Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Assumed ingredients in food/drink ordered?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

cormie wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but that's completely untrue to say nobody is going to order vegan desserts or coffee unless they're a vegan. Can I ask what desserts you had that were extremely unpleasant and where you had them?

They were a selection my other half brought back to try before giving them to her lactose intolerant niece. There were 5 or 6 different ones.
    You put chocolate in inverted commas too, don't forget that chocolate by definition is vegan. You've probably had more than a few desserts, chocolates, biscuits etc that were in fact vegan without even realising it.

You may have a poor palate but most people do not. I would be fully aware if there was something amiss with what I ordered. Assuming you are a vegan you have to remember that you now have most likely forgotten what a proper cappuccino or truffle taste like. When I started eating meat after being a vegetarian for 8 years I was horrified at the meat substitutes I enjoyed only a few weeks before.
    I think in general, vegans are scrupulous when it comes to what they are ordering and don't assume anything to be vegan, there's so many products derived from animals it's insane.

You have failed to answer my question here though. If somebody snuck dairy as an ingredient in to your food in an underhanded way but you enjoyed it before being told what happened would you be ok with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

duploelabs wrote: »
    Unless there are allergens involved then no. The bastardisation of dishes with chefs doing their own twists on classics is extensive, but not illegal. I've seen 'Eggs Benedict' published on a menu but loaded with pulled pork, avocado and others, whereas that's not traditionally an Eggs Benedict it isn't against the law

Actually I think I overlooked where you say "unless there are allergens involved, then no"... so what about the case of calling a cappucino a cappucino even though it's made with almonds, sesame seeds and cocoa, so when there are allergens involved? What extra extent does the cafe need to go to make the customer aware of this other than ingredients listed on the menu/blackboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Actually I think I overlooked where you say "unless there are allergens involved, then no"... so what about the case of calling a cappucino a cappucino even though it's made with almonds, sesame seeds and cocoa, so when there are allergens involved? What extra extent does the cafe need to go to make the customer aware of this other than ingredients listed on the menu/blackboard?

Oh FFS, unless there are one of the aforementioned allergens involved in the dish then there is no responsibility on the cafe operator to inform. End of. And your talk of litigation outside display of the 14 allergens is just absolute b*llocks and you'd get laughed out of court

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

If you want to introduce customers to new things, offer them as clearly marked freebies when they order their regular. Make them a tiny almond milk cappuccino or whatever so they can taste it and decide for themselves if they want to order one in the future.
    Any notion of secretly giving people a plant-based milk alternative as a base for their coffee drink is just silly, especially on the basis that you think they'll be ok with it just because they didn't specify they wanted a cow's milk cappuccino or whatever! People like to get what they pay for, but yeah, if you offer the opportunity to consciously try an alternative, and if they like it, then maybe they will turn away from the dairy 'dark side'.
    I don't drink milk and I choose to drink my coffee black, so what you're suggesting wouldn't effect me, but to take my mum as an example, she's allergic to soya and oats and she always feels ill after drinking almond milk, so even though these aren't on the specified allergens list, if you were to quietly serve a coffee drink using one of these alternatives you'd have one (violently) sick customer on your hands.
    Your idea reminds me a bit of when people conceal vegetables in young children's food - longterm it doesn't work, because you're not teaching them to try something new by trying to fool them into eating something they don't want, even if it is for the greater good.

OnDraught wrote: »
    They were a selection my other half brought back to try before giving them to her lactose intolerant niece. There were 5 or 6 different ones.

You may have a poor palate but most people do not. I would be fully aware if there was something amiss with what I ordered. Assuming you are a vegan you have to remember that you now have most likely forgotten what a proper cappuccino or truffle taste like. When I started eating meat after being a vegetarian for 8 years I was horrified at the meat substitutes I enjoyed only a few weeks before.

You have failed to answer my question here though. If somebody snuck dairy as an ingredient in to your food in an underhanded way but you enjoyed it before being told what happened would you be ok with that?

