Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aerlingus AerClub/Avios

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭lfc200

Tenger wrote: »
    I've been told that Aer Lingus have recently introduced a policy of no cabin cleaning at destinations. Cleaners empty waste bins in toilets and galleys only. Crew are told this will work if they make several waste collections inflight (not sure when this will happen on a DUB-LGW or DUB-MAN flight!!)
    I think its an awful scenario, imagine and aircraft doing Dublin-London 4 or 6 times a day. Not cleaning the aircraft is really counting pennies rather than pounds.

As you say I was speaking to one of the crew members the other day, and they are not happy about the new procedures. They suggested that a complaint be written to aer lingus about the cleaning( or lack thereof) of the aircraft...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

lfc200 wrote: »
    As you say I was speaking to one of the crew members the other day, and they are not happy about the new procedures. They suggested that a complaint be written to aer lingus about the cleaning( or lack thereof) of the aircraft...

But the crew still expect the passengers to sit in filth because they don't like new work practices? I'm not expecting them to brush the seats down and Hoover after each flight but if a passenger hands them a bag of rubbish left by a previous passenger don't lie and say they're "not allowed" to take it. It wasn't management who refused to take it (on two separate occasions), it was crew.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

But the crew still expect the passengers to sit in filth because they don't like new work practices? I'm not expecting them to brush the seats down and Hoover after each flight but if a passenger hands them a bag of rubbish left by a previous passenger don't lie and say they're "not allowed" to take it. It wasn't management who refused to take it (on two separate occasions), it was crew.

There Is an appropriate time to hand up your rubbish during the demo ,during the final secure check, during the service ,you cannot take rubbish from passengers if you take rubbish from one passenger every passenger will expect the same and it's just not viable!
    The crewmember would probably appreciate if you complain to the company about the uncleanly and disgusting state your seat was in and complaints are only way this will change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

I banned someone last week over their rant about Ryanair and safety, so for balance purposes and to stop your airline bashing I'll be giving you a week off from A&A as well

The lack of cleaning at outstations is part of a new policy to improve punctuality, only 45% of Aer Lingus flights departed on time in August 2015 with Dublin and outstations being the main problem. It's also a huge cost saving measure! ..............

If aer lingus are to sell themselves as being a class of airline above ultra low cost carries then cleanliness and appearance should be taken very seriously, reaching your seat and sitting in it is one of those first impressions you get of an airline and the fact they are now penny pinching in this area is very sad in my opinion.
    Ryanair crew may pick up rubbish but the reason this is viable is because they don't have seat pockets, thus making it quick and easy.
    I have personally worked as cabin crew for a large well know low cost airline :p;) and I can tell you the planes were absolutely filthy by the end of the day, especially after flights with children on board etc. and passengers regularly commented on this, it was a crew tidy that was done and it simply doesn't work if you want the cabin looking clean, presentable and professional.
    On time performance is an important factor for all airlines, the likes of ryanair will always perform well here because operating from secondary airports hugely reduces turnaround time, airports like LGW, LHR,AMS,CDG, FCO etc. will always cause delays with congestions and ATC slots etc. that said there are many airlines out there who manage OTP while at the same time being cleaned and catered.
    Im very disappointed with this decision by EI and I shall put this to them in form of a complaint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Noxegon

If aer lingus are to sell themselves as being a class of airline above ultra low cost carries

...then they have a hell of a lot to do.

I prefer flying Ryanair these days, especially on a late night/early morning "quiet flight".

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭PissFlapsDory

Aer Lingus, Ryan Air etc.....many European short haul flights are more or less flying tractors and nothing else. Just something you have to put up with.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

If anyone else feels the need to drag this any more off topic we can close the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭PissFlapsDory

Tenger wrote: »
    If anyone else feels the need to drag this any more off topic we can close the thread.

oh..good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Locker10a wrote: »
    There Is an appropriate time to hand up your rubbish during the demo ,during the final secure check, during the service ,you cannot take rubbish from passengers if you take rubbish from one passenger every passenger will expect the same and it's just not viable!
    The crewmember would probably appreciate if you complain to the company about the uncleanly and disgusting state your seat was in and complaints are only way this will change
    Thanks for the insight, so would I be right in saying that it is now Aer Lingus company policy, that the fare paying passenger must be prepared to endure sitting in someone else's filth, until the "appropriate time"?

• Advertisement

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Thanks for the insight, so would I be right in saying that it is now Aer Lingus company policy, that the fare paying passenger must be prepared to endure sitting in someone else's filth, until the "appropriate time"?

