Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vodafone X - €20 Prepay Offers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭EnzoScifo

The facebook trick got me into trouble on Tinder when I didn't realize I hadn't changed my age back :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

EnzoScifo wrote: »
    The facebook trick got me into trouble on Tinder when I didn't realize I hadn't changed my age back :o

What kind of trouble?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Well it said my age was 24 when I'm a little north of that age wise :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

got a text message after topping up saying i'll be receiving my free flight voucher soon. Gonna be interesting to see how this works.

Be very wary of this offer. It sounds like it's the same crowd who did this via Coke and Avonmore Milk - Called Sweete.

These threads about it - here's one:
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057843400

Some have had a good deal but you need to be aware it's one passenger - you will have to buy a second ticket if there are two of you. Also there is mad stuff like a substantial cancellation charge of you don't turn up.
    Customer service not the best and long delays in getting confirmation or any communication.

General opinion was that it was cheaper to pick up your own 19.99 flight on your terms.
    YMMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    Be very wary of this offer. It sounds like it's the same crowd who did this via Coke and Avonmore Milk - Called Sweete.

These threads about it - here's one:
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057843400

Some have had a good deal but you need to be aware it's one passenger - you will have to buy a second ticket if there are two of you. Also there is mad stuff like a substantial cancellation charge of you don't turn up.
    Customer service not the best and long delays in getting confirmation or any communication.

General opinion was that it was cheaper to pick up your own 19.99 flight on your terms.
    YMMV.

I thought I heard that name around before alright, something to be wary about alright. Since miniumum topup is 5 euro 3 times to get the flight, it basically works out the same price as booking your own flight anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

Sn@kebite wrote: »
    Hi can someone please tell me the significance of the facebook trick? What sites are blocked when you go through facebook age verification as opposed to showing your student card to a vodafone staff member to get the vodafone x offer?

Alternatively I suppose I could just go through facebook and then go into a vodafone store with my student card to unblock sites.

The reason I ask this is to save time and hassle doing it through fb but I would need to adjust my dob down a few yrs and I worried it may not work because I am already a VF customer and my dob is on their system unless I modify that also? I do think it's possible and doing it thru fb saves so much effort going to tallaght (teh square) in traffic.

Where did you hear that some sites were blocked if you registered through Facebook? Why would there be any blocked websites? I registered via Facebook and everything is fine, no sites I have ever tried to access have been blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Sn@kebite

mcgucc22 wrote: »
    Where did you hear that some sites were blocked if you registered through Facebook?.
    The very earliest posts in this thread is where some kind of webfilter was talked about. I think the ppl were saying they would sign up the go into a store to get a webfilter removed. I'm not sure if this was when tethering or using mobile data.

Anyway I'm registered with Vodafone X now (went into store) and tethering is still charging me so I need to wait for my thread on vf community answered. My data addon might be the culprit. We will see

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

...tethering is still charging me so I need to wait for my thread on vf community answered. My data addon might be the culprit. We will see

Check that the APN is set to live.vodafone.com and delete any other APNs. What phone is it? iPhones are the main culprit for APN switching (and charging) while tethering.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Check that the APN is set to live.vodafone.com and delete any other APNs. What phone is it? iPhones are the main culprit for APN switching (and charging) while tethering.
    Sony Xperia Z5 compact. - I have only live.vodadone and mms.vodafone in the APN list. Still charges me though. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Sony Xperia Z5 compact. - I have only live.vodadone and mms.vodafone in the APN list. Still charges me though. :/

I had the exact same issue with a Sony Z5 (alas broken now).
    Kept switching to HS and I was getting charged when tethering.
    I even deleted HS APN, but it kept being added back in (how? Must have been VF?)
    VF never managed to fix the issue.
    Painful!

Anyhow try the following.
    Edit the Live APN
    Change "MVNO Type" to "GID"
    "MVNO value" should show as "ff"
    Save it
    Go back in ro Live APN and ensure the change was saved (yeah I'm paranoid)
    And also make sure the HS APN is deleted.

See how that goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Mr.S wrote: »
    Just to be sure, to sign up to this X plan online, you already need to a standard VF PAYG customer?