So were the 5/6 ones desserts (freshly made cakes, mouses etc) or were they store bought confectionary/chocolate etc? Any chance of brand names if so? Just curious as there's a lot of muck out there, same way there's a lot of apples and mandarins that when parents introduce kids to fruit for the first time, if they don't choose good ones, then the kid will then think all apples and all mandarins taste like this.

I'm not saying there's something amiss with what you ordered or anything about palate (I believe I've a great palate thanks :D). I'm saying that you've most likely had plenty of vegan products, that just happen to be vegan by design, oreos or chocolate or apple turnovers or the many cakes, desserts, confectionery etc that just happens to be vegan anyway.

I've tested a lot of foods on my own mini relations and I think once you get approval from a kid who otherwise has a terrible diet, then you know you're on the right track!

As I said, I think vegans in general are scrupulous and should never assume something is vegan, no matter how vegan it sounds, the same way someone with allergies shouldn't assume something is allergen free I guess. If somebody "snuck in" dairy after reading the ingredients or confirming with staff that what was being ordered didn't contain any animal products, then that's a dick thing to do and dangerous if the customer also happened to have allergies to the specific food, so that's certainly not ok.

You'll quite often find something referred to as vegan, only to find out it contains honey or some other animal derived product.

• Advertisement

Oh FFS, unless there are one of the aforementioned allergens involved in the dish then there is no responsibility on the cafe operator to inform. End of. And your talk of litigation outside display of the 14 allergens is just absolute b*llocks and you'd get laughed out of court

I'm only brought up litigation after brynne said:

"expecting a customer with a nut allergy to check the blackboard when ordering a common beverage that they could reasonably expect to be made with dairy milk, is just asking for litigation."

and if I understand you correctly, you're saying that as long as the ingredients are listed on a menu or blackboard, then the cafe have adhered to regulations and would not be at any risk of legal recourse.

I didn't cop it earlier, but what I now think you're also saying is that only the 14 allergens need to be listed. So both of the below would suffice:

Non vegan establishment menu:
    Cappuccino: made with local organic milk (essential to be listed as it's one of the 14 allergens) and Kenyan roasted coffee beans (not essential)

Vegan establishment menu:
    Cappuccino: with frothy oat milk and Kenyan roasted coffee beans (neither are essential as neither are in the 14 listed allergens).

So the vegan establishment could simply list it as "Cappuccino" and it would then be up to the patron to enquire further?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

FYP

Cappuccino: with frothy oat milk-substitute and Kenyan roasted coffee beans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

dee_mc wrote: »
    If you want to introduce customers to new things, offer them as clearly marked freebies when they order their regular. Make them a tiny almond milk cappuccino or whatever so they can taste it and decide for themselves if they want to order one in the future.
    Any notion of secretly giving people a plant-based milk alternative as a base for their coffee drink is just silly, especially on the basis that you think they'll be ok with it just because they didn't specify they wanted a cow's milk cappuccino or whatever! People like to get what they pay for, but yeah, if you offer the opportunity to consciously try an alternative, and if they like it, then maybe they will turn away from the dairy 'dark side'.
    I don't drink milk and I choose to drink my coffee black, so what you're suggesting wouldn't effect me, but to take my mum as an example, she's allergic to soya and oats and she always feels ill after drinking almond milk, so even though these aren't on the specified allergens list, if you were to quietly serve a coffee drink using one of these alternatives you'd have one (violently) sick customer on your hands.
    Your idea reminds me a bit of when people conceal vegetables in young children's food - longterm it doesn't work, because you're not teaching them to try something new by trying to fool them into eating something they don't want, even if it is for the greater good.

That's not really the point, especially if the establishment is vegan anyway, I don't think they could be giving away freebies the whole time, or spending time making tiny samples for those who enter a vegan premises and order a cappuccino.

