Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

This Fawning Of Rugby

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Someones not standing shoulder to shoulder! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Take a look at the crowds that attend these rugby matches, middle class west brits who i bet never went to a Gaa match in there life.
    And then the media making out everyone will be glued to it, yeah maybe in D4 land but most of the country dont give a toss nor want to hearabout it everyday.

I bet a lot of them have! Funnily enough one of he strong point of the Irish team is fielding i.e. Catching high balls due to their GAA backround.

Walk into a pub in Clonmel, Tralee, Limerick, Cork etc... and I bet there is a huge number of people out to watch the match today. Your post like a bitter GAA fan with no love of sport or pride in your country doing well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Take a look at the crowds that attend these rugby matches, middle class west brits who i bet never went to a Gaa match in there life.
    And then the media making out everyone will be glued to it, yeah maybe in D4 land but most of the country dont give a toss nor want to hearabout it everyday.

If only there were some way you could avoid this assault on your sensitivities.

Does your telly not have a remote?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Very few Catholics from province of Ulster have played for the Ireland rugby team so it is mainly a Protestant sport in Ulster though I don't mind it as it is the N.Ireland soccer team who have the hooligan fan base.
    However there are Catholics who play for the Rainey old boys club team.

Always was and is known as a protestant sport in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I know plenty of common people who are rugby fans, we have a club here in my small town and all classes are represented on the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,408 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I think it's problem is its complexity.
    If it were simpler the lower class could understand and identify with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Not one person i know over the age of 40 in the countryside supports this sport, perhaps because they were brought up with the history of the english landlord class in this country.
    Seems a shame in the cities some people forget there history and turn into west brits.

Oh Lord! Have we not grown up yet?

Cities?? Rugby is watched and enjoyed by many rural people all around the country. It's a sport. There are many sports. And there is a reason why there are many sports: because different people enjoy different sports. Live with it. But, don't start the whole keyboard celtic warrior claptrap.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Not one person i know over the age of 40 in the countryside supports this sport, perhaps because they were brought up with the history of the english landlord class in this country.

It's not a political party
    Seems a shame in the cities some people forget there history and turn into west brits.

Lets not even go there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I will be watching both the rugby and soccer matches in my local GAA club bar today.
    Michael Cusack will be doing cartwheels in glasnevin!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I've a nephew playin for his school in Tallaght. Doing very well. He has no idea it was ever 'elitist' or 'Protestant'. He has his chips on a plate. Not on his shoulder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Again speak for yourself. Mostly RC playing around here and always was. Don't generalise about your own narrow experience.

Very few Catholics from province of Ulster have played for the Ireland rugby team so it is mainly a Protestant sport in Ulster though I don't mind it as it is the N.Ireland soccer team who have the hooligan fan base.
    However there are Catholics who play for the Rainey old boys club team.

Take your silly agenda elsewhere. Thousands of Catholics play rugby here, sure the original All Black was from Ramelton. The real Daniel is a hundred times the man you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

NOT PROTESTANT?!!? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Things change. I'm sure those same ancestors would be turning in their graves at a lot of what we do.

I still see rugby as an elitist sport, but I know that's based on what rugby was 20 years ago more than it is now. The popularity of the sport is based on the team not being as bad as we were previously: we're winning things (albeit the six nations, but we may get past the quarter finals of the world cup) which means more support and more people playing it. So it'll be less and less elitist which is a good thing.

20 years ago the Irish rugby team had a bigger following than it has now!

Club rugby was never elitist, not even 40 years ago, an absolutely ridiculous assertion, and I'm from the midlands btw, where my old man and all his brothers played rugby, where I played rugby.

I remember interviewing Tony Ward 20 years ago for the school newspaper, nothing elitist about him, one of the most professional sports people I have ever had the privilege to meet. I've met many top class Irish rugby players and former Irish rugby players since, and I've never been given the impression by any of them that they see themselves as elitist.

Some fair-weather fans shouldn't be taken as a reflection or representation of people who play rugby or follow rugby as a whole.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

Take your silly agenda elsewhere. Thousands of Catholics play rugby here, sure the original All Black was from Ramelton. The real Daniel is a hundred times the man you are.

and Dave Gallaher was Presbyterian and a member of the British crowns military.

I hear there's lads playing hockey these days. Feckin' west chicks.

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I dislike rugby as much as most other Irish people disliked it before the Ireland rugby team became successful. It must be a bit annoying to be an actual rugby fan (i.e. someone who didn't just latch onto it when the Ireland rugby team started winning and the soccer team went a bit crap) and having to pay more to go to matches, for the privilege of being surrounded by people who don't know the rules, but YAY COYBIG!!1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

If someone falls over in Dundrum Shopping Centre when there's a rugby match on, does anyone hear it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

When did this start.
    Years ago you never had such a love in by the media for rugby.
    To me it has been and always will be a elitest sport, does in no way represent the common man in this country.
    The ancestors of many people supporting it today would turn in there graves if they saw there offspring supporting it.

Will you go away to fek. My ould lad a farmer from back west who was born in the 1920's loved rugby though he only ever seen it on TV. Farm work was always suspended for televised internationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

And for what it's worth there is absolutely nothing wrong with being a Protestant, we're all Christians here so just cut out that nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I can't tell if this is meant to be an unpopular opinion intended to stir shyte, or if it really is evidence of someone who is simply ill-informed.

Either way, the whole thing is just wrong, on so many levels.

He's just trolling for thanks.

It's his modus operandi. If he doesn't get the reaction he wants he never comes back to comment in his own thread.

and Dave Gallaher was Presbyterian and a member of the British crowns military.

And what? Never heard anybody around here disowning him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

RayM wrote: »
    I dislike rugby as much as most other Irish people disliked it before the Ireland rugby team became successful. It must be a bit annoying to be an actual rugby fan (i.e. someone who didn't just latch onto it when the Ireland rugby team started winning and the soccer team went a bit crap) and having to pay more to go to matches, for the privilege of being surrounded by people who don't know the rules, but YAY COYBIG!!1

When was the cut-off point? I'd like to know if I made it as a real fan or I'm just a bandwagoner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

In fairness, this is true. Listen carefully during today's match and all you'll hear is "Down with rosary beads!" and "Shove your transubstantiation up your arse!"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You do know that:

1.viewing figures for last week's match against Italy are higher than the GAA final and,
    2. The biggest ever crowd to attend a rugby wc game was our match in Wembley?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

In fairness, this is true. Listen carefully during today's match and all you'll hear is "Down with rosary beads!" and "Shove your transubstantiation up your arse!"

That would be an ecumenical matter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

And what? Never heard anybody around here disowning him.

That is because Donegals conflict ended in the 1920s and there is no serious religious/cultural segregation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Stheno wrote: »
    You do know that:

1.viewing figures for last week's match against Italy are higher than the GAA final and,
    2. The biggest ever crowd to attend a rugby game was our match in Twickenham?

Wembley.

Biggest WC attendance

Other way round, dude.

• Advertisement

I was going to watch the North's last game (I'm more a soccer man) but I'm turning on TV 3 now to spite you :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement