Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nature Rising

• 07-10-2019 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

For information:

http://naturerising.ie/
    we are proposing that subsidies are moved from Animal Agriculture to either Plant Based Agriculture or Payments for Ecosystems/Biodiversity Restoration.

This is something that should have happened decades ago. Please follow and support Nature Rising on your preferred platform.

Mods, I would appreciate it if you could lock this thread - I'm only providing the information and not interested in giving space in a veg*n forum for defence of the current subsidy system.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Under the current system which supports agricultural production, there are many "Agriculture Payments" for ecosystems and biodiversity and also the need to feed people.

The article / campaign is at best misinformation. That is not in defence of anything btw - it is simply the status quo..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Three comments.

I could sell every animal in the morning and still receive a substantial portion of the payment I receive. Decoupling happened long ago, that broke the link network animal numbers and the BPS payment. It allowed us to move to an extensive farming system which reduces chemical inputs and more mirrors animals natural lifestyle, because of decoupling no reduction in payments happened. I will add though that this system is unpopular in farming circles and indeed not supported by Teagasc et al.

It’s fully expected within the farming community that the requirements for continuing payments will move on towards more environment measures to receive the current payments.

The GLAs environmental scheme is the only environmental scheme out there, it is closed to new entrants, has been closed for 4 years and is unlikely to open again for maybe 1-2 years, if the government were serious it would accept entrants all the time.

Advertisement