Yes

Yes

Based on what I'm reading here. Can anyone one offer me any advantages / incentives, as to why I should want to fly Aer Lingus?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Based on what I'm reading here. Can anyone one offer me any advantages / incentives, as to why I should want to fly Aer Lingus?

Is this a serious question? This thread is about being a member of the Aer Lingus ff programme and you want pros and cons of flying aer lingus!

I'll humour you but only on the topic of this thread. The vast majority of gold circle members(I'd guess circa 5 people on any flight have ff status so only maybe 5% of total passengers) are business fliers and aer lingus have no competition in this area if you fly to multiple destinations and you want to join a ff programme. To move to Lufthansas programme and gain the necessary status would mean regularly flying star alliance flights whose routes out of Dublin are very limited.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Because you don't want to connect via LHR and they're often the only option or the only well timed one.

Back when I did have to travel a fair bit for work, I would have lost entire days with other carriers.

Is this a serious question? This thread is about being a member of the Aer Lingus ff programme and you want pros and cons of flying aer lingus!

Yes it is a serious question.
    Based on what I have read in this topic I have yet to come across one positive comment in regard of the EI points reward scheme. And now that the topic has drifted into discussing the alledged appalling state of cleanliness in their aircraft.
    I'll ask again, why should I fly EI?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Member benefits include;

Priority check in.
    Fast track security - useful for morning flights when T2 is maxed out
    Lounge access - quiet place to chill & relax when the terminal is packed out
    Priority boarding - useful on a full flight to ensure you get your bag into the overhead locker above your seat and not 6 rows back.

Points can be redeemed for flights, or various gifts/gift cards.

For me, the benefits of flying exclusively with Aer Lingus are well and truly worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Priority check in is nice
    Front of aircraft seating
    First in line for upgrade to business class
    For DUB/LHR/DUB move to earlier flight if your flight is delayed and space available

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

For DUB/LHR/DUB move to earlier flight if your flight is delayed and space available

Once managed to get two of the last three seats on an earlier LHR-DUB in that scenario when I had Gold - my brother who has no status was travelling with me. Mary Byrne from X Factor (it was that year) got the last one!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Yes it is a serious question.
    Based on what I have read in this topic I have yet to come across one positive comment in regard of the EI points reward scheme. And now that the topic has drifted into discussing the alledged appalling state of cleanliness in their aircraft.
    I'll ask again, why should I fly EI?

You do realise it's not a case of 'deciding' to take the odd flight with them? To gain status you need about 12 / 15 short haul flights over the first year at the right fare, then you have your status and only then do you start enjoying the perks and then you need a similar number of flights to maintain the status.

Half the appeal is the exclusivity, ie if everyone had it there would be no benefits hence why it's not for the occasional flyer.

Anyways if you are serious all this very basic info is on the website

You do realise it's not a case of 'deciding' to take the odd flight with them? To gain status you need about 12 / 15 short haul flights over the first year at the right fare, then you have your status and only then do you start enjoying the perks and then you need a similar number of flights to maintain the status.

Half the appeal is the exclusivity, ie if everyone had it there would be no benefits hence why it's not for the occasional flyer.

Anyways if you are serious all this very basic info is on the website
    Thank you J.pilkington, I appreciate your response. I am very aware of how frequent flyer programmes work and the "exclusivity" aspect attached to them.

My question is based solely on what I have read in this topic. Comments posted here appear to be very negative towards EI in relation to their management of the Gold Circle scheme along with the perceived uncertainty of its future.

What has also struck me most forcefully are the more recent posts making allegations of poor cleaning practices on EI aircraft.

That is why I asked my question.

• Advertisement

My question is based solely on what I have read in this topic. Comments posted here appear to be very negative towards EI in relation to their management of the Gold Circle scheme along with the perceived uncertainty of its future.

What has also struck me most forcefully are the more recent posts making allegations of poor cleaning practices on EI aircraft.

That is why I asked my question.

Hopefully with the Introduction of the new AerClub the reputation of poor management will change and this will breathe a new life into the programme,
    In relation to EI planes and cleanliness, in my opinion it's a cost saving measure to far but it will only mean their planes are as clean as their low cost competition!
    I kind of thought EI were branching away from the ultra low cost model and stepping things up a notch, hence why this backward step has left me disappointed, but it's really a trivial thing

Maybe the lack of cleaning at the other end is just a short term cost cutting measure,

And once fully integrated into IAG, EI will have the use of BA/IB cleaning services at the other end?