Again, it's not about secretly giving anyone anything, it's about a more efficient process of using one milk by default, that just happens to not be what that drink is conventionally made with, because the conventional ingredient doesn't fit in with the ethos of the establishment.

Your mother is a great example of where caution needs to be taken. It's about getting the balance of not losing customers who have an unfounded fear of anything unconventional, but then at the same time making sure each customer enjoys what's on offer as much as possible, so your mother could go for rice milk instead for example if the option was there.

Graham wrote: »
    FYP

Cappuccino: with frothy oat milk-substitute and Kenyan roasted coffee beans

Or just "Cappucino" if I understand duploelabs correctly?
    This post has been deleted.

I'm aware of this, but it's not something I agree with, it's not something that's even across the board, with coconut milk, almond milk, peanut butter etc all being allowed to be labelled as such.

I wonder how they'll approach the milky way, pretty sure that wasn't squeezed through the teats of a mammal that was artificially inseminated against their will!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Hey folks,
    Just curious on this one. Say if somebody ordered, for example, a cappuccino and it was made with almond milk, is there any legal requirement for it to be made with milk meant for baby cows, based on it being ordered using a word typically associated with something that's traditionally made with certain ingredients?

Also, is there an onus on the staff to verbally (or otherwise) inform the customer of potential allergens, or is the onus on the customer to let the staff know of allergies?

Any feedback would be great :)

Yes, everything sold for consumption is supposed to have the list of allergic ingredients on it, this has to be written in bold on containers and packaging, and in menu in restaurants they also have to have their list of allergens on each choice of dish,

Or just "Cappucino" if I understand duploelabs correctly?

I'm aware of this, but it's not something I agree with, it's not something that's even across the board, with coconut milk, almond milk, peanut butter etc all being allowed to be labelled as such.

I wonder how they'll approach the milky way, pretty sure that wasn't squeezed through the teats of a mammal that was artificially inseminated against their will!

A certain degree of cop-on has to be maintained, which you seem to be devoid of, or are you going to start giving out that buffalo wings are from buffaloes or that baby back ribs aren't in fact made from babies

goat2 wrote: »
    Yes, everything sold for consumption is supposed to have the list of allergic ingredients on it, this has to be written in bold on containers and packaging, and in menu in restaurants they also have to have their list of allergens on each choice of dish,

OP has been told this repeatedly but is ignoring it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

it is up to the customer to take care that they specify what allergies, If I have an allergy, I do not expect the café owner or shop to know this, it is up to me to read the list of allergens, or if I am not sure to discuss my allergy with the assistant, I have worked in the food industry, and when working there, I had to know all the allergens and this was a great help for me and customer, usually anyone that had an allergy and were scared of this enough, would point this out to me, I would not like to be the cause of them getting sick due to my lack of knowledge, but they would have to say to me first thst they are allergic, I have no way of knowing anyones allergies

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If I order a Cappucino and the restaurant doesn't make it with cow milk then I'd expect to be informed, if they don't then it's a sign of how little respect they have for their customers. Where do you draw the line all coffee is decaf because you don't agree with people getting a caffeine buzz.

The only time it might be OK is if the premises has multiple signs saying everything here is vegan , then I could go somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

You put chocolate in inverted commas too, don't forget that chocolate by definition is vegan. You've probably had more than a few desserts, chocolates, biscuits etc that were in fact vegan without even realising it.

Since when is chocolate vegan? Most chocolate I know is made with milk and therefore definitely not vegan. And I know this as I have a lactose intolerance so am completely aware of what has dairy in it and what doesn't.
    I think in general, vegans are scrupulous when it comes to what they are ordering and don't assume anything to be vegan, there's so many products derived from animals it's insane.

Yes vegans and vegetarians are scrupulous as they are not in the majority so need to double check that their specific, chosen lifestyle choice is catered for. If this was reversed and someone decided to sneak some meat onto a pizza for a vegi or vegan as "maybe they'd like it if they tried it" there'd be uproar and rightly so!

I completely disagree with the premise offered. I can't have milk. I use soy drink on my cereal in the morning but have hated any hot chocolate I made using it (don't take anything in tea anyway). My other half really hates the taste of it in hot drinks so would be disgusted if a cafe randomly decided he should try it and he only found out after paying when drinking it. And yes you can taste the difference. People are allowed to try or not try things if they want but it shouldn't be forced upon them by a cafe!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Thanks again for the input. So just as long as the ingredients are listed on a blackboard/menu, the actual names used are irrelevant? So if someone had "cappuccino" as an item name on the blackboard and it was listed with ingredients of almonds, sesame seeds and cocoa (so not even any coffee), there'd be no issues there?

If I ordered this "cappuccino" well firstly hopefully I would have my epi pen with me and secondly I'd be pissed there's not even coffee ...why would you call it a cappuccino?

Deliberately misleading customers as to what the food ingredients are is such a bizarre business model especially when there is a trend towards transparency with ingredients and consumers are more knowledgable and concerned with what they are eating.

The example you gave earlier of an "oul lad" looking at desserts and not ordering because they were vegan is an example of poor staff training imo, rather than pushing the desserts as vegan being the main feature the staff member should have been prepared with spiels for each item eg: "this apple tart is made with fresh apples from Johnnys orchard", "this brownie is made with dark chocolate so is lovely and rich but not too heavy and is perfect with coffee"

A certain degree of cop-on has to be maintained, which you seem to be devoid of, or are you going to start giving out that buffalo wings are from buffaloes or that baby back ribs aren't in fact made from babies
    OP has been told this repeatedly but is ignoring it

What's with the hostility? I've been respectful and thankful for your input. I understand that that the allergens have to be listed and understood that long ago. I was a bit confused as to whether all ingredients had to be listed, or just the allergens, but it seems now that only the allergens have to be listed if I'm understanding it correctly. Miscommunication and misunderstanding does not mean I'm ignoring what's being said.

Del2005 wrote: »
    If I order a Cappucino and the restaurant doesn't make it with cow milk then I'd expect to be informed, if they don't then it's a sign of how little respect they have for their customers. Where do you draw the line all coffee is decaf because you don't agree with people getting a caffeine buzz.

The only time it might be OK is if the premises has multiple signs saying everything here is vegan , then I could go somewhere else.

How is it disrespect for their customers if they are a vegan establishment. I mean if they called a homemade bar they made a snickers, are you going to be upset becuase there's not powdered milk in it?
    Since when is chocolate vegan? Most chocolate I know is made with milk and therefore definitely not vegan. And I know this as I have a lactose intolerance so am completely aware of what has dairy in it and what doesn't.

Yes vegans and vegetarians are scrupulous as they are not in the majority so need to double check that their specific, chosen lifestyle choice is catered for. If this was reversed and someone decided to sneak some meat onto a pizza for a vegi or vegan as "maybe they'd like it if they tried it" there'd be uproar and rightly so!

I completely disagree with the premise offered. I can't have milk. I use soy drink on my cereal in the morning but have hated any hot chocolate I made using it (don't take anything in tea anyway). My other half really hates the taste of it in hot drinks so would be disgusted if a cafe randomly decided he should try it and he only found out after paying when drinking it. And yes you can taste the difference. People are allowed to try or not try things if they want but it shouldn't be forced upon them by a cafe!

Milk chocolate yes. A lot of dark chocolates won't have any milk, but just be careful as they may be made on the same production line as those using milk.

Again, this isn't about sneaking anything anywhere. The cafe isn't forcing anything upon anyone. The cafe has a product and the customer can choose whether to buy it or not.
    Scraggs wrote: »
    If I ordered this "cappuccino" well firstly hopefully I would have my epi pen with me and secondly I'd be pissed there's not even coffee ...why would you call it a cappuccino?

Deliberately misleading customers as to what the food ingredients are is such a bizarre business model especially when there is a trend towards transparency with ingredients and consumers are more knowledgable and concerned with what they are eating.

The example you gave earlier of an "oul lad" looking at desserts and not ordering because they were vegan is an example of poor staff training imo, rather than pushing the desserts as vegan being the main feature the staff member should have been prepared with spiels for each item eg: "this apple tart is made with fresh apples from Johnnys orchard", "this brownie is made with dark chocolate so is lovely and rich but not too heavy and is perfect with coffee"

I was just giving an example to see if naming something that has none of the traditional ingredients is still ok from a legal perspective. Again it's not about deliberately misleading customers. A burger is just a shape. It's not misleading to call something a burger just because it has no meat in it.

I completely agree with the "oul lad" scenario, I actually said it to the person after that I bet if she didn't mention the word vegan, he would have bought one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Milky is an adjective and as such its meaning depends on the context. Something can have a milky taste (milky bar, various nut 'milks'), milky consistency (when airbrushing it is often advised to have a paint consistency like milk i.e. just slightly thicker than water), milky color (e.g. pasty irish persons skin tone). Where as milk has a proper distinct definition.

If a business is deciding to change ingredients from what is considered the standard and is what the vast majority of people would expect for a dish/drink then they should explicitly inform the customer and let them make and informed decision.

This should go both ways also, so if I make an onion bhaji, traditionally onions and batter, but decide it would be tasty with some chicken in it also that should be explicitly stated as it is a variation from the traditional and what people would reasonably expect. Would you like if you were surprise served an Onion Bhaji with chicken?

• Advertisement

Milk chocolate yes. A lot of dark chocolates won't have any milk, but just be careful as they may be made on the same production line as those using milk.

While high quality dark chocolate probably won't, you might be surprised if you go looking at a lot of dark chocolate that it does contain some milk. Thus making it not vegan or dairy free at all.
    Again, this isn't about sneaking anything anywhere. The cafe isn't forcing anything upon anyone. The cafe has a product and the customer can choose whether to buy it or not.

But you said in your second post:
    It's not for me, it's just a hypothetical situation really. In terms of why, well people are easily put off by fear of the unknown. If you ask someone what milk they would like, almond, oat, soy or rice milk for example, and they've never had any of them, they are far more likely to cancel the order than they would be likely to complain or have any problem with the taste of a plant milk.

I remember being in one establishment and there was an oul lad in and got up to buy one of the desserts on display and the staff member told him they were all vegan and he asked what's that and he ended up not getting one. If they didn't mention this I'd bet he would have bought one and thoroughly enjoyed it!

So you were suggesting not telling people which isn't right.

Put it like this. I ordered a burger when on holidays. It just said "chicken burger with salad" so the only thing I asked was if there was onion on it as I didn't want any. Burger comes out with a slice of cheese on it. Initial response from the waiter is that all burgers have cheese. This was then followed by replacing of my order. People are entitled to know what they are getting when they order. If you're differing from the norm, you should inform.

Thanks for the input. Good point about milky vs milk. Although the fact coconut and almond milk are still allowed to use the term, as well as peanut butter etc, it makes it a bit of a half arsed law and I wouldn't be surprised if it was instigated by lobbying from those with vested interests in animal agriculture.

I'd agree that an already established non vegan business changing it's ingredients should definitely inform customers, like these guys: https://www.riseofthevegan.com/blog/cafe-ditches-dairy-after-watching-youtube-video

I don't think vegan businesses should need to make a big deal that they are vegan, for the simple fact it can throw people off what might be a very enjoyable product for them based on the misinformation and misconception veganism has.

I think it's just safest not to assume anything.

I think this thread really highlights why you need to tread carefully around food choices.

People get very passionate about it.

It would be unwise to try and foist vegan alternatives on anyone, whether that's done by omission or otherwise the result is likely to be the same.

While high quality dark chocolate probably won't, you might be surprised if you go looking at a lot of dark chocolate that it does contain some milk. Thus making it not vegan or dairy free at all.

