Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Get Netflix cheaper - SEE OP FOR DETAILS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

garion wrote: »
    So how does someone switch country? I'm paying out of Canada at the moment. I've got friends and family on my sub though so don't any down time if possible.

Leave your sub expire (so cancel now, you'll get the rest of the month). On the first day you are without cover, sign back up using VPN or Tor option via Turkey. All history/accounts/etc should be retained.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

Been trying to set up a new Netflix account via Turkey for the past few days, using HOLA free VPN.

I can get as far as entering the payment details, but once I move to the next step, it looks for a phone number to send a code to.

I've tried everything but cannot get past this!

I've used multiple different payment cards including terrestrial banks & Revolut, but always the same phone number request.

Tried using TOR there but too dense to figure out how to use it properly...Sorry!

Would really appreciate any help...in the simplest of terms as not too sharp on the olde webe thingy!! :rolleyes:

keredern wrote: »
    Been trying to set up a new Netflix account via Turkey for the past few days, using HOLA free VPN.

I can get as far as entering the payment details, but once I move to the next step, it looks for a phone number to send a code to.

I've tried everything but cannot get past this!

I've used multiple different payment cards including terrestrial banks & Revolut, but always the same phone number request.

Tried using TOR there but too dense to figure out how to use it properly...Sorry!

Would really appreciate any help...in the simplest of terms as not too sharp on the olde webe thingy!! :rolleyes:

I posted the following when I signed up, u couldn't get the vpn option to work, but tor did work:
    dulpit wrote: »
    Just wanted to say that this worked for me. Steps followed:
    1. Tried VPN options on Firefox and Chrome - kept getting blocked by needing mobile number, so stopped this.
    2. Downloaded tor browser: https://www.torproject.org/download/
    3. Opened the folder where Tor was installed (defaulted to my desktop)
    4. Edited the file C:\Users\Dulpit\Desktop\Tor Browser\Browser\TorBrowser\Data\Tor\torcc
    5. The file was initially blank, added the line ExitNodes {tr} and saved.
    6. Opened Tor, went to netflix.com. It defaulted to the Turkish site.
    7. As previous poster said, clicking login does not work. Clicking Try 30 Days Free does work though. I went for the Standard plan at 29.99 Lira.
    8. When prompted to enter new email address/password I just used my existing details, it recognised I had an account and welcomed me back. I then entered payment details (Revolut) and saved. Revolut shows me being charged €4.57, much better than the €11.99 on Irish site.
    9. I did a quick test on netflix now and all seems normal, still have view history, breakdown of family, all that jazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

I posted the following when I signed up, u couldn't get the vpn option to work, but tor did work:

Thanks for the reply.

I forgot to say that I'm using an iMac & could not find the file to add the exit node on TOR after I'd downloaded & run TOR.

Just kept getting a 'file not found' message. :o

keredern wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

I forgot to say that I'm using an iMac & could not find the file to add the exit node on TOR after I'd downloaded & run TOR.

Just kept getting a 'file not found' message. :o

This looks to help - seemingly mac os has it in a different location...
    https://tor.stackexchange.com/questions/9392/how-to-change-country-in-mac-os-x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭gomara

RossieMan wrote: »
    Just use on of the free providers. You only need it for sign up.

Or just use Tor browser and set exit node to Turkey (Google it). Worked fine for me no VPN required

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭intro

Hi

Trying to set up netflix on the Turkish site. Had a lot of problems trying to get TOR set to the exit node Turkey before figuring out that there is a space between "ExitNodes" and"{tr}". That sorted that out.

When I get to the Turkish phone number requirement, it looks for this to send me a one time code. I cant seem to get around this. I have not had a Netflix A/C before so an Irish phone number does not show pre filled.

Anyone know a way around this?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭gomara

When I did it, the subscription had already gone through and I had received an email confirming that. The prompt for phone was simply a method for password recovery if required. I just ignored it and closed the browser. All fine since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

OmegaGene wrote: »
    okay so the easiest way i can see for new customers to avoid turkish text verification is

1.sign up for netflix trial in ireland entering your details inc mobile number and revolut
    2.cancel trial and let it expire (netflix no worky)
    3.connect to turkish netflix using vpn as outlined in the first post
    sorted

on a aside note it appears Revolut payment issues are because Revolut is detecting the vpn and this should sort that too, plenty of people are able to bypass the turkish mobile verification part on other sites so i am wondering does it depend on the device being used, mobile phone and tablet etc as opposed to a desktop.

Yes I found this too, when you have a card linked to the account already it didn't need verification. Only for asked for verification when I tried to set up a card on a new account.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭dercunx

Looking to join a family if anyone setting one up. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

Re Turkish Netflix, as of August 1st all broadcasts (including Netflix etc) within Turkey are regulated by the central broadcasting commission

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/turkey-netflix-government-supervision-censorship

I'm not sure how censorious they will be with Netflix but expect to see some changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Re Turkish Netflix, as of August 1st all broadcasts (including Netflix etc) within Turkey are regulated by the central broadcasting commission

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/turkey-netflix-government-supervision-censorship

I'm not sure how censorious they will be with Netflix but expect to see some changes.