No .I moved from Eir.

biebiebie wrote: »
    I had the exact same issue with a Sony Z5 (alas broken now).
    Kept switching to HS and I was getting charged when tethering.
    I even deleted HS APN, but it kept being added back in (how? Must have been VF?)
    VF never managed to fix the issue.
    Painful!
    I've solved this problem myself (sort of); the only thing is I can't use 4G+ (4G-LTE). I used an old galaxy fame and noticed I was not charged so knew it must be my xperia Z5 so I looked at the galaxy fame and noticed it was using the H network. So I went back to my Z5 and disabled 4G and low and behold I was not charged. Then I decided to narrow it down even further and used my (faulty) Galaxy S5 which supports 4G but not 4G+ (LTE) and I did not get charged for the usage.

So the story is it is definitely to do with the 4G+ (4G-LTE) network where I'm getting charged for data. So now my xperia is tethered as I type this and it is set to use only H & H+ network by turning off 4G support manually.

The irony is I can use 4G+ to download on my phone itself but not tether with 4G+. Although if I could get my phone to use standard 4G like my galaxy S5 I would not be charged either. So it's the LTE network that is the problem. The only downside is H/H+ have slower transfer speeds than 4G/4G+ but it's no biggy really.

But it does beg the question how are other users tethering with 4G+ (LTE), if they are in fact doing so? :confused:

As you say vodafone told me they disabled the HS APN and that is all they were willing to do. Had to figure it out myself by process of elimination.

I will give your idea a whirl and see. Thanks.
    How did you sign up to the Vodafone X plan without a Vodafone number? Seems like you need to be a VF customer first, unless you do it instore.
    You go instore and I believe they port your number across, then you do the online trick with facebook to become a 16-25 yr old once again. (Digital makeover it would seem.) Note- I did not do this, I'm just going on the earlier comments. I just went instore with my student card and they set it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

How did you sign up to the Vodafone X plan without a Vodafone number? Seems like you need to be a VF customer first, unless you do it instore.
    Just follow the steps in #1.

I wasnt a VF customer and did it all online.They posted me out a VF sim and I was ported over .Quick and easy process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

I've solved this problem myself (sort of); the only thing is I can't use 4G+ (4G-LTE). I used an old galaxy fame and noticed I was not charged so knew it must be my xperia Z5 so I looked at the galaxy fame and noticed it was using the H network. So I went back to my Z5 and disabled 4G and low and behold I was not charged. Then I decided to narrow it down even further and used my (faulty) Galaxy S5 which supports 4G but not 4G+ (LTE) and I did not get charged for the usage.

So the story is it is definitely to do with the 4G+ (4G-LTE) network where I'm getting charged for data. So now my xperia is tethered as I type this and it is set to use only H & H+ network by turning off 4G support manually.

The irony is I can use 4G+ to download on my phone itself but not tether with 4G+. Although if I could get my phone to use standard 4G like my galaxy S5 I would not be charged either. So it's the LTE network that is the problem. The only downside is H/H+ have slower transfer speeds than 4G/4G+ but it's no biggy really.

But it does beg the question how are other users tethering with 4G+ (LTE), if they are in fact doing so? :confused:

As you say vodafone told me they disabled the HS APN and that is all they were willing to do. Had to figure it out myself by process of elimination.

You go instore and I believe they port your number across, then you do the online trick with facebook to become a 16-25 yr old once again. (Digital makeover it would seem.) Note- I did not do this, I'm just going on the earlier comments. I just went instore with my student card and they set it up.

Very good!
    You should post that on the Vodafone support forums.
    It might help them with fixing that issue.
    You never know they might be that bothered about it ;-)

Anyhow let us know how you get on with the suggested APN change to MVNO

...does anyone know how you turn off voicemail with Vodafone, so it just rings out?

Login to 'myvodafone', then My Phone > Phone and device settings > Call divert

##002# might also work

How can you tell if you are on 4G+, does the icon change on iPhone? I've only ever seen "4G" across the networks.
    My Xperia has symbols above the network bars. it changes automatically depending on the network available. If a faster network becomes too weak it will revert to the next fastest network. Going Down fastest to slowest my phone goes from 4G+, 4G, H+, H. I don't know how iPhone works.

