Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Surviving Wills abstract

• 20-10-2019 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

A very likely paternal ancestor of mine is listed on an index which was catalogued in a publication authored by Beryl Eustace in 1948.
    Will date is 1768 and it is within the collection of will abstract transcripts of Bishop Swanzy of Dromore.

Having done a deeper dive, it appears that 200+ pages of these will abstracts in this collection were microfilmed by LDS.
    However, I've never used the LDS Library/Microfilm/Catalog facility in my research.

Here is the entry (below) via LDS/familysearch.
    I have 2 questions.
    1) What exactly is the Irish Genealogical Department as referred to in the LDS entry ? National Archives ? Bishop Street, NLI ?
    2) What would be the most efficient way of me actually booking an appointment to see the microfilm ? I don't get the impression that the transcripts have been digitized within familysearch.org so Microfilm seems the only way to see them .

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/495742?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Earnest

ifconfig wrote: »
    A very likely paternal ancestor of mine is listed on an index which was catalogued in a publication authored by Beryl Eustace in 1948.
    Will date is 1768 and it is within the collection of will abstract transcripts of Bishop Swanzy of Dromore.

Having done a deeper dive, it appears that 200+ pages of these will abstracts in this collection were microfilmed by LDS.
    However, I've never used the LDS Library/Microfilm/Catalog facility in my research.

Here is the entry (below) via LDS/familysearch.
    I have 2 questions.
    1) What exactly is the Irish Genealogical Department as referred to in the LDS entry ? National Archives ? Bishop Street, NLI ?
    2) What would be the most efficient way of me actually booking an appointment to see the microfilm ? I don't get the impression that the transcripts have been digitized within familysearch.org so Microfilm seems the only way to see them .

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/495742?availability=Family%20History%20Library

LDS is not always reliable for the exact names of sources. The Swanzy Will Abstracts are in the National Library of Ireland at GO MS 420. So you will need to go there or to an LDS library for the microfilm.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

As far as I'm aware, the LDS has withdrawn the microfilm service. If you search in this forum, we did discuss it at some stage.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

If you have a reference number for the will extract [Bk page no] you may be able to access the memorial of the will from the LDS site. They have microfilmed the Register of Deeds memorials of deeds, wills, marriage settlements etc and the microfilms are now online free of charge at https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/185720?availability=Family%20History%20Library

The IGRS is indexing the Registry of Deeds memorials on a voluntary basis - a very slow process. You might be able to find your ancestor on the IGRS index https://irishdeedsindex.net/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

pinkypinky wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware, the LDS has withdrawn the microfilm service. If you search in this forum, we did discuss it at some stage.

Hi pinkypink. I checked the archives yesterday just after posting. I think it was a photocopying service, rather than the access to LDS microfilms which was discontinued.

Having seen the other reply which clarifies that the source copy is in the NLI, I might renew my readers ticket there or ask my kind (retired) cousin who is also a genealogy enthusiast in Dublin to call in to NLI.

I see that LDS have libraries non Dublin/Finglas, Limerick/Dooradoyle and Cork as well as Derry/Belfast/Portadown and being in Mayo another option was maybe an excuse to go to Finglas or Limerick by arrangement.

Earnest wrote: »
    LDS is not always reliable for the exact names of sources. The Swanzy Will Abstracts are in the National Library of Ireland at GO MS 420. So you will need to go there or to an LDS library for the microfilm.

I am very grateful for that Earnest.
    The Swanzy archives seem confusing. Part of them seem to be in PRONI but I think they are, specific to Down and more Diosesan than prerogative will lists.

By a will abstract what detail am I likeky to get that goes beyond a mere index??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

<By a will abstract what detail am I likeky to get that goes beyond a mere index??>

The index will just list name and date; the abstract will have more information. Betham's genealogical abstracts [accessible on Findmypast.ie] may include your ancestor's will. He noted down the probate dates and legatees giving some information on family relationships.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

ifconfig wrote: »
    Hi pinkypinky. I checked the archives yesterday just after posting. I think it was a photocopying service, rather than the access to LDS microfilms which was discontinued.

https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Ordering_Microfilm_or_Microfiche

"On September 8, 2017, FamilySearch discontinued its microfilm distribution services. (The last day to order microfilm was on September 7, 2017.) The change is the result of significant progress in FamilySearch’s microfilm digitization efforts and the obsolescence of microfilm technology. Digital imaging has made it easier to find ancestors through the internet, mobile, and other technologies."

Genealogy Forum Mod

"On September 8, 2017, FamilySearch discontinued its microfilm distribution services. (The last day to order microfilm was on September 7, 2017.) The change is the result of significant progress in FamilySearch’s microfilm digitization efforts and the obsolescence of microfilm technology. Digital imaging has made it easier to find ancestors through the internet, mobile, and other technologies."

My bad pinkypinky. I didnt see that and I probably just saw the earlier note of discontinuation of photocopying service.

. It makes sense that they would obsolete microfilm as it is anachronistic and very "20th century tech" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Earnest

Having read the hyperlink, it seems that LDS libraries may well still retain the microfilms that they already possess if not yet converted to digital. Presumably they would grant access. That was my assumption in trying to assist ifconfig; but it is immaterial in this case as ifconfig seems to be in Ireland.

Advertisement