Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭irelandjoe

Looking at options to upgrade from old sky+ box to sky q,
    when I go online to look at pricing looks very low. I currently pay €41.70 per month, on Sky Variety + Kids

They have added Signature + Multiroom and now it says my new month total would be €33 ?!? (Says Current Monthly total is €12)

One -off costs for 1 2TB box and 2 minis come to €85.

I called sky and they said that sounded weird and almost said go for it if it says that price! anyone else seen this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭davo2001

irelandjoe wrote: »
    when I go online to look at pricing looks very low. I currently pay €41.70 per month, on Sky Variety + Kids

They have added Signature + Multiroom and now it says my new month total would be €33 ?!? (Says Current Monthly total is €12)

I called sky and they said that sounded weird and almost said go for it if it says that price! anyone else seen this ?

I'd say if thats what it's saying then go for it, a contract works both ways!

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Any good deals on cancellations recently? i'm currently paying 92Euro a month for Variety, HD and Sports?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pmurphy2

irelandjoe wrote: »

Any update on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,301 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

ctlsleh wrote: »
    Any good deals on cancellations recently? i'm currently paying 92Euro a month for Variety, HD and Sports?

Went to cancel (via the new online form). Currently have the old Sky World package with all sports/movies which is apparently 142 per month. Had a call back offering me a reduction to 95 euro so I continued with the cancellation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Went to cancel (via the new online form). Currently have the old Sky World package with all sports/movies which is apparently 142 per month. Had a call back offering me a reduction to 95 euro so I continued with the cancellation.

Can you provide a link to that form? if you don't mind, thank you.

You have to sign in for the form but the link is at the bottom of this page under "Mail us".

https://www.sky.com/help/canceltvroi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I don't have any codes or anything, but I called up Sky last week as all our current offers were about to expire, and we saved €57. The rep applied every discount avaliable. We went from €199 (never actually paid this) to €142.

We have Sky TV, Multiroom, Sports, Sports Extra, Movies, Broadband and Talk. I think this is reasonable.

Got an offer in the app yesterday for a 35% discount. Has anyone seen better?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭toonarmy1

[HTML][/HTML]

Canceled 2 weeks ago and got the same offer yesterday, With little live sport cant see myself keeping it on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,610 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I think 35% has been the max discount anyone has got off Sky in the last year.
    Last time I looked it didn't apply to all their services.

Cheers. I suspect with covid, they'll probably see a drop in terms of subscriptions and might revise but probably not for a few more months yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

As another poster said, that seems to be the max discount being offered for quite some time. They used to offer 50% off and a credit on your account too. They were the days :P.

As another poster said, that seems to be the max discount being offered for quite some time. They used to offer 50% off and a credit on your account too. They were the days :P.

and that was when the cost of Sky was half what it is now :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 46 carazeb

Hi, I currently have a Sky+ HD box with variety pack. Called Sky to cancel and was offered a deal to upgrade to Sky Q. I'm undecided about this. If I upgrade to Sky Q, will I be allowed to keep the equipment I have at the moment so I will still have a means of receiving free channels if I decide to cancel Sky in the future (Sky said they would install a new dish and box for the Sky Q, which I understand would remain the property of Sky).

Also, if I wanted to get a Sky Q mini box to use in another room, would there usually be an upfront & monthly cost for this? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,563 ✭✭✭CoBo55

carazeb wrote: »
    Hi, I currently have a Sky+ HD box with variety pack. Called Sky to cancel and was offered a deal to upgrade to Sky Q. I'm undecided about this. If I upgrade to Sky Q, will I be allowed to keep the equipment I have at the moment so I will still have a means of receiving free channels if I decide to cancel Sky in the future (Sky said they would install a new dish and box for the Sky Q, which I understand would remain the property of Sky).

Also, if I wanted to get a Sky Q mini box to use in another room, would there usually be an upfront & monthly cost for this? Thanks

Ask for, and make sure you get on install day, a hybrid lnb with enough connections to allow you to go back to free tv if you want. The standard Q lnb won’t work with the older type boxes. Get the installer to leave your box connected to the new hybrid lnb and to run a new cable to the Q box. If you have multi room already there’s no up front charge for one mini box but there is an extra monthly charge. I looked into doing the upgrade myself but didn’t bother in the end.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Ask for, and make sure you get on install day, a hybrid lnb with enough connections to allow you to go back to free tv if you want. The standard Q lnb won’t work with the older type boxes. Get the installer to leave your box connected to the new hybrid lnb and to run a new cable to the Q box. If you have multi room already there’s no up front charge for one mini box but there is an extra monthly charge. I looked into doing the upgrade myself but didn’t bother in the end.

