Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lolek Ltd, Trading as 'The Iona Institute'

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Don't you know you can pray the gay away? #ionaknowsbest

I have often prayed that the gay irritating me in the gay bar goes away but they never ever do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I've been waiting a year for two gay men to take my kids. When should I expect to be able to offload them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lurkio

lazygal wrote: »
    I've been waiting a year for two gay men to take my kids. When should I expect to be able to offload them?

Well more gays are coming out being created since the marriage referendum to combat the backlog but it still may be some time, according to Liberal Agenda HQ anyway.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

lazygal wrote: »
    What are the many good things Iona does?

They take care of everything for you...making all the decisions for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lurkio

Cabaal wrote: »
    They take care of everything for you...making all the decisions for you.

Freed from the burden of choice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

http://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/CmMIoGvXIAAO6Ew.jpg

"Nobody likes what we do, but we still need your money. Look... my pockets are completely empty " :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Funny how Ray D'Arcy not liking him is given as a reason to donate.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,822 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

recedite wrote: »
    CmMIoGvXIAAO6Ew.jpg

I believe in the place of religion all right, and keeping it firmly within there ;)

Life ain't always empty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

CmMIoGvXIAAO6Ew.jpg
    Cheque or postal order in pounds or euro

I guess they know their market then - no Paypal or bitcoin for Iona supporters. But if they are accepting foreign currency donations, shouldn't they be make sure that these come from Irish citizens, to comply with SIPO rules?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

TheChizler wrote: »

I hope he claims a fee. :pac:

Receipts are embossed on individual plaques made of 18 carat gold, which you will receive in the afterlife.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

their company returns are available, the daily mail had an article on how much they spent but i forgot to save it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

TheChizler wrote: »

Because Darcy is an arrogant pr1ck, cr*p broadcaster and so biased in his views. There is a few reasons for starters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Giacomo McGubbin

Actually I'd be tempted to donate if the likes of Ray D'arcy doesn't like em.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If I send them a 1c cheque who ends up paying the most, me or them :)

If you post it, you. If you drop it into their letterbox when you're passing, them :)

Life ain't always empty.

David Quinn ponders the possibility of a United Ireland. And time travel.
    On the one hand, an influx of socially conservative TDs into the Dail.
    On the other hand, they don't like Roman Catholics.
    Hmmm....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Desmond Connell is one of those names I'll forever associate with the awfulness reported on (and the response) in the last decade.
    How can we believe, without corroboration, anything that members of the Irish Catholic Hierarchy say in cases where it is in their interest to mislead us? That is surely the central question that arises from the Cloyne Report, especially when seen alongside the previous revelation that Archbishop Desmond Connell of Dublin was happy to deliberately mislead people by a process that he described as ‘mental reservation’.
    As Michael points out, Connell introduced the nation to the idea of "mental reservation" - a technique whereby catholics allow themselves to lie with a clean conscience. That phrase may be his lasting contribution to the country. He died last night, having - like so many of his confreres - successfully avoided prosecution for his involvement in, or covering up for, child abuse in Ireland.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0221/854179-cardinal-desmond-connell-died/

Two fun articles here:

1. Breda O'Brien, closely linked with Lolek Limited, uses the Irish Times to document her significant worry that foreign funding from named individuals might "buy undemocratic influence":

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/breda-o-brien-foreign-funding-buys-undemocratic-influence-1.3056989

2. Lolek Limited files its accounts with Companies Office which indicate that it has cash reserves of over EUR300k and received donations totalling EUR273,000 last year. The source of these donations is not specified either in the filing or in any other public place.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/iona-institute-company-got-275-000-in-donations-last-year-1.3058193

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

robindch wrote: »
    Two fun articles here:

1. Breda O'Brien, closely linked with Lolek Limited, uses the Irish Times to document her significant worry that foreign funding from named individuals might "buy undemocratic influence":

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/breda-o-brien-foreign-funding-buys-undemocratic-influence-1.3056989

2. Lolek Limited files its accounts with Companies Office which indicate that it has cash reserves of over EUR300k and received donations totalling EUR273,000 last year. The source of these donations is not specified either in the filing or in any other public place.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/iona-institute-company-got-275-000-in-donations-last-year-1.3058193

Ok. I'll put my hand up. I made several €0.01 donations last year. Not sure about the rest of it though...

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 26,017 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

"Director" has a well-established legal meaning. "Patron" does not.

At a wild guess, the "patrons" listed on Iona's website are all people who support Iona, either financially (e.g. Jimmy Sheehan) or by writing or speaking on behalf of Iona (Breda O'Brien) or by networking with other church groups (Ken Clarke) or by doing more than one of these things (Vincent Twomey). Odds are they are not paid for what they do, which is why they get called "patrons".

David Quinn is described as "Director" of the Institute on the website, but from the Irish Times isn't listed as a company director of Lolek. My guess is that he's a director in the sense of general manager, that he's employed (and paid) for that purpose, that his appointment was made by the real directors and that he reports to them.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    David Quinn is described as "Director" of the Institute on the website, but from the Irish Times isn't listed as a company director of Lolek. My guess is that he's a director in the sense of general manager, that he's employed (and paid) for that purpose, that his appointment was made by the real directors and that he reports to them.
    If you click on the link at the bottom of the page as already linked to, it takes you to another page showing the real directors.
    But I can't see any link there to take you to the page showing the real patrons, ie those who stump up the money ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/iona-spent-500000-during-year-of-repeal-referendum-38246015.html

Lolek Ltd spent half a million euro to campaign against health care last year.
    In a shocking turn of events, David Quinn had nothing to say about this.

Any chance of some transparency about where all of this money is coming from??

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Any chance of some transparency about where all of this money is coming from??

bout the same odds as me being "Born Again" :pac:

There's no point in having SIPO if this so-called charity can blow a half million from unknown sources, possibly foreign, to try to influence a vote.

Didn't recall ever seeing or hearing about posters from Iona themselves - so were they bankrolling Save 8th or the other lot?

All very murky and not at all good for our politics.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

If they were obliged to be more transparent you can be sure they'd play the persecution card fairly sharp ish.

• Advertisement

More legal action from the good folk at Lolek Limited:

Iona Institute academic seeks to sue woman for defamation over tweets
    Dr Angelo Bottone says posts wrongly accuse him of aiding man convicted of murdering abortion doctor

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/iona-institute-academic-seeks-to-sue-woman-for-defamation-over-tweets-1.4035214

<snip> - do not quote entire articles, a link is sufficient</snip>
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Niamh on

Advertisement