Compassion in World Farming
    The EU provides significant protection for veal calves by requiring group housing beyond eight weeks of age and fibrous rations beyond two weeks of age. Some EU countries, such as the UK, provide additional protections above the EU minimum.

See:

https://www.ciwf.com/farm-animals/cows/veal-calves/

Please note the stark difference between the US and the EU as detailed previously.

I do hope the DoA get to the truth of this story though it does not surprise me that the usual suspects are buttering up this piece with frankly fairly rubbish sensationalist commentary ...

On a personal note much of the food we eat does not come from Ireland, particularly in processed foods but also with other produce, we also export animals to places with lower standards/different practices so sometimes what happens in other countries can be important to us also. It can be important to factor this into your purchases when you make them.

There is also a video OP put together about Ireland on youtube, that everybody can go wild discussing accuracies/inaccuracies with each other:

I agree with the issue of imported foods and standards. Something many vegans and non vegans apparently ignore when buying imported foods both processed and otherwise.

That said anyone can find stories that show the worse of just about everything eg:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/jan/16/vegans-stomach-unpalatable-truth-quinoa

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/04/why-almond-milk-is-so-controversial.html

Yea saw the video you listed before - at nearly an hour long I think we would need to dedicate a whole forum just to start tbh.

Btw are you saying that Klopp as the OP put the video together or did I read that incorrectly?

Jesus this is heartbreaking.

https://youtu.be/CsgZr2v4VGo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Eamonn8448

`OP you not going to reply to me ? Ignorance is bliss and all that but im on the frontline , i supply your cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower leeks, potatoes, turnips etc, Im telling you for a fact that animals are harmed in the production of veg - we call them pests , lets see you do it in your vegan way or just ignore the normal and pretend these things dont happen - without farmers you starve and i for one is bloody ashamed to feed an idiot like you , go spread your poison but without us people like you cant live
    Any vegan here is welcome to come down and see if you can do it any better , we are slaves to the land not to your cult

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement