Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2019 Brides/Grooms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭love_love

Paid a big chunk of our venue bill today, and then promptly got a reminder text that our house insurance is due! All fun and games!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hanaimai

Did anyone else hear from their venue about price increases following the hospitality VAT increase announced in the budget? Our venue is raising the price of the wedding packages and accommodation by 4.5% from 1 January. I presume all venues are affected by the VAT increase but just wondering what other venues are doing?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

hanaimai wrote: »
    Hi all! I think I'm going for a 2020 wedding but hopefully it's okay to jump in here with a quick question!

I'm a 2020 wedding too, I'm just using this thread for now until the 2020 one goes up!

I'm no use on the VAT increase question I'm afraid as our wedding will be abroad, hopefully someone else here will know though.

We've provisionally booked our venue - held the date and paying the deposit this month - so we have our wedding date now! That'll make it much easier when organising everything else.

I've found a photographer I really like too and he's free on that date, and he's suggested a videographer and a DJ that we're going to check out too. If we can get all those things set then that's some of the biggest things out of the way!

(I still haven't lost my optimism...)

Did anyone else hear from their venue about price increases following the hospitality VAT increase announced in the budget? Our venue is raising the price of the wedding packages and accommodation by 4.5% from 1 January. I presume all venues are affected by the VAT increase but just wondering what other venues are doing?

Do they stipulate in your contract that they will pass on any VAT increases? Ours doesn't and we haven't heard from them so I am assuming we are unaffected. I have a friend who is affected by it, and it's in their contract.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Scarinae wrote: »
    I'm a 2020 wedding too, I'm just using this thread for now until the 2020 one goes up!

The 2020 thread will only go up when someone starts it - the mods don’t make a point of starting them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

love_love wrote: »
    Do they stipulate in your contract that they will pass on any VAT increases? Ours doesn't and we haven't heard from them so I am assuming we are unaffected. I have a friend who is affected by it, and it's in their contract.

Our contract is the same no mention of VAT increases and we haven’t heard from them.

Our contract doesn't say anything about VAT specifically, but it does say the venue can alter the prices. It's not too much extra fortunately, just never really thought about it as something that might happen! I feel worse for people getting married early next year though, I imagine they are at a tighter budgeting stage. At least we have time to factor in the increase anyway! Who knows, maybe it'll come back down in the next budget!!

I'm glad I negotiated so much before entering into the contract, coz although it looks like no increases will be passed on to us, I doubt there's any room now for them to throw in some extra bits.

Something I would say to anyone is that room rates which have not been specifically agreed as part of your package may have gone up. If they haven't already, you might want to encourage guests to book now before any potential increase. It's something I'll be looking into in the next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

My contract does state it and i contacted them before the budget - they said that "most likely" they would pass it on but i haven't heard from them since - it worked out around 2.20/head on the food.
    I booked our rooms in the hotel the day before the budget so i presume once they are booked then any increases shouldn't affect it if they do increase the hotel room rates too.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

Scarinae wrote: »
    Hi all! I think I'm going for a 2020 wedding but hopefully it's okay to jump in here with a quick question!

I'm no use on the VAT increase question I'm afraid as our wedding will be abroad, hopefully someone else here will know though.

We've provisionally booked our venue - held the date and paying the deposit this month - so we have our wedding date now! That'll make it much easier when organising everything else.

I've found a photographer I really like too and he's free on that date, and he's suggested a videographer and a DJ that we're going to check out too. If we can get all those things set then that's some of the biggest things out of the way!

(I still haven't lost my optimism...)
    Do you mind me asking where you are getting married as ours is abroad too and always eager to compare notes!

• Advertisement

DRINKS RECEPTION IDEAS REQUIRED!

What are people doing for the drinks reception? There will be approx 2hr gap between the ceremony and the dinner, all taking place in the hotel. The ceremony singer will be singing during this time too and the hotel provides tea/coffee and mini scones - i will be asking about what additions i can make to this but what are other people providing? We obviously will be off having pictures etc done but don't want people feeling "bored" waiting!

