Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-08-2018, 16:38   #1
kildarejohn

Pub and Inn signs Ireland

I was recently doing some local history research re Kildare town and came across "The George on Horseback" as the sign on an inn in Kildare - there is no pub of that name now.
This set me thinking on the more general question - why do we have very few pubs with old style inn signs like in England?
Of course most Irish pubs are named after the owning family, but there are also many pubs particularly in Dublin which have names similar to English style ones, e.g. Red Cow, Bleeding Horse etc. But even the otherwise very traditional Bleeding Horse does not (as far as I know) have a hanging pictorial sign.
Were traditional Inn Signs common here in the 19th century and only disappeared in the 20th century as an expression of distaste for all things English?
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
22-08-2018, 16:52   #2
com1

two off the top of my head are "The Galloping Green" (Gerry Byrnes) on the Stillorgan Road and "The Druids Chair" (Killiney Hill Road). I thought that "The Queens" in Dalkey also had one but Google Maps seems to disagree with me.

Next time I'm out that direction I'll check (pub crawl tomorrow )
23-08-2018, 22:07   #3
tabbey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kildarejohn View Post
I was recently doing some local history research re Kildare town and came across "The George on Horseback" as the sign on an inn in Kildare - there is no pub of that name now.
This set me thinking on the more general question - why do we have very few pubs with old style inn signs like in England?
Of course most Irish pubs are named after the owning family, but there are also many pubs particularly in Dublin which have names similar to English style ones, e.g. Red Cow, Bleeding Horse etc. But even the otherwise very traditional Bleeding Horse does not (as far as I know) have a hanging pictorial sign.
Were traditional Inn Signs common here in the 19th century and only disappeared in the 20th century as an expression of distaste for all things English?
Where in Kildare was the "George on Horseback"? Kildare town or elsewhere in the county? does the pub survive under another name?
24-08-2018, 11:12   #4
kildarejohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbey View Post
Where in Kildare was the "George on Horseback"? Kildare town or elsewhere in the county? does the pub survive under another name?
In Kildare Town, but cant be sure of where. The reference is in a Deed (available on Familysearch.org) dated 1776, Medlicott to Thornton, and as far as I can make out reads -
"... that house, messuage or tenement wherein Robert Gard formerly lived in Kildare known by the sign of The George on Horseback with two stables and backside and garden thereto belonging also a house or cabbin next adjoining to the George wherein Tom Lalor servant (?) to the said Robt. Garde their dwelt situate lying and being in Galneglaure Street near the Westgate of Kildare within the Town and Corp'n of Kildare".
So where was that? - Well Westgate was at the west end of Claregate St., so presumably near the junction of Clarregate St. and White Abbey rd., only pub near there now is McEnerneys', but another possibility is Dooras House which looks like a pub but is now Accountants office.

Last edited by kildarejohn; 24-08-2018 at 11:15.
Thanks from:
24-08-2018, 21:58   #5
tabbey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kildarejohn View Post
In Kildare Town, but cant be sure of where. The reference is in a Deed (available on Familysearch.org) dated 1776, Medlicott to Thornton, and as far as I can make out reads -
"... that house, messuage or tenement wherein Robert Gard formerly lived in Kildare known by the sign of The George on Horseback with two stables and backside and garden thereto belonging also a house or cabbin next adjoining to the George wherein Tom Lalor servant (?) to the said Robt. Garde their dwelt situate lying and being in Galneglaure Street near the Westgate of Kildare within the Town and Corp'n of Kildare".
So where was that? - Well Westgate was at the west end of Claregate St., so presumably near the junction of Clarregate St. and White Abbey rd., only pub near there now is McEnerneys', but another possibility is Dooras House which looks like a pub but is now Accountants office.
I suspect that Galneglaure is a mistranscription of Claregate .

At that time Claregate Street was mostly cabins. Following the executions of 1798, it was said the street had seventy widows, or something like that figure.
Advertisement
26-08-2018, 17:18   #6
kildarejohn

[QUOTE=tabbey;107886071]I suspect that Galneglaure is a mistranscription of Claregate .
QUOTE]
I checked out the Kildare Historic atlas on https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/a...ldare_Text.pdf.
According to the Atlas, there was a street called Gaterelylaure St. It seems to me that Galneglaure is more likely a mistranscription of that one. The atlas says location of that st. is unknown but possibly Malone's Lane.
If its Malone's Lane, then that makes it likely the George was where Dooras House is now, on corner of Malone's Lane

Thanks from:
23-10-2019, 13:54   #7
mathewr788

Experience

How was the exp ?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size