That's great, thanks for that info. The installer who usually covers our area is quite helpful so hopefully he would do what you've suggested without issue. I don't currently have multi room, I just had found some older search results on google (although possibly UK ones) that had suggested that the Sky Q mini boxes had a one-off install cost with no monthly subscription charges. I thought it sounded too good to be true though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

carazeb wrote: »
    That's great, thanks for that info. The installer who usually covers our area is quite helpful so hopefully he would do what you've suggested without issue. I don't currently have multi room, I just had found some older search results on google (although possibly UK ones) that had suggested that the Sky Q mini boxes had a one-off install cost with no monthly subscription charges. I thought it sounded too good to be true though!

Monthly cost is the same if you one or 3 addtional mini Q's - unlike the individual charge on regulat multi rooms

Monthly cost is the same if you one or 3 addtional mini Q's - unlike the individual charge on regulat multi rooms

Ah ok that's good to know. I see the sky site says €19 a month for multi room, so I suppose that's not too bad if it covers more than one room

• Registered Users Posts: 8,563 ✭✭✭CoBo55

That isn’t too bad, so you get the first box free, then pay a one off charge for each extra box and pay €19 per month, could be tempted by that arrangement.

• Advertisement

That isn’t too bad, so you get the first box free, then pay a one off charge for each extra box and pay €19 per month, could be tempted by that arrangement.

I find it amazing Sky get away with charging you a one off charge for the boxes but don't own them and then have to return them when leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

okidoki987 wrote: »
    I think 35% has been the max discount anyone has got off Sky in the last year.
    Last time I looked it didn't apply to all their services.

Which app is this? Spoke to Sky today. Have pretty much full package but no discounts offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

So if upgrading to SkyQ, will the existing non-Sky(Amiko) boxes no longer work if we don’t request a hybrid lnb?
    How many cables need to run to the main box? Currently I have 2 to the main Sky+ box and then 2 that run to different locations for free to air?
    Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭davo2001

anyone got a non premium number to call sky on to cancel / get a better deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭peterobrien100

davo2001 wrote: »

The number is 1800 927476

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

davo2001 wrote: »

Let us know if you have any success

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

So if upgrading to SkyQ, will the existing non-Sky(Amiko) boxes no longer work if we don’t request a hybrid lnb?

You're absolutely right - you need a hybrid LNB

To my knowledge, the sky techs are under no obligation to supply one, but I see several people have managed to get one (a small private fee may apply)
    How many cables need to run to the main box? Currently I have 2 to the main Sky+ box and then 2 that run to different locations for free to air?
    Thanks in advance!

That will be fine - from the hybrid run the sky q (two cables required)

Use the other two as normal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Hi all. I left Sky 2 years ago after 15 years and went to Virgin. I have bb + landline + 3no. TVs (basic TV package). I left as Sky had gone up to well over €100pm and I got Virgin for €80. Usual wranglings in price every year. Anyway Virgin has now gone up to €107 so thought I’d try Sky today. Surprisingly they quoted €74 pm for bb (500MB) + landline + Sky Q + 2 mini boxes. Install is pricey though at €170 (€50 for broadband and 2 TV’s but €120 for the second mini box). Am I missing something?, the monthly price seems too good to be true? Install price seems high. I do still have my old Sky HD boxes (3 of them) in the shed so I asked if I could get just reconnect these myself. They told me no.

Hi all. I left Sky 2 years ago after 15 years and went to Virgin. I have bb + landline + 3no. TVs (basic TV package). I left as Sky had gone up to well over €100pm and I got Virgin for €80. Usual wranglings in price every year. Anyway Virgin has now gone up to €107 so thought I’d try Sky today. Surprisingly they quoted €74 pm for bb (500MB) + landline + Sky Q + 2 mini boxes. Install is pricey though at €170 (€50 for broadband and 2 TV’s but €120 for the second mini box). Am I missing something?, the monthly price seems too good to be true? Install price seems high. I do still have my old Sky HD boxes (3 of them) in the shed so I asked if I could get just reconnect these myself. They told me no.

Sky Q is cheaper because they own the equipment and most people don't/won't cancel as they have to give the equipment back.
    Pre Q you could just run the Sky box with no card when you cancel and get all the FTA stations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Pre Q you could just run the Sky box with no card when you cancel and get all the FTA stations.

Thank you. Should the old Sky box give us FTA now if I plug it back in? (will dig out and try it later) If so I wouldn’t bother getting the two mini Q boxes

Advertisement