Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.
    elperello wrote: »
    Lot's of decent people live in public housing. You never know when life might take a turn and you could end up on welfare.

Bull ! Besides, I simply won’t and can’t qualify for welfare , like most middle class people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

First of all I predict that the distributors will find some reason to adsorb a lot of the price increase. So the publicans won't seen as much of the extra price as they'd like.

Can't say this too often but since the tax on alcohol itself hasn't gone up there will be no extra funds for the health services.

Any gain in VAT because of MUP will likely be matched by a loss in VAT elsewhere. This will factor into inflation figures which could trigger some costs in the budget or borrowing or something.

Off-licence consumption in Scotland has dropped by 3%
    did the pubs sell more ?
    did English supermarkets near the border sell more ?
    did the amount of home brew increase ?

Minimum price is NOT acting as a deterrent to new drinkers.
    https://www.holyrood.com/news/view,increasing-alcohol-price-has-no-impact-on-under-18s-drinking-habits-nhs-stu_15000.htm

Off licence consumption dropped. How much did drug related deaths rise??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Prof. Joe Barry on with Sarah McInerney earlier with a new plan of attack to get MUP introduced.

Apparently it will help to reduce house parties during the Covid era.

He said it's wrong that people can buy beer for one euro a can and we should be paying £2 (yes two pounds is what he said) a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

elperello wrote: »
    Prof. Joe Barry on with Sarah McInerney earlier with a new plan of attack to get MUP introduced.

Apparently it will help to reduce house parties during the Covid era.

He said it's wrong that people can buy beer for one euro a can and we should be paying £2 (yes two pounds is what he said) a pint.

Mad. A bottle on Connemara Irish whiskey costs about 44 Eur. In Germany you can buy it for 25 Eur. While a cheap can of beer can cost 50 cent. Even cheap take aways serve cheap beer. While there are many bars serving alcohol all night and all day, yet people manage fine. No chaos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

The glaringly obvious vested interests are at it again. They're loosing money and want the consumer to be punished for it. As for Joe Barry, his opinion (which is what that boils down to) should be taken with a pinch of salt.

So, to deter the few from house parties, we must punish the responsible?

I really think that some of the people dreaming up these restrictions on alcohol were social outcasts or relatives of chronic alcohol abusers and that they are taking their revenge boners out on the rest of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Well MUP won't bother me, I drink Courvoisier Cognac occasionally and nice wine as much as I can lol!

Never liked beer except occasionally when abroad and it looked great with the drops on the outside of the glass when weather was roasting. I'd have the odd pint of Guinness in the Winter, gorgeous.

Everyone is different. I have no issue with anyone buying whatever they want at a price they can afford. This MUP thing is for the publicans, and is a kind of a back door to banning alcohol outside of pubs if they could get away with it!

Cheers everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The glaringly obvious vested interests are at it again. They're loosing money and want the consumer to be punished for it. As for Joe Barry, his opinion (which is what that boils down to) should be taken with a pinch of salt.

So, to deter the few from house parties, we must punish the responsible?

I really think that some of the people dreaming up these restrictions on alcohol were social outcasts or relatives of chronic alcohol abusers and that they are taking their revenge boners out on the rest of society.

Senator Black who was pushing this is an alkie. Obviously if she can’t control herself nobody can so we need these rules.

• Advertisement

• Senator Black who was pushing this is an alkie. Obviously if she can’t control herself nobody can so we need these rules.

Another, "I'm alright Jack".

Won't affect her so of course she's for it.

• Well MUP won't bother me, I drink Courvoisier Cognac occasionally and nice wine as much as I can lol!

As has been stated repeatedly on this thread, it will affect you because you can expect your Courvoisier to go up in price.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

This MUP thing is for the publicans, and is a kind of a back door to banning alcohol outside of pubs if they could get away with it!

Cheers everyone.
    Turkeys voting for Christmas

If MUP comes in expect the distributors to increase prices because shareholders like profits.

Only supermarkets with own brands sourced directly will get to keep the price increase.

MUP won't raise any extra excise duty to go to the Health Services.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I see they got it through and shops must have alcohol seperate to the rest of the stores items for sale....

• I see they got it through and shops must have alcohol seperate to the rest of the stores items for sale....

Which is completely unworkable for many many shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I agree....

