Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you work hard?

Options

Comments

I work quite hard, yes. Working for the public sector at the moment and I can honestly say that it's probably the hardest I ever have worked (and I've had demanding jobs).

Although I work hard and am knackered every evening, it's probably the least hours per week I have worked. I still work a standard working week but in other private sector jobs the done thing would have been to do a couple of extra hours most evenings, but I now see people are nowhere near as productive as they are when focus is on getting the job done to a good standard within the specified working hours.

My job is hard, subject to a lot of scrutiny, and there's no such thing as a handy day. But it's ultimately rewarding and I still have my free time.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭voldejoie

Generally yes, but there are peaks and troughs. The odd time I go through a week or so where I feel like I'm twiddling my thumbs, but more often I'm pulling late hours and working at 100% under a lot of pressure which more than makes up for the rarer, more quiet periods!

I really like my job though, even if I'd prefer to not have to put in so many late nights and have a smaller workload!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭ofcork

Love to be on that money work in the cleaning industry just clearing over 400 for 39hrs not hard work thankless work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

650 a week is low paid? You’re talking out of your arse

not by the time you pay tax on that for the hours you put in to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Spleerbun wrote: »
    I do my job well, but do everything possible to minimise the amount of time I spend working. Working for a large multinational I know their game is maximising what they can squeeze out of people as much as possible, so I do my best to do likewise with them.

Something similar here but I find recently the office politics side of things is starting to take over, I don't get involved but observe from the comfort of my desk, you'd have to laugh at the antics of some of them :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Yes i work very hard at my job. Take pride in doing a good job. Plus it's interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

YES

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MrCostington

I'm self employed (in office type work) so do work hard at times, but others not so much and makes me feel really guilty if not. I try to set daily objectives, rather than number of hours at desk.

Anyway:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I have a few big deadlines coming up so when I'm there, I work pretty much no stop, for the hours that I'm paid. As soon as it's time to go, I'm out of there. When things are calmer, I spend a bit more time on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I wouldn’t say I work hard. I do my work 100%, no one ever has to chase me up to get something finished and no one ever comes back to me to say something wasn’t done right and/or do it again. My desk is usually clear on Friday evening.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

37 hours every week. No more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭FluffyTowel

No, I dont get paid enough and the management are very critical, when I started I worked very hard and was always trying to prove myself but everything I did was corrected and criticized so I stopped trying.

That's awful management!

I work hard. It gives me a lot of satisfaction, and it's interesting. I've seen too many people giving the bare minimum and hating their jobs.

In saying that, I had a previous role where I ate, slept and breathed the job. I loved it, but it almost burned me out in the end. So now I make sure to keep my hours in reign, learned how to delegate (kinda :pac:), and - ya know what - I'm now more appreciated than when I was regularly doing 100 hour weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭pgj2015

i work 7 days a week for myself. I probably work too much but it will be worth it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The work isn't physically hard so in that respect no. I have a lot of down time. Emotionally though it's tough. I'm working with very vulnerable people who have been through all sorts. I'm often hearing and seeing things that sicken and depress me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I used to but now the wife is on the game I do very little except pop to the shops for her "supplies"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I’m self employed running an agricultural contracting business. I make good money, work hard at different parts of the year. Sometimes the work is physical other times it’s literally just sitting in a machine. Longest shift was 28 hours non stop which was torture.
    Currently I’m lambing sheep at home and on another farm. Day starts at 11am to 5am the next morning. Tough going for the next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I work 37.5 hours a week. I like my job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭Esse85

Most people work just enough not to get fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Hard to describe

No physical work involved.

Stressful role that can be hard.

Then on the slow days I could nearly stay at home. Had a month last year where I had nothing to do. Spent it helping the quality assurance manager close out old projects. (Ugh)

Majority of role is to travel to sort out problems that arise on projects. This is can be high stress but I love it.

Generally brought in too late. **** has hit fan.

Main stress is either the pissed off client, the pissed off building contractor or pissed off public.

Could take a day to sort. Could take weeks. Might never get sorted till we get in front of a judge as no interest whatsoever in sorting.

Yes I can work hard......but any labourer works harder

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Crimsonred

poisonated wrote: »
    I work 37.5 hours a week. I like my job.

Same hours here, I'd love to reduce it to 35 hours but I know that I'm doing well as it is, most of my fellow employees work 40+ hours and don't see it as an issue.

I guess I'm just a lazy sod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

So I still kind of feel new to the working world yet it’s almost 3 years since I finished college and started working still with the same company. I definitely work hard my job is not easy it is not that physical but can be high stress at times. My work hours are on the long end of the scale but not mad either. Would also take the odd night time / weekend call people would only ring when they absolutely need to and I don’t generally mind.

On the positive side I do really love the job there are bad days but the good days far out weigh them and I get great satisfaction out of it. I am very well paid and get a good annual bonus plus the weekend overtime rate is very good. It’s a good company to work for they have always had full belief in me and even last year offered me a promotion for a job I didn’t think I’d be able for but they convinced me to give it a go and a year later I am delighted I went for it. I have come a long way since I first started there as a graduate fresh out of college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Came off a 24 hour shift at 9am this morning. Physically I didn't work very hard, ie I wasnt building walls or running through ditches with a rifle and combat equipment fighting order, but I worked very long hours for very little money and that's hard on me and my family.

Had a sleep when I came home and off out for a run now, but I'm still exhausted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭4Ad

No. I work long and unsociable hours, but I have a very easy job.

Same as that. I worked all weekend, two twelve days and just finished two twelve hour nights this morning, I was busy at times but it's not too physical..luckily.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I work in software support and training, it's not a very hard job in the grand scheme of things but it comes with its own stresses i suppose! Some days it's hectic and other days I can feel like I've done nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The rise of bullsh*t jobs. A fair whack of our labour force spend their days doing pointless and utterly meaningless jobs.

https://www.newyorker.com/books/under-review/the-bull****-job-boom

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Too hard. 55-65 hours a week lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Previous job, yes, network engineer for a global company, non-stop between building kit and installing it at sites around Europe - although I mainly got the crappy French sites

This job, nope, in 3 months now and the projects I was promised/took the job for have stalled so I'm more or less getting paid (quite a bit more than the last job) for nothing. Spent this morning looking for new roles, I may have to go back into London which I was hoping to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I work smart so that I don't have to work hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

I work hard most of the time as it's a busy office. It's hard to keep going when others are lazy and disinterested though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Not particularly in this job. I do my job well and do whatever is necessary to ensure an excellent job is done, but it's just not that taxing if you know what you're doing. There's a lot of down time in the day too. It's longer hours than my last job but significantly easier overall. Less physically draining and less mentally draining and with a clear endpoint to each task, which is great. And you get a lot less crap from the general public which is refreshing.

Advertisement