I think your device needs to support the 4G+LTE network AFAIK. But your speeds you mentioned do seem to be LTE. If I'm not mistaken. In network settings I can see which networks are set for my android phone assuming the signal is in my area. (I'm no technician)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭frostypants

Has anyone tried their sim in a 4g router? I've purchased an unlocked Huawei B315 on amazon and very disappointed it's not connecting for me. I have 4 bars of signal and have hs.vodafone.ie as APN

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Has anyone tried their sim in a 4g router? I've purchased an unlocked Huawei B315 on amazon and very disappointed it's not connecting for me. I have 4 bars of signal and have hs.vodafone.ie as APN

Use live.vodafone.com as your apn.

Assuming you're on Vodafone X offer, then it's live APN you want, delete the HS APN, that's charged at 19c per MB.

Live.Vodafone.com

thanks guys. I will give that a go ;)

• Advertisement

Thanks guys. Happy days, 15mbps down and 10mpbs up. Better than the 3mbps down I get from my home broadband :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

Good find! For love nor money I can't get my Xperia XZ to bring a tethered connection though. I tried your workaround to no avail. I have made sure I am on the Live apn and that the HS is not available.

Now I am rooted and have a rom on and I thought perhaps that was the issue but when I was on 3, tethering worked fine.

This is the single issue that is tempting me to switch from Vodafone to 3 again :(

Good find! For love nor money I can't get my Xperia XZ to bring a tethered connection though. I tried your workaround to no avail. I have made sure I am on the Live apn and that the HS is not available.

Now I am rooted and have a rom on and I thought perhaps that was the issue but when I was on 3, tethering worked fine.

This is the single issue that is tempting me to switch from Vodafone to 3 again :(

Found the solution to the tethering issue. I think this is an Xperia only issue, as far as I can see but worth trying either way!

''
    Enable developer mode (Go to Settings -> About phone, and click on the build number until the developer mode is enabled).

Enable USB debugging under Settings -> Developer options

Connect the device with a USB cable to a computer with the Android SDK platform tools installed

Start an adb shell: adb shell

In the adb shell, run this command: settings put global tether_dun_required 0''

Found the solution to the tethering issue. I think this is an Xperia only issue, as far as I can see but worth trying either way!

Wonder will the fix work on non rooted handsets. What version Android is it?

Wonder will the fix work on non rooted handsets. What version Android is it?

Yes, this should work on non rooted handsets fine. The version I am on is 7.1.1.

Yes, this should work on non rooted handsets fine. The version I am on is 7.1.1.

Tethering charges (or else tether blocked) also seems to be an issue on MIUI (Xiaomi) and Oreo 8.1, hopefully your post will help them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

''
    Enable developer mode (Go to Settings -> About phone, and click on the build number until the developer mode is enabled).

Enable USB debugging under Settings -> Developer options

Connect the device with a USB cable to a computer with the Android SDK platform tools installed

Start an adb shell: adb shell

In the adb shell, run this command: settings put global tether_dun_required 0''

$ sudo adb shell
    Password:
    * daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
    * daemon started successfully *
    $ settings put global tether_dun_required 0
    Error while accessing settings provider
    java.lang.SecurityException: Permission denial: writing to settings requires:android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS

Unrooted MIUI 9.2 on Android 7.0. Doesn't work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Tethering charges (or else tether blocked) also seems to be an issue on MIUI (Xiaomi) and Oreo 8.1, hopefully your post will help them out.

I delete the hs APN on Redmi note 4 but it keeps coming back for some reason

There's some more here...
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-6/general/how-to-unlock-tethering-android-4-4-to-t3227206
    ...explaining steps that may resolve the tethering issue. It's straightforward but you'd need to know what you're doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Vodafone have opened this up to all customers and not just students.

Opt in by texting Music, Sport, or Weekned to 50222 and then when you have received the confirmation that you are on that plan, top up by €20 to begin.

https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/pay-as-you-go-plans/vodafone-x.html

Confirmation below from a Vodafone rep over in their talk to forum.
    Hi there,

We can confirm that the Vodafone X offer can be opted into now by sending the opt in text and then topping up with the required amount.

Thanks,
    Ailis

Advertisement