Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locating eggs

• 10-10-2015 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭

It drives me nuts. Every time I'm in the supermarket. The location of nearly every other everyday item is obvious except eggs. What the **** is wrong with supermarkets and why do they hide their eggs? Anyone else share my pain?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,333 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Did you try looking under the chickens?

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Same spot in aldi and lidl every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They are usually on the eggs shelf in my supermarket. Never had a problem finding them to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Tis quite annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Same spot in aldi and lidl every week.

Eggsactly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭lakesider

Its a catch 22 situation OP..eggs are an excellent way to curtail blindnesshttp://www.saudereggs.com/umlstudy.htm, but your inability to findthen is gonna feck that plan:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

They are usually on the eggs shelf in my supermarket. Never had a problem finding them to be honest.
    Yeah, where's the egg shelf? It's usually in some completely obscure location. Like today for instance, finally located them between the wine and bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Yeah, where's the egg shelf? It's usually in some completely obscure location. Like today for instance, finally located them between the wine and bread.

Change supermarket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭TheNobleKipper

I often have the same problem, but in general they tend to be close to the bread...i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

It drives me nuts. Every time I'm in the supermarket. The location of nearly every other everyday item is obvious except eggs. What the **** is wrong with supermarkets and why do they hide their eggs? Anyone else share my pain?

Yes, and frankly I've had un oeuf.

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    Change supermarket
    It happens in every supermarket. I go to one of 4 Dunnes or 2 Tescos depending on my mood.

Lidl ain't happening due to bad memories of student life and 7 pence cans of tomatoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

The Dunnes near me have started putting them in a fridge unit beside the dairy products. Took me a fecking age to find them the other day. What a stupid waste of electricity and fridge space.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

They tend to be hidden in weird locations alright.
    Can never remember where they are,even when they haven't been moved three times this month.

Yeah, the grotty Dunnes in the parkway had them in the fridge for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I swear dunnes moves the eggs every time I go in there. Sometimes they're in or near the refrigerated stuff, then they're moved to by the bread, or by the cakes, its so weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

The Dunnes near me have started putting them in a fridge unit beside the dairy products. Took me a fecking age to find them the other day. What a stupid waste of electricity and fridge space.
    Yeah, the grotty Dunnes in the parkway had them in the fridge for a while.
    I swear dunnes moves the eggs every time I go in there. Sometimes they're in or near the refrigerated stuff, then they're moved to by the bread, or by the cakes, its so weird.

The next time you are in there you should point out that the this is a serious health risk. In the EU, eggs should never be refrigerated until purchased by the consumer. I would assume there are even health regulations/laws that Dunnes are breaking by doing this, but I wouldn't be an expert in this field.

In the EU, eggs should always be kept in a cool, dry place until their final destination (where they can be refrigerated), and stores typically display them next to the baking section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Hiding eggs is an evolutionary adaptation to avoid predators and advance the species.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Check beside the sausages, rashers and pudding next to the mug of tae..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,753 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Sure isn't it good practise for you for when Easter comes around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

dotsman wrote: »
    The next time you are in there you should point out that the this is a serious health risk. In the EU, eggs should never be refrigerated until purchased by the consumer. I would assume there are even health regulations/laws that Dunnes are breaking by doing this, but I wouldn't be an expert in this field.

In the EU, eggs should always be kept in a cool, dry place until their final destination (where they can be refrigerated), and stores typically display them next to the baking section.

Whether they are in the fridge or not doesn't make a difference here because we don't wash our eggs like they do in the US. They last 28 days from laying either way. Putting them in a fridge and then taking them out doesn't harm them at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Steppenwolfe

If you are having problems with eggs try finding the sugar. Staples that most people have to buy are never prominently shelved. It's basic marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Whether they are in the fridge or not doesn't make a difference here because we don't wash our eggs like they do in the US. They last 28 days from laying either way. Putting them in a fridge and then taking them out doesn't harm them at all.

It's not just washing, there are serious health issues associated with refrigerated eggs. Basically, once chilled, they must stay chilled. If they return to room temperature (or warmer, such as the boot of a car on a hot day), they can sweat, leading to critical contamination.

Salmonella due to eggs used to be a big thing in Europe, but not so much any more due to these practises (much cleaner manufacturing processes, no "cleaning" prior to sale and no refrigeration until final destination). Salmonella from eggs is still a big thing in the States.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Eggs are disgusting nuggets of menstrual gunk.

Also, my local Dunnes moved all the oils into a fridge so they now resemble bottles of butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Supermarkets hide their eggs so people won't put all their eggs in one basket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

First world problem ............

I never worry where the eggs (or anything else for that matter) are in a supermarket, I just saunter up and down the aisles and take the items I need/want/like the look of as I see them ......... I've never gotten to the last aisle and thought "Where the f*ck are the eggs!?!!".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Can't sympathise really ... I don't buy eggs In Supermarkets. Even "free range" are not as free as they'd like you to imagine.

I get my eggs fresh from my ex battery hens. Tastes 1000 times better than anything you'll buy from A supermarket.

MadDog76 wrote: »
    First world problem ............

I never worry where the eggs (or anything else for that matter) are in a supermarket, I just saunter up and down the aisles and take the items I need/want/like the look of as I see them ......... I've never gotten to the last aisle and thought "Where the f*ck are the eggs!?!!".

See I don't really go down the aisles in the supermarket on a weekly shop.

I do a once off shop of dry and tinned stuff - Tomatoes/coconut milk/rice/deed fruit - every so often but on a weekly shop I got around the edges. I know where they are now in superquinn and it's a nice logical place at the end of an aisle facing the sausages. But there's no continuity with eggs like there is with other products.

Yes, I did just say continuity with eggs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

They're in the fridge - where else would they be? Just stick with the same supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Can't sympathise really ... I don't buy eggs In Supermarkets. Even "free range" are not as free as they'd like you to imagine.

I get my eggs fresh from my ex battery hens. Tastes 1000 times better than anything you'll buy from A supermarket.

These ex battery hens , you talk of ?
    How do you charge them up ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Hatless wrote: »
    They're in the fridge - where else would they be? Just stick with the same supermarket.

On an ambient shelf no where near a fridge .......

Advertisement