But you said in your second post:

So you were suggesting not telling people which isn't right.

Put it like this. I ordered a burger when on holidays. It just said "chicken burger with salad" so the only thing I asked was if there was onion on it as I didn't want any. Burger comes out with a slice of cheese on it. Initial response from the waiter is that all burgers have cheese. This was then followed by replacing of my order. People are entitled to know what they are getting when they order. If you're differing from the norm, you should inform.

Yep, always read the labels and you'll be grand. Milk is a cheap ingredient so it's no surprise it's found in completely unexpected places.

At what point does it become not right, not to tell a customer of a vegan establishment that what they ordered is vegan though? Again if somebody ordered a truffle as mentioned earlier, would it be sneaky not to tell them it wasn't made with animal products, or if someone ordered a homemade snickers cake slice, should they be told it doesn't contain any milk powder?

Yep, always read the labels and you'll be grand. Milk is a cheap ingredient so it's no surprise it's found in completely unexpected places.

At what point does it become not right, not to tell a customer of a vegan establishment that what they ordered is vegan though? Again if somebody ordered a truffle as mentioned earlier, would it be sneaky not to tell them it wasn't made with animal products, or if someone ordered a homemade snickers cake slice, should they be told it doesn't contain any milk powder?

But there was nothing in your original posts that stated that it would be a vegan restaurant - hence my confusion.

If I go into a vegetarian or vegan restaurant of course I expect there not to be animal products in use but if I'm in a cafe that has not been advertised as either, then there is a presumption there.

Graham wrote: »
    I think this thread really highlights why you need to tread carefully around food choices.

People get very passionate about it.

It would be unwise to try and foist vegan alternatives on anyone, whether that's done by omission or otherwise the result is likely to be the same.

Yes and where some will ironically cry for humanity at the unfairness of being served something that's not the conventional, traditional ingredient, others will see the very notion of serving milk taken from another mammal for human consumption as the ultimate act of unfairness.

I think the acceptance of serving an alternative is a lot more common than the anecdotal evidence here anyway. Having spoken to owners of vegan cafes, it seems most non vegan customers are happy to try an alternative milk anyway and very few have issue with the lack of milk meant for cows babies.

But there was nothing in your original posts that stated that it would be a vegan restaurant - hence my confusion.

If I go into a vegetarian or vegan restaurant of course I expect there not to be animal products in use but if I'm in a cafe that has not been advertised as either, then there is a presumption there.

I would hope and I think it may actually eventually be the case, that such presumptions are no longer justified and the original post was more just on trying to decipher the legalities of the scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

How is it disrespect for their customers if they are a vegan establishment. I mean if they called a homemade bar they made a snickers, are you going to be upset becuase there's not powdered milk in it?

You never mentioned vegan. You said can I substitute non dairy milk in a coffee which implies that you are operating a vegan premises but want to trick customers into trying something they don't want. If I went into a premises that wasn't obviously vegan, and why would I think that a coffee shop is vegan?, and they didn't tell me that they were I wouldn't be a happy customer and you know how many people tell of bad experiences. Just like when I found out that my sister only buys decaf tea I wasn't impressed and I've stopped drinking tea in her house, she's of course free to buy what she wants but she, or you, have no right to make decisions for me without asking first.

You run a delivery business would you be happy if your diesel supplier suddenly changed it for kerosene without telling you?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

Just serve human breast milk, that comes from a mammal.:pac: :pac: As long as its pasteurised / homogenized would there be an issue with notification to customers?

• Advertisement

I think the acceptance of serving an alternative is a lot more common than the anecdotal evidence here anyway. Having spoken to owners of vegan cafes, it seems most non vegan customers are happy to try an alternative milk anyway and very few have issue with the lack of milk meant for cows babies.

I'm not entirely convinced the patrons of a vegan establishments are particularly representative of anything other than the patrons of vegan establishments.

Their opinions would be unlikely to extrapolate across the larger population.

Advertisement