Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

family research without paying subscriptions?

• 04-10-2019 9:07pm

Hello

A friend told me irishgeneology.ie would give lots of information, but i have found NO records for any of my family.

I am sure of the names, birth marriage and death years, and they were all in inner city Dublin. Is the location the issue, as I think Arran quay parish charges a subscription to access records? And since Arran quay is close to where they lived this may well have been their parish?

A lot of my ancestors are buried in Glasnevin but you pay per search, which is costly.

I dont mind a reasonable monthly subscription if anyone can give advice please on which site is best?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Ballycarton

Hello Bookerlover,

A lot of the Irish Catholic Church parish registers have been digitised and are available on www.registers.nli.ie ( The National Library) This is a free site.

Roots Ireland have both church & Civil records on their site subscription rates are €15 for 1 day.
    €30 for a month, and they do have a 25% discount offer for those taking out a full years subscription.

Regards,

Ballycarton

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You should check all possibilities of surname spelling in irishgenealogy.ie With a few exceptions, it would have civil records back to the 1860s, so to find no mention of your family would be unusual, unless they left Ireland before that?

There is also registers.nli.ie

Free information on familysearch.org and findmypast, ancestry and others often have free weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Irishgenealogy has two sites; one is for civil records which cover all of Ireland [different dates coverage depending on births, marriages, deaths]. The other site covers Church records for some Dublin parishes and a limited number of other places [some Cork, Kerry, Carlow].

St Paul's (Arran Quay) registers up to the 1880s are available on the NLI site free of charge at https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0501

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

To answer your question directly, yes it's odd that you aren't finding anything. It would really suggest that while the dates may be correct the name may be off slightly (I did research for a McAlister who had family buried in Glasnevin but from his grandfather onwards they were McAllisters with an extra 'l'.) I think that with solid info it's possibly to avoid Ancestry and Co. for Irish-only research though you will have to get certs from time to time to prove that what you suspect is true.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Have you considered the data protection date parameters on irishgenealogy.ie - there's no births after 1918 listed, for example.

I don't think it is possible to do genealogy without at least some subscriptions.

It would be of benefit for you to read our beginner's sticky.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

thank you so much, everyone

Lots of great suggestions in your responses.

Much appreciated.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

A lot of my ancestors are buried in Glasnevin but you pay per search, which is costly.

Searching the Glasnevin Trust website is free.

You only pay to view records.

And if more than one person is buried in the same plot you may only need to pay once to find several members of a given family.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Also Glasnevin is not-for-profit, so the money goes into maintaining the graveyard, more digitisation, education, etc.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

For Glasnevin you purchase vouchers to pay for data, which might be 4 euro for one. It is not a subscription service with annual or monthly recurring charges. Their records are in excellent order with lot of detail.

Garlinge wrote: »
    For Glasnevin you purchase vouchers to pay for data, which might be 4 euro for one. It is not a subscription service with annual or monthly recurring charges. Their records are in excellent order with lot of detail.

It's actually credits which are 1 = €1. Standard grave purchase is the cheapest but much better value to buy everybody in the grave for €8 (or €10 if they have images).

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

The 1901 & 1911 Census are usually the best place to start and are easy to search using say different spellings of surname, location etc

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

Advertisement