Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do the masses gravitate to blandness?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Beige is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

riemann wrote: »
    The definition of blandness is every tom dick and harriet painting everything in their homes grey.

Grey. The most bland colour imaginable, and depressing.

Neutral does not equal bland, for the finishes and furnishing that are not going to be changed that often neutral colours like grey work best livened up with other colours unlike beige pretty much any colour goes with it, I've seen interiors where EVERYTHING is some shade of grey, that does look bland but by using it carefully it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The definition of blandness is every tom dick and harriet painting everything in their homes grey.

It comes in fifty shades though, and then fifty shades darker :p

Having this place painted magnolia for the last 20 years, someone suggested I try a light shade of grey on the walls and doors, and white on the skirting boards and ceilings. I was initially well apprehensive, but the finish is really nice and modern.

(and as someone else suggested earlier - it takes the dirt really well, filthy in fact :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Looks at every wall in my house.... Yup... (with the exception of the bathroom which is a mental, put sunglasses on yellow)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

I like cream, straw, mocha sort of colours. Neutral/natural shades. As someone said they're a good ground for colourful accessories or art.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

There is depth and complexity to everything, food, music, cars, sport, hobbies, science etc. As humans we get a limited amount of time to spend on everything, so the default for things we're not overly interested in will be the average, just because someone doesn't have the complexity of taste in something that you are passionate about, does not mean that they can't talk for hours about where they spend their time.

It's also easy enough to fall back to the average if you don't get to exercise your brain in that area.

Besides, eventually you'll realise the endpoint is Rachmaninoff, but it will be a journey getting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Greyfox wrote: »
    Not true, craft beer is too beery for some people's tastes and some people can't be bothered with something been an acquired taste. I love Erdinger but sometimes you can't beat a light beer like Heiniken, it depends on my mood.

Last thing you need is beers to taste beery alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

mocha

Is that just a beige rebrand?
    astrofool wrote: »
    Besides, eventually you'll realise the endpoint is Rachmaninoff, but it will be a journey getting there.

Ah yes. The Rach 3 in 'Shine'.
    Culmination.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

RWCNT wrote: »
    I've a friend who constantly disregards any music she doesn't like as "bland" or "lacking in feeling" if she's feeling like a critic that day - drives me mad. All music is simply notes and rhythm, any "feeling" you take from it is solely your response to it.
    One thing I always remind myself about "blandness" is that Vanilla was unknown in Europe until the invasion of South America. After that it was very much a spice of the European elites, an exotic flavour from the West, used to add zest to expensive fine delicacies. It has a rich, almost overbearing flavour so has to be used in small quantities.

And yet now "Vanilla" is a "synonym" for "bland". Simply because it's widely available and everyone enjoys it.

Vanilla is in fact anything but bland. Likewise, U2 is not bland. Nor is pop music.

But just like the ubiquity of vanilla, if you have to hear pop music all the time, you will quickly tire of it and seek out alternatives.

topper75 wrote: »

/QUOTE]

Imagine a very milky chocolate milkshake. That's Mocha paint.

Imagine camel colour watered down several notches. Beige.

To my mind anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

topper75 wrote: »

/QUOTE]

Imagine a very milky chocolate milkshake. That's Mocha paint.

Imagine camel colour watered down several notches. Beige.

To my mind anyway.

Thanks. The subtlety is lost on me there but I'm fully willing to accept the fault is with me. As a male my eyes can only perceive about 8, sometimes 9, colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Irish people are very safe......nearly all the taps in most bars are awful rat piss.
    The ingredients aren't full on the labels, why is there an exemption for the drinks industry on this...if people knew what was in that stuff they may change.
    Nothing beats an unfiltered cask ale thats freshly tapped and pulled by a nice bar landlady.

This answer uses a bit of lateral thinking :

In most Starbucks cafés and supermarkets floor staff will use a script when interacting with you.

Many Irish customers love this way and delight in the spiel.

Think of how "santa" deals with the kids in his grotto.

Advertisement