Maybe they were/are just cutting their ties with their current cleaning contractors, as maybe the contract was due to expire and rather than sign another long term agreement, they are holding out the few weeks/months until they will have access to the IAG cleaners?

Willie Walsh is too cute to start suddenly lessening the quality of the service for what in the grand scheme of things, probably isn't a whole lot of cost! Considering AL is small fry compared to BA/IB, the additional cleaning costs are probably minuscule.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Hi folks,

Genuine question re. BT vouchers....I'm a GC Member for years but never heard of this option, don't know how I missed it tbh but I obviously have. I've pretty much only used my points to date to upgrade to the US on holidays, never managed to find a 'free' flight that suited me and also have 4,000+ points about to expire in the next few days that I'd rather cash in for a voucher than lose.

How does one go about cashing them in for a voucher. Does anyone have a link to the relevant section on the website?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Hi folks,

Genuine question re. BT vouchers....I'm a GC Member for years but never heard of this option, don't know how I missed it tbh but I obviously have. I've pretty much only used my points to date to upgrade to the US on holidays, never managed to find a 'free' flight that suited me and also have 4,000+ points about to expire in the next few days that I'd rather cash in for a voucher than lose.

How does one go about cashing them in for a voucher. Does anyone have a link to the relevant section on the website?

Thanks!

Here is the link from the most recent email:
    https://www.brandforce.ie/Gift-Cards/

They have been sending loads of emails lately to get vouchers for points - maybe GC have an old email address for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Hi folks,

Thanks!

I'm guessing they don't have an up to date email address for you. The BT and Arnotts vouchers offer comes by email.

Link for claiming BT: https://www.brandforce.ie/Gift-Cards/

Link for Arnotts: http://www.aerlingusgoldcircleclub.com/arnotts.asp

Hopefully with the Introduction of the new AerClub the reputation of poor management will change and this will breathe a new life into the programme,
    In relation to EI planes and cleanliness, in my opinion it's a cost saving measure to far but it will only mean their planes are as clean as their low cost competition!
    I kind of thought EI were branching away from the ultra low cost model and stepping things up a notch, hence why this backward step has left me disappointed, but it's really a trivial thing
    Thanks you Locker10a for your reply, your responses have been very direct and realistic to my mind in highlighting and acknowledging problems that would appear to currently exist within the EI "scheme of things".

For the next 12 to 18 months I will adopt a await and see attitude, as to how EI are integrated within IAG.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    I'm guessing they don't have an up to date email address for you. The BT and Arnotts vouchers offer comes by email.

Link for claiming BT: https://www.brandforce.ie/Gift-Cards/

Link for Arnotts: http://www.aerlingusgoldcircleclub.com/arnotts.asp

Actually that's a good point, I haven't got an email from them in years. Thanks for this, genuinely appreciate it. :)

Actually that's a good point, I haven't got an email from them in years. Thanks for this, genuinely appreciate it. :)

your account statement should come every month, showing your recent activity, the BT & Arrnotts emails have been coming almost weekly now for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

What really hurt was the cull of lounges about 2 years ago, bye bye PRG, SXF, CPH and a pile of others

I've managed through madness to pull in 21000+ points in less than 4 years and never paid business class, got to the point of being able to tell the registration of the plane from the interior condition. Has anyone in EI GC ever reached out for a survey or opinion, not a chance.

A huge problem has been the IT behind gold circle doesn't work
    • With the exception of Madrid (Iberia do the check in and use the BA system) points never post unless its EI who check you in using the stone age Astral
    • The mysterious seat allocation voodoo, is it a human or a machine? Only works from Dublin
    • Then there is the redemption problem, no seats available, pay cash, board plane, 20+ empty seats. Since we pay all taxes and charges anyway its basically free to carry you and business logic should be to try to get you on to less busy flights so they can make money on the busy ones.

Things have certainly changed in 2015.
    • A clear effort to implement priority boarding started in LHR and has rolled out across most locations, still its ignored at many (hello SXF and TXL)
    • Points from BA tickets finally started to post automatically for me at least
    • New check in area in Dublin (back where it was originally at the front door)
    • Extra redemption options, wider voucher range.

• Advertisement

Has Astral not been retired by now? It was implied at least a decade ago that it was to be dumped, but its not something I'd heard anything else on. Actually, are any other poor bastard airlines still renting it from them?

Advertisement