Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Celebrities you hate but didn't always dislike

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Holly Willoughby, she comes across as very insincere and fake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Risingshadoo

Graham Norton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭FHFM50

This is a random one but Ken Jeong (Actor from Hangover movies, Community, etc,..)

Just always got the feeling that he thinks he's hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Simon Pegg.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Odhinn wrote: »
    Bob Geldof. Thought he was the dogs bollix when he first appeared. Now I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire.

In fairness Geldof hasn't really changed his opinion on things since he first came to public notice over 40 years ago with Bananna Republic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Amy Huberman, never really minded her when she first became famous but now I see her as smug and untalented

this but RTE feels like it has to shoehorn her (and others get the same treatment not just her) into things and give her show after show when her level is a supporting/recurring character and not the lead...The indo has a thing for her too by giving nonsensical articles on her and her take on things...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Archeron

Alan Davies. Used to think he was funny in the olden days of QI but then he went and ruined the show with his shouty LISTEN TO MY JOKES shtick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Robbie Williams.

At the start I thought he was going to fade into obscurity rather quickly but the f*cker is still around.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Another one for Ray D'arcy. Seemed entertaining enough before he disappeared up his own bum and became the conscience of the nation.

Blindboy boatshoes or whatever. Found the lads mildly amusing until one of them discovered preaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Girly Gal wrote: »
    Holly Willoughby, she comes across as very insincere and fake

I dont watch her show so wouldnt know anything about her sincerity. But I always think its funny the way in the UK the tabloids have to have a female celebrity who they label as "our national sweetheart". They all do it in unison, its like a memo goes around Flleet Street on who theyll title as being the "nations sweetheart ". At the moment Holly Willoughby holds that title and she can do no wrong, they always describe her with gushing praise ("hard working mother") and she can do no wrong. But what they are really doing is building her up and putting her on a pedestal in the hope someday of a spectacular fall.

Previous iterations of the UK tabloid medias "national sweetheart" have included Nigella Lawson, Cheryl Cole and to a lesser extent Caroline Flack. As soon as there was a whiff of scandal the tabloids gleefully took them down. If Willoughby even puts a foot out of line theyll be right there with the knives to take her down. And then theyll find another "national sweetheart" to lionize and the cycle continues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Any of them that jumped on the mental illness bandwagon to extend their flagging career.

I had a close friend take his own life a few years ago and it's bad enough not having him around without having to listen to a shower of z-listers monetising his, and every other suicide victim's, death because they've run out of jokes to tell or songs to sing.

In fairness Geldof hasn't really changed his opinion on things since he first came to public notice over 40 years ago with Bananna Republic.

Is that not kind of tragic?..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I dont watch her show so wouldnt know anything about her sincerity. But I always think its funny the way in the UK the tabloids have to have a female celebrity who they label as "our national sweetheart". They all do it in unison, its like a memo goes around Flleet Street on who theyll title as being the "nations sweetheart ". At the moment Holly Willoughby holds that title and she can do no wrong, they always describe her with gushing praise ("hard working mother") and she can do no wrong. But what they are really doing is building her up and putting her on a pedestal in the hope someday of a spectacular fall.

Previous iterations of the UK tabloid medias "national sweetheart" have included Nigella Lawson, Cheryl Cole and to a lesser extent Caroline Flack. As soon as there was a whiff of scandal the tabloids gleefully took them down. If Willoughby even puts a foot out of line theyll be right there with the knives to take her down. And then theyll find another "national sweetheart" to lionize and the cycle continues.

There is an element of the media building her into the national sweetheart, but, I think Holly is different than the others you mention, as she's part of the media too, the others relied heavily on the media for their careers.If anything did come out about her I think it would be spun in a positive light a bit like when Philip Schofield came out, his wife and family's feelings were completely ignored and he was portrayed as being brave.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Is that not kind of tragic?..

I don't know, it might have been easier and more profitable for him to keep his mouth shut over the years both here and across the pond but although I wouldn't agree with a lot of what he says he stuck to his guns even when it made him unpopular.

Well, apart from Aung San Suu Kyi..

But no, I meant like, to be in his 60s to still think the same thing as he thought at 20.. anyway..

He pains me..

Wonder how he's getting on with those Syrians he was going to take in..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

As has been said in the thread Rachel Riley. Very disturbed woman on twitter trying to get people fired by tweeting their employers if they get into an argument with her. Thought she seemed to be good craic on 8 out of 10 cats does countdown, clearly not.

blindboy as well... Hard to believe hes the person from the Joe Duffy call standing up to him. He's nearly turned into Joe Duffy now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Tubs.

Actually didn't mind him too much back in the day when he had his Saturday night show, seemed like the perfect antidote to Pat the Plank but alas he turned out to be a proper pompous condescending boring prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭student7890

Love these guys

Beam me up Scotty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Catherine Thomas. Didn't have a strong opinion on her previously, enjoyed No Frontiers. Now can't stand her.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Kaizer Sosa

Definitely Bressie. Seemed like an okay guy a few years ago and I thought the Blizzards were half decent but then somebody took this moderately talented handsome fella and decided the country needed him everywhere from being a judge on the voice to being interviewed on chat shows. I just find him very dull and inauthentic - like a nerd trying to pretend he's super-confident and over compensating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Definitely Bressie. Seemed like an okay guy a few years ago and I thought the Blizzards were half decent but then somebody took this moderately talented handsome fella and decided the country needed him everywhere from being a judge on the voice to being interviewed on chat shows. I just find him very dull and inauthentic - like a nerd trying to pretend he's super-confident and over compensating.

charging schools a grand (some say it was 5grand) to talk about mental health...the neck of him...now he's doing a podcast on the topic....wonder if he's charging to listen to it...

Advertisement