I'm more worried at how they manage to get these bills in and it's not even news... Seems we are only told what they want us to know and it seems crap in the US is more important....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,472 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

You cannot make laws, or not make them, on the basis that it might be difficult for some people.

If it is the right thing to do (which of course is very questionable) then whether some shops will struggle is not really an issue.

Just like cigarette sales, smoking areas in pubs and drink driving laws, people will find a way to adapt to the new laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,055 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Will the shops have trained staff to mind shoppers kids outside these alcohol areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,472 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Will the shops have trained staff to mind shoppers kids outside these alcohol areas?

Why would they? Do pubs have trained staff to look after kids? Do other paces have trained staff to look after kids; dentist, doctor etc.

Kids are allowed into the alcohol sections, just not buy the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,057 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'm just glad I live very close to the border

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Home entertaining isn't going away. No matter what stunts the publican lobby pull, they will have to address what an exorbitant cost they - and to be fair, the main culprits which are the handful of monopoly brewers here - charge.

When the traditional pubs open, it'll be interesting to see how many people have got used to staying at home in terms of convenience, choice and cost, even with MUP pricing which will still be far cheaper than paying through the nose for beer in pubs.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.
    It'll be interesting to see what happens come January 1st as from then on you're technically limited to duty-free allowances and to cross the border with more than the applicable limits would constitute smuggling.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Oh you sweet summer child.

This only works if both sides of the border implement similar schemes. It would be an example of cross border cooperation because both sides know exactly what would happen otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Leroy42 wrote: »
    You cannot make laws, or not make them, on the basis that it might be difficult for some people.

If it is the right thing to do (which of course is very questionable) then whether some shops will struggle is not really an issue.

Just like cigarette sales, smoking areas in pubs and drink driving laws, people will find a way to adapt to the new laws.

*cough*Legalise cannabis*cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Leroy42 wrote: »

But isn't that kinda how most laws are made or broken?
    When something (apart from murder or beating, rape, torture etc.) isn't deemed acceptable by some people, and if they make enough noise....
    Cannabis will likely be legalised here before 2030, just a matter of figuring out who is going to profit from it and how to appoint said people. Nothing to do with the people who are against it at this stage.
    Everything is harmful if abused.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Suckit wrote: »
    Everything is harmful if abused.

Especially power.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

My local shop was refurbished last year and they moved the drinks section from close to where you queue up for the tills to down a special section at the back of the shop.

The also put huge, obvious, in your face neon sinage saying "Off License" on it.

You can't miss it.

But what I've noticed of my own shopping habits is that previously I'd find myself browsing the drinks section and picking up something on impulse when it was close to the tills, but now I only buy alcohol when I specifically plan on doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

This thread has always been about politicians looking after the pub trade, and doing their buddies in the pub trade a favour at the expense of you and I the casual off license customer.

Can someone explain how they are doing that after twice cancelling the planned reopening of pubs (and likely to do so again) and at the same time reducing the vat on booze ?

You'd think that if they were as much in the back pocket of publicans as people here make out, that they would have found a way to reopen the majority of pubs regardless of the COVID 19 trends ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,786 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This thread has always been about politicians looking after the pub trade, and doing their buddies in the pub trade a favour at the expense of you and I the casual off license customer.
    Can someone explain how they are doing that after twice cancelling the planned reopening of pubs (and likely to do so again) and at the same time reducing the vat on booze ?
    You'd think that if they were as much in the back pocket of publicans as people here make out, that they would have found a way to reopen the majority of pubs regardless of the COVID 19 trends ?

It didn't get over the line just cos of those publican politicians.
    There was also support from certain drinks retailers (indie off licences) and 'cover' for it from a public health angle.
    It's a coalition.

And by contrast big covid-19 decisions are subject to intense coverage in the media.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

• My local shop was refurbished last year and they moved the drinks section from close to where you queue up for the tills to down a special section at the back of the shop.

The also put huge, obvious, in your face neon sinage saying "Off License" on it.

You can't miss it.

But what I've noticed of my own shopping habits is that previously I'd find myself browsing the drinks section and picking up something on impulse when it was close to the tills, but now I only buy alcohol when I specifically plan on doing so.

So because your local shop is alright, then its grand.

You should change your name to Fr "I'm alright" Jack.

Considering shops are already under pressure due to Covid-19, is it really prudent to make things more difficult for them by bringing in this pointless legislation.

Advertisement