Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
23-09-2019, 14:52   #16
riffmongous
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisky_galore View Post
The amount of non issues and crowbarring in this thread is beyond belief. Better suited to AH.
I'm tending to agree with this.. but I'm going to leave it for now as the information on the Act itself is interesting. However if people want to discuss Drew Harris I'm going to move it to Current Affairs
riffmongous is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
28-09-2019, 16:12   #17
horsebox1977
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIMAN View Post
Stop trolling.

It might have been, as long as you weren't a Catholic born in the North.
I'm fairly sure he was being extremely sarcastic.
horsebox1977 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
06-10-2019, 02:20   #18
BalcombeSt4
Registered User
 
BalcombeSt4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockatansky View Post
OP, during the 50s and 60s Northern Ireland was considered one of the most tolerant, equal and welcoming societies in the world to all races, creeds and nationalies.

Then out of thin air the Provisional IRA arrived and changed all that.
That's news to me.

The several UVF killings of 1966, the Battle of the Bogside, The burning of Bombay Street, The UVF & UPV 1969 bombings in Donegal & Dublin all occured before the Provisional IRA even existed. And the first killing of a British security force member happened on the Shankill when Loyalists shot dead a RUC officer during a riot.

It was out of the ashes of Bombay Street & Orange pograms arose the Provisionals. Not thin air.
BalcombeSt4 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
06-10-2019, 02:28   #19
BalcombeSt4
Registered User
 
BalcombeSt4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisky_galore View Post
The amount of non issues and crowbarring in this thread is beyond belief. Better suited to AH.
I did say that it was extremly unlikely.

The disbanding of the B-Specials however was not a non-issue, it led to riots in the Shankill Road were the first RUC officer of the conflict was killed by the UVF. And that's a historical fact that a huge amount of former B-Specials joined the UDR. And a lot of those UDR men were involved with Loyalist paramilitaries, like Harris Boyle & Wesley Somerville who were blown up by their own bomb during the Miami attack.
BalcombeSt4 is offline  
13-10-2019, 19:00   #20
Edgware
Registered User
 
Edgware's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalcombeSt4 View Post
I did say that it was extremly unlikely.

The disbanding of the B-Specials however was not a non-issue, it led to riots in the Shankill Road were the first RUC officer of the conflict was killed by the UVF. And that's a historical fact that a huge amount of former B-Specials joined the UDR. And a lot of those UDR men were involved with Loyalist paramilitaries, like Harris Boyle & Wesley Somerville who were blown up by their own bomb during the Miami attack.

The current BBC Spotlight History of the Troubles is giving immense coverage to the antics of the security forces and their use of informers high up in Sinn Fein/IRA and all the Loyalist paramillitary groups. People like Donaldson, Scapaticci etc who were very close to Adams were touting for years and there are still many in the higher echelons of Sinn Fein who have a lot to hide. The Loyalists were as bad
Edgware is offline  
Advertisement
10-11-2019, 08:18   #21
BalcombeSt4
Registered User
 
BalcombeSt4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgware View Post
The current BBC Spotlight History of the Troubles is giving immense coverage to the antics of the security forces and their use of informers high up in Sinn Fein/IRA and all the Loyalist paramillitary groups. People like Donaldson, Scapaticci etc who were very close to Adams were touting for years and there are still many in the higher echelons of Sinn Fein who have a lot to hide. The Loyalists were as bad
That was a great series. I talked to Anto McIntyre about this and he said he wouldn't be suprised if Adams had some sort hand in helping events like Loughgall or Drumnakilly take place. If he wasn't directly involved he was certainly happy to see the more militant Provos like Jim Lynagh, Padraig McKearney, Patrick Kelly, Seamus McElwaine, Gerard Harte, Dessie Grew, Kieran & William Fleming etc... being wiped out by the SAS, which helped pave the way for Adams to swan the world stage as a peace maker.

By the 1990's the IRA was pretty much beaten in Belfast, Tyrone & Derry, like Brendan Hughes said Belfast was rotten with informers, same was true with Derry, Ed Moloney wrote that McGuinness had negotiated a secret truce in Derry as early as 1991. The only place they could move with any relative safety was South Armagh & the units in London.

The Loyalists & British were pretty much just the same belligerent.
BalcombeSt4 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet