Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Grapevine (OFF TOPIC CHAT) Part II

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I have no problem limiting a thread to just vegans/vegetarians, if you want opinions from that group of people. In fact this thread would be good for it, it's the off topic thread. There shouldn't be debate in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Thank god for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

We were going to go and see game changers tonight, but there's no where close to us. Don't really fancy a minimum 1 hour drive each way. Plus, for some reason, the omni in Coolock is charging €27.50 per ticket!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

That price takes the piss

Think I'll wait for it to appear on Netflix or Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Unearthly wrote: »
    That price takes the piss

Think I'll wait for it to appear on Netflix or Sky

Actually I should correct myself, it was Odeon not Omni and it's now showing as €14.25, so must have been a mistake yesterday. Although that's still the highest price I've seen.

• Advertisement

Actually I should correct myself, it was Odeon not Omni and it's now showing as €14.25, so must have been a mistake yesterday. Although that's still the highest price I've seen.

New cinema here is €14. Reclining seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

This, 110%. So many are on my ignore list now, there's little to actually read! :D:D

The tiresome recycled tropes are intended to wear people down.

I'm drawn more and more towards Facebook and closed veg*n groups.

Then why bother with a Discussion forum david - if you only wish to come here to dictate one way or the highway?

This from the the charter referenced in the opening post of the original chat thread.
    Boards.ie is a discussion forum! This is not facebook or a blog so don't treat it as such. This forum does not rely on contribution from moderators, it relies on contribution from everyone, including non-vegetarians and non-vegans. This is not my forum, this is our forum. Don't rely on others to make threads, if there's something you want to see then post it!

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    New cinema here is €14. Reclining seats.

Reclining seats are great. Blanch IMAX has them

I have no problem limiting a thread to just vegans/vegetarians, if you want opinions from that group of people. In fact this thread would be good for it, it's the off topic thread. There shouldn't be debate in here.

That would be great Tar.

Would be nice if new threads, if requested by op, could be the same.

Is there a thread in here that hasn’t been pulled around and taken off topic within a few posts of being opened ?

I’m gonna be heading to Dublin this week.

Mostly daytime eating.

Any places I shouldn’t miss out on ?

Edit - would prefer 100% vegan establishments

• Advertisement

I’m gonna be heading to Dublin this week.

Mostly daytime eating.

Any places I shouldn’t miss out on ?

Edit - would prefer 100% vegan establishments

I liked Carrots tail and the Sova vegan butcher.

Both 100% vegan.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That would be great Tar.

Would be nice if new threads, if requested by op, could be the same.

Is there a thread in here that hasn’t been pulled around and taken off topic within a few posts of being opened ?

Yes if an OP requests only Veg*ns then that will be honoured.

Beyond sausages coming to Tesco UK soon. I'd imagine Ireland can't be far behind

https://www.veganfoodandliving.com/beyond-meat-is-launching-its-highly-anticipated-vegan-beyond-sausages-in-tesco/

Unearthly wrote: »
    I liked Carrots tail and the Sova vegan butcher.

Both 100% vegan.

Went to Sova today.

Nice place. We drove to Dublin and parked at qpark Stephens green and it’s only a short walk from there.

Nice options although we prefer non processed foods and eat whole foods as often as possible. Dining out makes that harder.

Unfortunately I’ve brought a bad injury to Ireland so access and movement is limited.

Happy though I made the effort today and we are looking for some fine dining before we head off. As a couple of DINKS we do look to spoil ourselves as and when.

Try veginity

Try veginity

My partner did mention that today so we will go over the next few days.

The Wildwood cafe in Carlingford was very nice. Not 100% plant based but there was 1-3 options, iirc, and it was very very nice scran indeed. The balance of flavours was impressive. It’s a beautiful seating area overlooking the lough.

The Townhouse (formerly Enos) in Dundalk was also very nice. Two vegan options and the quality of food was very very good. This place is easily the best VFM experience I’ve had in Ireland, so far, and that is mostly considering the quality of food. Very very cheap considering the quality.

23 seats (cafe) in Dundalk also have a daily vegan option. It’s been very nice each time I’ve tried it. They only have one plant based dessert and it’s not always available.

3rd place (cafe), also in Dundalk, was a let down. A very boring and bland daily vegan option that doesn’t seem to change regardless of day of the week.

There’ll be further updates although only a few days left but my mobility is improving.

Heading to Dublin again tomorrow.

That would be great Tar. Would be nice if new threads, if requested by op, could be the same.
    In the past you have called farmers welfare scroungers, a bunch of f**king babies & f**king losers. I don't think posts like that are tolerated pretty much anywhere.

This. Discussion is always good. Tbh I do not care that anyone may disagree with any point of view - it's aggressive comments and attacking others which wreck threads imo.

Any suggestions for animals sanctuaries/rescues we can visit in the north east, of the republic, as it would be a nice way to spend a day/afternoon.

We donate quite a bit financially, yearly, and it would be nice to visit and donate on this trip too.

Would be nice to see what’s happening in Ireland to stop the unnecessary suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Any suggestions for animals sanctuaries/rescues we can visit in the north east, of the republic, as it would be a nice way to spend a day/afternoon.

We donate quite a bit financially, yearly, and it would be nice to visit and donate on this trip too.

Would be nice to see what’s happening in Ireland to stop the unnecessary suffering.

Not north-east but reasonably easy to get to is Heartstone Veganic Microsanctuary. She doing a great job on minimal resources and always welcomes donations or physical help. PM me if you're interested but not on FaceBook, klopparama.

• Advertisement

Game Changers will be available on Netflix October 16th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Has anyone been able to get Quorn mince lately in Dublin? I haven't found it in weeks in either Lucan, Clondalkin, or the city centre. I've tried several SuperValus, Tescos and Dunnes. Supervalu told me they had an issue with a whole delivery of packets being split open, so they returned it and have been waiting on replacement ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

The Townhouse (formerly Enos) in Dundalk was also very nice. Two vegan options and the quality of food was very very good. This place is easily the best VFM experience I’ve had in Ireland, so far, and that is mostly considering the quality of food. Very very cheap considering the quality.

Must give it a go - thanks for the heads up

https://edenfarmedanimalsanctuary.com/ in Meath

Has anyone been able to get Quorn mince lately in Dublin? I haven't found it in weeks in either Lucan, Clondalkin, or the city centre. I've tried several SuperValus, Tescos and Dunnes. Supervalu told me they had an issue with a whole delivery of packets being split open, so they returned it and have been waiting on replacement ever since.

Haven't bought Quorn since I read this article: https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/the-quorn-revolution-the-rise-of-ultra-processed-fake-meat-1.3390997

Something I have been saying for quite a long time tbh.
    ...the highly processed nature of Quorn and other plant “meats” may yet be a stumbling block. Earlier this month, it was reported that more than half of all food bought by families in the UK and some 45.9 per cent bought in Ireland is “ultra-processed”: manufactured by opaque, hi-tech methods using industrial additives and food-derived component parts that are transformed from the whole ingredients familiar to home cooks...Quorn, in common with other fake meats, is incontestably ultra-processed. Evidently, this is not an issue for the animal welfare, vegetarian and vegan groups that hail such confections as a potential end to animal slaughter and the misery of factory farming. Some people will eat almost anything as long as no animals were involved in its creation. But that proposition appeals less to those who prefer to base their meals on natural, minimally processed ingredients that they can easily recognise as food.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Iceland pledged last year to go palm oil free and they are honouring that pledge this year ( the first major U.K. supermarket to do so ) on own brand products which include an expanding vegan range which is also plastic free.

A new vegan cafe just opened in Galway beside the bierhaus.

Greens & Co

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    A new vegan cafe just opened in Galway beside the bierhaus.

Greens & Co

I heard it's excellent.

• Advertisement

I heard it's excellent.

Had the vegan breakfast yesterday & it was lovely.

It will do a bomb there.

Advertisement