Won’t see any of it unless you live/travel in Turkey. The whole point of this trick is the billing and only the billing is done in Turkey and the content is in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Doesn't make a blind bit of difference to 99.9% of people on Boards taking advantage of this loophole.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

Ah, cheers. I don't use Netflix either way but I'm over in Turkey a lot and was aware of the 'deal' on this thread, I thought the new law may have affected peoples viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭The Mulk

okay so the easiest way i can see for new customers to avoid turkish text verification is

1.sign up for netflix trial in ireland entering your details inc mobile number and revolut
    sorted

on a aside note it appears Revolut payment issues are because Revolut is detecting the vpn and this should sort that too, plenty of people are able to bypass the turkish mobile verification part on other sites so i am wondering does it depend on the device being used, mobile phone and tablet etc as opposed to a desktop.

Just did this on the phone.Logged into my newly created Netflix account, (expired today after 1 month) deleted my Irish phone number. Used Hola VPN to access Chrome(set to Turkey). Signed in, directed to Turkish prices and renewed. Asked for a Turkish number, just signed out. Turned on the Fire TV stick and it's working. 29.99 lira taken off the Revolut.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

sorted

I’ve set up numerous new accounts for people using Netflix Turkey and I’ve never had the issue with the phone number, I always just click skip as it’s only for account recovery as far as I could tell. Have they changed things recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I’ve set up numerous new accounts for people using Netflix Turkey and I’ve never had the issue with the phone number, I always just click skip as it’s only for account recovery as far as I could tell. Have they changed things recently?

I didn't notice a skip button on the mobile version I was on. I just signed out, and logged on on a different machine, it worked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Thanks a million man. Clear instructions and the tor method worked straight away for me :)

No messing with paying for a trial VPN and then getting your money back either. That tor browser is handy to have. I actually checked the IP address I got and it is indeed in Turkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Just paid €4.88 for the mid level sub :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sean.casaidhe

Just done this, easy peasy. Used Revolut card via Tor browser with the exit nodes set as per online instructions...

• Advertisement

Argentinian Peso is crashing, so a quick google converter shows them now cheaper (Netflix Premium in Argentina is 299 pesos, which is now €5.90). 39.99 Turkish Lira is €6.41...

Note: price in Argentina is sourced from here: https://www.reddit.com/r/netflix/comments/8pemdh/global_netflix_price_comparison_sheet/, so might be out of date?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Argentinian Peso is crashing, so a quick google converter shows them now cheaper (Netflix Premium in Argentina is 299 pesos, which is now €5.90). 39.99 Turkish Lira is €6.41...

Note: price in Argentina is sourced from here: https://www.reddit.com/r/netflix/comments/8pemdh/global_netflix_price_comparison_sheet/, so might be out of date?

Can't buy ARS on revolut

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

Revolut have a free ten euro sign up offer if you use referral links. Makes this even more tempting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Tragically, the price in Argentina has increased from 299 to 369 Argentian whatevers so my last monthly bill was €7.68 up from €6.27 the previous month ....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Does anyone know if I can change my account from standard to premium just by logging in or do I need to use a VPN for that too? I'm already signed up to Turkey and the option is there to change subscription when I log in but I don't want to just do it in case it raises flags.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

Tragically, the price in Argentina has increased from 299 to 369 Argentian whatevers so my last monthly bill was €7.68 up from €6.27 the previous month ....

You must have paid a few days ago, ARS is crashing right now which means my $369 ARS came out at €6.22 today :D

d0N9UDi.png

Wheety wrote: »
    Does anyone know if I can change my account from standard to premium just by logging in or do I need to use a VPN for that too? I'm already signed up to Turkey and the option is there to change subscription when I log in but I don't want to just do it in case it raises flags.

I changed from middle to top tier without VPN, no issues at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

You must have paid a few days ago, ARS is crashing right now which means my $369 ARS came out at €6.22 today :D

d0N9UDi.png

Wow, that is no joke. Best wishes to my Argentinean compadres.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭clint_silver

I set up netflix and youtube premium in argentina which todays rates works out at something like €6,40 and €2,90 a month for family rates.

no problem. Now I was execting revolut to have the ARS argentinian peso for currency exchange but it doesnt so I created a virtual revolut card and set some monthly limits to protect me from any wild currency fluctuations and used that for both of the accounts.

Does revolut have ARS?

If not then am I right then I dont have to top up the virtual card it takes from my main revolut account

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

d0N9UDi.png

5.98e for me for the top account today

Advertisement