Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interviewing Relatives

• 22-07-2012 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭

Any tips or points to watch out for in interviewing elderly relatives? I am concerned about the narrative meandering and not going anywhere, and I am just checking to see if anyone has had any experience doing this, and if any tips may be offered. A rather broad question, I know, but I never did this before.

Also, would you recommend using a Dictaphone, and if so, any recommendations on a reliable one?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I've found the most useful trick is feedback - after initial conversations I've found that going back to someone with newly discovered results can prompt new stories and clues. It's even worked with several relatives who either showed no interest, or claimed not to remember anything. e.g. an Uncle wasn't interested in 'all that old stuff', but when shown a census return and an old marriage record I'd given to another relative came up with stories about various people and events going back decades...

With most people I dont think a single 'interview' will do it, it takes time..

Maybe for an initial chat, have some photos, maps, records, certs etc printed out, to help start the trail ?

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

Yes, as Shane said (and it goes for any interview), be prepared. You can't just say, hey, tell me about the old days. Write down specific questions. Bring information and materials with you. You don't need to overdo it though, you still want it to be a conversation rather than an inquisition. The more comfortable they are, the more information you'll get. But go in knowing some things you'd like to know and try to direct them in that direction.

One thing I always try to do is avoid leading the interviewee too much. For example, rather than saying "was her name Mary?" I'd ask if they knew what her name was. That sort of thing. It gives their answers much more weight if they produce them on their own. Don't forget that the information you get from your relatives can be flawed, don't take it as gospel.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

All good stuff from Shane and RGM (especially about being prepared not leading and everything they say is not gospel). I interview people one one one in the social research world and a lot of stuff works well for oral histories too.

So to add some things:

You'd be surprised how many people can be put off by dictaphones but definitely try and use one. It'll be hard to remember everything, especially if you plan to interview a number of relatives.

A digital dictaphone is good so you can transfer the files to a computer.

Be very general at the start so as to get them talking. Start with something you know they have an interest in/knowledge of, doesn't even have to be in relation to family history, just gets them comfortable with talking.

As was said you want to try and make it a conversation and not where you ask questions and the interviewee gives yes/no answers.

Pauses are an interviewers best friend, but without seeming like a quiet weirdo! People are put off by them and want to fill the dead space so use them strategically to keep the person talking.

A group interview could work well too if you can get a few relative together. They can prompt each other and it will be more like a group chat where you can introduce topics and sit back and let them at it.

For meandering narratives you want to try and transition back to what you are trying to find out so you can suggest returning to that topic later in a polite way.

Watch out for signs that the relatives is getting bored or tired. You won't get good info and sometimes just have to cut your losses and return at a better time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

+1 on the both the group chat, and making this process a conversation. I would think other than keeping notes that keeping the tea and sambos topped up, and throwing in the occasional question or observation if the chat goes totally OT would be a researchers main job during this.

One point I've found of the 'flawed' stories ... even if details dont add up, I often found that the individual elements, or at least some of them, have elements of truth, but might be slightly exaggerated or have the timelines crossed. e.g. 'gt-uncle Tom married a Jane Cantwell from Kilkenny, whose father owned a pub', might actually turn out to be 'Tom's father Michael married a Jane Cantwell from Kilkenny, whose father worked in a public house'.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Cool, all good stuff so far thanks. As it happens, one of my aunts has a keen interest in her families history, although I'm not sure if she ever did actual research, but apparently she is delighted to hear about me doing this and she wants to meet. So I am hoping for some good stuff from her. On my mums side there is a cousin of her dad (my granddad) who is also quite knowledgeable and would be interested also. That is also quite tantalising, as she is the only member of that generation I know of in my family.

Chatting to my Dad today uncovered some family relation myths, including links to the De Valeras, (Sean) McBrides and (JFK) Fitzgeralds.

Might be nonsense, though. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

I definitely remember reading how the O'Chazz Michael Michaels were related to all three :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Group evening with photos and other props (i.e. medals) work really well. I got my Dad and his sister and their cousins together to identify what we could of old photos....got lots of good tidbits and a really enjoyable family evening out of it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I recently had the privilege of meeting an very elderly relative who was keen to share her knowledge. It was very enjoyable for me, and I think also for her and we both exchanged otherwise unknown information. It was all going blindingly well until she said, "your father's family were all very good looking people". Looking at the photos I had to agree with her. The women were beautiful and graceful, dressed to the nines, the men were very dashing. Then she said.....'you take after your mother don't you?' I agreed with her meekly. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

On this topic some might be interested in

Please find attached details of an oral history training seminar which will take place in Dublin City Library and Archive, 138-144 Pearse Street, D2 on Saturday 18 August 2012. It is suitable for those interested in folklore, local and family history who may wish to use oral history in their research.

This event is being organised in association with the Oral History Network of Ireland and Heritage Week. It is a free event but booking is required as places are limited. To book a place at the seminar, please

Email dublinpubliclibraries@dublincity.ie; phone 01 674 4806

Advertisement