Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Have you had negative experiences with foreigners in Ireland?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Only bad one was in the Globe in Dublin about ten years ago.

Lost my friends and decided to relax with my drink up against a ledge for a few minutes. Was told by a large African man who was sitting nearby with a group of his African friends to **** off from there as it was their space!

I of course told him where to go, he responded in an intimidating/threatening manner that he knew the bouncers and would get me thrown if I did not move.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,787 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Everybody loves to complement Irish people for how open they are to foreigners and how well foreigners can settle in here.

However, no one talks about all the bad stuff and the negative cultural differences that Irish people have to put up with.

Have you experienced any negative behavior from foreigners? I've seen foreign people openly smoking weed in Dublin city centre, with no shame whatsoever. What's your experiences?

My experience is my foreign friends have to put up with thinly veiled racism like the above.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Only bad one was in the Globe in Dublin about ten years ago.

Lost my friends and decided to relax with my drink up against a ledge for a few minutes. Was told by a large African man who was sitting nearby with a group of his African friends to **** off from there as it was their space!

I of course told him where to go, he responded in an intimidating/threatening manner that he knew the bouncers and would get me thrown if I did not move.

And did you move?

The tide is turning…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Short answer nope, quite the opposite actually.

I find the majority of time if you're nice to people then you'll get that back in return.

I've worked with a wide range of nationalities and sorry to say any assholes I've met in my time were fellow Irish.

And did you move?

Yeh, did in the end as he was right in my face and was a huge unit. If bouncers were indeed on his side could have been bad for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭circadian

I've had dealing with assholes both Irish and foreign over the years.

The thing is, I don't have the mental capacity of a goldfish so I realise that they're just assholes and it has nothing to do with where they're from.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

bfa1509 wrote: »
    I worked in a restaurant that catered for bus tours of tourists both domestic and foreign. Here's my personal experience:

The worst:
    Irish - Loud, ignorant, no respect for others, always making outrageous demands
    Israelis (by far the worst of the worst) - Snobs, no respect for staff, no respect for rules, pushy, always complaining

The best:
    Americans
    French - yes believe it or not, always very respectful although they never spoke a word of english (which was unusual given their expectation of everyone to speak french in their country)
    Germans

I would have a different perspective for people living in ireland - Experiences are generally good with Polish, Brazilians, spanish. It's ridiculous that I can't say who I've had generally bad experiences with, without being labelled as something or banned.

Mirroring my experiences to a tee almost, especially in relation to the two ‘worst’ with who you have talked about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

I notice most people saying that they have much worse experiences with fellow Irish. Is this not the point, isn't it bad enough putting up with our own without having to put up with someone else's as well?

I'm always baffled at the typical few that always have to bring in "racism". As if it isn't human nature to want to stick with people who are similar to yourself. Just look at the Japanese, notoriously hate foreigners working in their country but if you bring this up the typical race-baiters say "Well that's just their culture". Bollox! It's no more their culture than it is ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Arrogant with patients?

yes , beit doctor on call or the consultant sector

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I notice most people saying that they have much worse experiences with fellow Irish. Is this not the point, isn't it bad enough putting up with our own without having to put up with someone else's as well?

I'm always baffled at the typical few that always have to bring in "racism". As if it isn't human nature to want to stick with people who are similar to yourself. Just look at the Japanese, notoriously hate foreigners working in their country but if you bring this up the typical race-baiters say "Well that's just their culture". Bollox! It's no more their culture than it is ours.

'I hate people who describe the racist views I have as racism'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

'I hate people who describe the racist views I have as racism'

The bigger problem is people bringing up "racism" under the mildest scenarios, completely diluting it's meaning making it completely ineffective.

