Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The dog.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭frash

I would not be around to type this but for the actions of our family dog. I recently saw a picture of him licking my face when i was about 7 years old:)
    That was three years after he saved my life.

Amazed nobody has asked already but can you tell us more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

For the life of me I'll never figure out why anyone would let a dirty animal such as a dog or cat into their house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    For the life of me I'll never figure out why anyone would let a dirty animal such as a dog or cat into their house.

I think they wash them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I feed my two every night and the first thing they'll do is go over to the porch door to be let out.
    They've probably been outside for an hour or two before this but are still mad to get out once they've eaten. It's just what they do. The oldest is nearly 15 and is fairly blind and mostly deaf but she still wants to go out into the dark for a wander around. When she's done she'll tap at the glass door with her paw and get let in. Every night.

My one will wake me up at night to let the cat in, she's just lovely. :P She's a fiend for warmth and will snuggle in as tightly as possible under the covers. :D
    Best way I can put it is that I never thought I'd clean up **** from anything other than myself yet I pick hers up all the time. :pac:

• Advertisement

begbysback wrote: »
    I think they wash them
    Every day?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Fart wrote: »
    However, let's address the elephant in the thread: Who in the blue hell calls their dog "Shane"?

I love dogs with human names! Although I still think my favourite ever dog name I've heard is "Golfball".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭anewme

He'll loyally wait on either of us when we take him on a walk to the local shop, won't budge an inch from the place we will "command" him to sit and stay (yeah we loop his lead to a bollard whilst in there, but he won't budge an inch without our say so)

Lovely post and Shane is a great name for a dog.

I'm always weary when I see people leave dogs outside shops on their own like that Too many scumbags around with ulterior motives. All it needs is a quick swipe and away in a van.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Wheety wrote: »
    Who looks after the dog while you're both in work?

Can dogs not be left alone now ?

This mentality that if someone has a dog they should be at home all the time, Dog should be let in house all the time etc drives me mad

We have dogs, We love them, We feed them, We interact with them.
    They have a nice warm bed
    BUT they are dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭frash

SAMTALK wrote: »

This mentality that if someone has a dog they should be at home all the time, Dog should be let in house all the time etc drives me mad

BUT they are dogs.

Never look in the Pets & Animals Animals & Pet Issues forum :eek:

• Advertisement

frash wrote: »
    Never look in the Pets & Animals Animals & Pet Issues forum :eek:

I know ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

begbysback wrote: »
    I think they wash them

No need to wash a cat!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

A thread about "the dog" with posts by people talking about their cat. Typical cat person, missing the point!

Cat loving people are just animal loving people who never had a dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A thread about "the dog" with posts by people talking about their cat. Typical cat person, missing the point!

Ah no. I am a cat loving person who has had two dogs. My secondd dog died late last year, breaking my heart.. and i am too old and infirm for dogs now. Cats are totally different from dogs and in many ways superior .... as dogs are superior in many ways to cats .. vive la difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Cats for the most part are far cleaner than you or I.

Do you let your phone into your house?

Classic black-and-white bullshit. My ma has 3 dogs and a gajillion cats and I love the lot of them.

I have both cats and dogs but I will admit the the dogs win every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

SAMTALK wrote: »

BUT they are dogs.

As long as they're not left outside to bark incessantly all day and annoy people, there shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

For clarity, I have no objection to cat's, I'm simply saying that ours is a prick compared to the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Why do some people have to feel the need to criticise cats so as to put their point across about dogs? No need to compare.

p0UiaGa.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

we have a wonderful dog and four wonderful cats.
    love them all.
    we can take our doggy for walks. the cats definitely wouldnt appreciate being walked but they love our garden. love their own little house. and love alk the attention they get.
    no favs here:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Fart wrote: »
    I completely agree, and it always strikes me when I hear it.

However, let's address the elephant in the thread: Who in the blue hell calls their dog "Shane"?

Oh, I LOVE pets with human names. My favourites over the years have been dogs called Mary and Niall and cats called Raymond and Fergus.

Ah, wha’? No, I’ve had both and love both. I love animals in general actually and their differences are what makes each species individually fascinating to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

dog-humor-master-is-home-cat.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

For clarity, I have no objection to cat's, I'm simply saying that ours is a prick compared to the dog.

I find it sad you had to clarify that.

My God...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I think cats have inspired more cartoon characters.

Is Garfield a prick, for instance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgWCDi755sA

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

We have a bichon frise who arrived about 8 years ago. Thought he'd stick to hanging around the house but no he thinks he's a sheep dog....albeit a not very good sheep dog...but he loves nosing around the farm going for drives on the quad bike /tractor/ jeep running into puddles etc. Bichons in case anyone doesn't realise are all white ! Every day is a wash day. Wouldn't part with him for the world.

Nixonbot wrote: »
    Cats for the most part are far cleaner than you or I.

Do you let your phone into your house?

Classic black-and-white bullshit. My ma has 3 dogs and a gajillion cats and I love the lot of them.
    Of course I let my phone in my house, what are you talking about? My phone doesn't **** in the yard or lick itself "clean" either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Cat loving people... So easy to wind up. Even fooled by cats pretending they like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

I bring my little fella to work with me, if I didn't have him in the lorry or van with me people would be wondering where he is and if he's ok :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Of course I let my phone in my house, what are you talking about? My phone doesn't **** in the yard or lick itself "clean" either.

I'm saying that your phone is utterly filthy. Crawling with bacteria and what have you.

• Advertisement

Nixonbot wrote: »
    I'm saying that your phone is utterly filthy. Crawling with bacteria and what have you.
    So am I. Neither I nor my phone can possibly be dirtier than an animal. I keep my phone in my trouser pocket, which I wash at least once a week, and I personally shower approximately ten times a week. Our dog slept on a mound of hay in the shed and the cats slept in an old car in the garden. Hardly cleaner than a lab in Intel. :rolleyes:

Advertisement