Its not until October 2019!

DRINKS RECEPTION IDEAS REQUIRED!

What are people doing for the drinks reception? There will be approx 2hr gap between the ceremony and the dinner, all taking place in the hotel. The ceremony singer will be singing during this time too and the hotel provides tea/coffee and mini scones - i will be asking about what additions i can make to this but what are other people providing? We obviously will be off having pictures etc done but don't want people feeling "bored" waiting!

Its not until October 2019!

Absolutely nowt :P I don't remember being at any weddings that had any activities or entertainment between the ceremony and dinner, and I've never missed them. As a guest before the ceremony, you usually just have a quick natter with whoever you're sitting with, and then properly catch up with people at the drinks reception, as well as getting yourself fully checked in or having a quick breather and touch up in the room, or whatever. The 2 hours will fly by :)

My reply may be entirely unhelpful if you've already decided that you definitely want to have more on offer at your drinks reception :o

Absolutely nowt :P I don't remember being at any weddings that had any activities or entertainment between the ceremony and dinner, and I've never missed them. As a guest before the ceremony, you usually just have a quick natter with whoever you're sitting with, and then properly catch up with people at the drinks reception, as well as getting yourself fully checked in or having a quick breather and touch up in the room, or whatever. The 2 hours will fly by :)

My reply may be entirely unhelpful if you've already decided that you definitely want to have more on offer at your drinks reception :o

Thanks 😀, no, I've not definitely decided on anything, I just have no idea on what is "expected" to be honest....it's not activities I'm thinking of, more finger foods and drinks and wondering what extras I should be supplying other than what the hotel is offering in the package which is mini scones tea and cofee

We're having some finger foods but again I wouldn't automatically expect that - the only thing I would anticipate as a guest would be a glass of something bubbly (which I have no interest in!). Something my friend did last year, which I think was so clever, was that they cut their cake directly after the ceremony so people could get pictures etc in the beautiful room and everyone knew it was happening (I always end up missing the cake cutting!) - then afterwards, they had slices of cake for people to chomp on at the drinks reception :) I thought that was a fab way of making sure the cake got eaten, and the couple aren't forking out even more money for more finger food.

I like the idea of cutting the cake early. Might steal that. ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Deanov wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking where you are getting married as ours is abroad too and always eager to compare notes!
    Ours will be in Canada, so I'm doing the initial arranging from abroad and am moving there in the spring. In some ways I would have loved to have the wedding at home in Ireland since I'll be living so far away, but my boyfriend's Dad is too frail to travel and it's more important to us that he can attend.

Where is yours going to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I posted a while ago that I'm not feeling the whole wedding thing and I struggle to get enthusiastic about the planning.
    After talking to my partner we realized that it's a mutual thing and we decided to cancel the whole affair and elope instead. We are now going abroad in March and planned a nice trip and we're both beyond excited, it already feels like the best decision ever.
    2 weeks away so it's an all in one thing but we see it more as an amazing holiday with some marriage side effect, we haven't been away in a very long time.

I'm really excited and it shows that there's no one size fits all - recipe!

LirW wrote: »
    I posted a while ago that I'm not feeling the whole wedding thing and I struggle to get enthusiastic about the planning.
    After talking to my partner we realized that it's a mutual thing and we decided to cancel the whole affair and elope instead. We are now going abroad in March and planned a nice trip and we're both beyond excited, it already feels like the best decision ever.
    2 weeks away so it's an all in one thing but we see it more as an amazing holiday with some marriage side effect, we haven't been away in a very long time.

I'm really excited and it shows that there's no one size fits all - recipe!

That's brilliant and sounds like the right decision for you. I can totally understand where you're coming from - I was very tempted by a teeny tiny wedding with just immediate family, but decided to go for the full affair in the end. It's going okay so far but I'm really hoping I don't regret my choice! I'm just wondering if you lost any money by cancelling, like deposits etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

That's brilliant and sounds like the right decision for you. I can totally understand where you're coming from - I was very tempted by a teeny tiny wedding with just immediate family, but decided to go for the full affair in the end. It's going okay so far but I'm really hoping I don't regret my choice! I'm just wondering if you lost any money by cancelling, like deposits etc.?

We lost the venue deposit, which wasn't that much and I have to get in touch with the photographer and see if she can change what we already paid to a small shooting. A small price to pay though compared to the other costs when you aren't even happy with what you've planned :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

LirW wrote: »
    We lost the venue deposit, which wasn't that much and I have to get in touch with the photographer and see if she can change what we already paid to a small shooting. A small price to pay though compared to the other costs when you aren't even happy with what you've planned :)

Sounds like a lovely idea to elope! Great that you guys are feeling happier now.

This day next year I'm getting married! Hooray!!!

• Advertisement

Any advice for song length for walking down the aisle? I need to get the measurement of our aisle coz it's very short...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Any advice for song length for walking down the aisle? I need to get the measurement of our aisle coz it's very short...

We got married last month and for my entrance we were guided in when the music had kicked in. We didn't have live music so let the song kick off and my Sister went, waited and then we walked in.

I also had picked the song a few days earlier whist out in the car. We had a Niece on music and a playlist.

Designing our invitations at the moment... Can anyone suggest how they left space for writing people's names on the invites? We're going with vistaprint but none of their templates seem to have an area for actually addressing the invite. We're not including RSVP cards, we'll be asking people to RSVP by text or email.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 CK2019

Designing our invitations at the moment... Can anyone suggest how they left space for writing people's names on the invites? We're going with vistaprint but none of their templates seem to have an area for actually addressing the invite. We're not including RSVP cards, we'll be asking people to RSVP by text or email.

We are going with Optimal Print so have the same thing - hold down the shift key along with the underscore/hyphen key (ususally beside the zero) and it will draw a line for you and you can write peoples names on it :)

I'm wondering more about design-wise where it fits on the invitation? I feel like our design would look skewed with that in the corner :( We probably just have to go back to the drawing board, but wondering if anyone has any outside the box suggestions!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭geez

Hi getting married September 19 and struggling to find nice bridesmaid dresses the thing is I am having four bit three of them are living away either travelling til next year or living abroad how have people come around this in terms of getting them to suit and fit? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Sparky85

geez wrote: »
    Hi getting married September 19 and struggling to find nice bridesmaid dresses the thing is I am having four bit three of them are living away either travelling til next year or living abroad how have people come around this in terms of getting them to suit and fit? Thanks

I just got my bridesmaid dresses from ps frocks. It’s an Aussie website, delivered within 2 weeks, great quality and they have wrap maxi dresses that can fit most. The ones I got are not traditional bridesmaid dresses but they’re fab on, very nice cut and fall beautifully, the sizing is correct but because they wrap they can be tied tighter or looser to fit. They have a standard length, my sister is 5’6” and they suit her with a 3” heel.

They also have the multi way dresses that are very popular right now.

https://www.psfrocks.com.au/dresses-online/bridesmaids-dresses.html?sort=newest

I got my bridesmaid dresses from ASOS, I was lucky enough to have all my bridesmaids together to try things on but the only thing that was important for me was to ensure a colour match. As it turns out, they all chose the same dress but yous could easily look together on ASOS and then they can order what they want to try on?

The other thing is, you mention that they're travelling until next year or living abroad - Sept 19 is a fair distance away, is there any time between now and then where you will all be together? Unless you're going traditional, you shouldn't need too long of a lead time for them.

Very productive day yesterday, booked our honeymoon, bought our wedding rings and pick out the bridesmaid dressess. :) Just the flowers, cake and my dress to get sorted. Roll on September :D

• Advertisement

Help! I'm supposed to have a dress fitting tomorrow morning but I forgot to buy the Confetti Cups I was asked to have for this fitting! Peaches and Cream is closed today and I have no idea where else in Dublin would stock them. Any suggestions? I've already moved the fitting once so I really want to keep the appointment tomorrow if I can.

Advertisement