The only silver lining to this attitude is that those who over-use the term will themselves one day fall victim to it's overbearing definition

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Foreigners? No. Negative experiences with fellow Irish people? Yes.
    French - yes believe it or not, always very respectful although they never spoke a word of english (which was unusual given their expectation of everyone to speak french in their country)
    If this happens again, tell them you speak Ireland. Asking if they speak english, and all they hear is the word "english", and they pretend not to understand you. Experienced this in Nantes, France. Holy fcuk, even the beggers seemed to hate the english there!
    Have you experienced any negative behavior from foreigners? I've seen foreign people openly smoking weed in Dublin city centre, with no shame whatsoever. What's your experiences?
    I've seen Irish people openly smoking heroin in the back of a Dublin bus at 9am on a Wednesday as I went to work on the 33 bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Been around the world a couple of times, and on most continents, anyone that shares Western European values
    e.g. Europeans, Can/US/NZ/Aus/S.America are all generally all fine and dandy.

Some of the folks met from US(E/W coasts), Can (Toronto & the Eastern seaboard), Italy, Aus (NSW), NZ, India & Nepal and Japan have been the very most pleasent of all.

Folks that can swing from very wild unpredictable extremes of highly ignorant, to very decent include:
    Catalans, English, Scots, Ire, S.Africans, Aus(QLD & Vict), Canadians(BC area only) and US (Michigan region).

Only ever had negative experiences with:
    Kuwaitis, Arabs, Isr, Pakistanis, Bangladeshi and most of Africa (except Zimbabwe & Algeria)

To this day, folks from Wales remain a complete mystery, suspect they're part of an alien hybrid breeding program.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Because it is?

The Congested Districts Board of the late 1800s decided to give the town (primarily the Dillon estate) to Roscommon as it simply did not have enough market towns.

Bone of contention for folk at the time understandably, so the club continued/continues to play in the Mayo league to retain that sense of identity.

Ah I was being less than serious :) but good to get this fact out again. You are correct, Local Government Act 1898

Just remembered one incident although it might be indicative of ahole bouncers than someone's nationality. Bouncer was Hungarian.

Was in Fitzsimons in Dublin upstairs. Was meeting a friend who was back over from England. Was closing time and the bouncers were moving everyone out. The crowd including ourselves were slow getting going.

We were standing on one of the balcony kind of areas on the stairs when a bouncer came over and shouted for everyone to get moving and sneakily and out of the blue punched me hard in the small of the back. I was recovering from a serious back injury at the time and reacted by shouting this at him. I said to myself, better get going as I cannot defend myself due to the injury so legged it down the stairs.

Thought my friend was following me. Waited downstairs and no sign, no answer from his phone. After about 15 mins went outside and he was there. When I legged it he was grabbed by them and taken down a service stairs and given a bad hiding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Everybody loves to complement Irish people for how open they are to foreigners and how well foreigners can settle in here.

However, no one talks about all the bad stuff and the negative cultural differences that Irish people have to put up with.

Hardly as bad as the natives shooting up...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

When I legged it he was grabbed by them and taken down a service stairs and given a bad hiding.

That’s fairly standard “carry on” from bouncers of all nationalities in the city centre. Usually the victim has done something but then you get the “disproportionate response” from the bouncers.

The ones in Club M were, particularly, “well known” for it. Look at one the wrong way and next thing you know you’re in a back room being held down by 2 lads while some big South African is kicking 7 shades of shít out of you.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Ah I was being less than serious :) but good to get this fact out again. You are correct, Local Government Act 1898

:D thought as much, but it can be confusing for certain folk all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

While the covid checkpoints were ongoing I had a bit of hassle with an eastern European garda.

He was a bit too authoritative while questioning me. Just had an attitude about him.
    Wearing a uniform does that to some people. The same people enjoy the bit of power

• Registered Users Posts: 13,352 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I sense a Mod hovering.

This lockdown has seen alot of boards accounts opened in the last month :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

And we'll end here.

If you want to discuss negative experiences, no problem.

Restricting it to only a sector of society - not on. I am sure there are sites out the that welcome racism, not here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement