Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fertility Shock

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Edenmoar

Feisar wrote: »
    How do we get back to a resource based system though?

We don't. Overpopulation and over consumption will lead to war and totalitarianism and probably billions dying. We are too greedy and short sighted. I really can't see it panning out any other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

professore wrote: »
    Watching this on RTE it talks about the declining birth rate and then talks about the high cost of childcare as a problem and goes on about how the Nordic countries do it so much better. Its true they do it better BUT their birth rates are among the lowest in the world - predictably not mentioned in the documentary of course.

So nice as it is, it isn't the solution to plummeting birth rates.

What do the good people of Boards think the solution is? Or should we go extinct?

The solution is the same one I have mentioned time and again. We must pay ourselves less for so many reasons, not just because it will reduce the cost of services. When we pay ourselves less, we have less money to buy foreign goods and more need to make what we can ourselves. Sometimes, paying ourselves less might mean improvising, for example, instead of buying a nice vase made in Turkey, we might use the unusual bottle we were going to bring to the bottle bank.

Paying ourselves less means sorting rubbish by hand can be profitable and of course it deminishes the need for incineration. Paying ourselves a lot of money when we are not even running a budget surplus is not very bright. It is like house buyers using money borrowed from abroad to bid the same houses they collectively want to buy, higher.

The Irish minimum wage is a magnet which attracts unskilled migrants to this country and that brings us full circle. If we had lower childcare costs and more employment for low skilled Irish, we would have a higher birth rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

How did you get from "we need to stop reproducing so much and allow the human population to massively decline" to "we should regress to the stone age"?

It's precisely so that future generations can continue to enjoy all of those incredible things we as a species have created, that we need to reduce the population going forward. None of them will matter much for quality of life if we reach a point in which there isn't enough space, food, water, etc to sustain a comfortable lifestyle for individuals, or when the environment has become too hostile to enjoy living in. All of these are problems which will arise in the event that we don't arrest the explosion in human population.

The simple maths of this is that the planet isn't getting any bigger, and therefore nor are the various fixed parameters in terms of what it can provide us with. In that scenario, an ever-increasing human population will eventually find itself having to divide those various pies into smaller and smaller pieces in order to survive. Food, water, land, fuel, raw materials, etc - the more these have to be divided up, the less each person gets. That should be obvious. I mean it's the same concept which leads to societies progressing from generally living in houses with private green space to generally living in high density apartment blocks - there stops being enough land for the former option to remain possible, and so the latter option is the only way forward.

Apply the same logic to resources such as food, water, electricity etc - which at the moment are not things we're capable of simply multiplying the way we're capable of multiplying our own population, without seriously f*cking up the environment in the process - and it becomes obvious why, over time, a higher human population must result in a reduced per capita quality of life.

Your logic only applies in a scenario where all countries are becoming overpopulated equally, and all resources are divided equally among all populations, and every country has the same standard of living. We know that is not the case in reality - we know that some populations have more resources than others, for example in the West we have a much higher standard of living than populations in sub-Saharan Africa where the population reproduces like rabbits and resources are scarce.

In reality, I don’t imagine those populations will listen to being told they have to reduce their numbers because they’re a disease on the planet. They reproduce in greater numbers in spite of the fact that they have less resources for exactly the same reasons as people living in poverty do in the West - to increase the chances that the next generation will lift them out of poverty by creating wealth and conquering their environment.

I don’t even have to use countries in Africa as examples of an urban/rural divided society when here in Ireland we have an obvious urban/rural divide with one third of the population living in the capital city where there are the most resources, and the most opportunities, unevenly divided and distributed of course, and that pie you mentioned earlier as though we all get an equal per capita slice? That’s not current reality, is it?

The global issue isn’t a population growth or sustainability issue, it’s a distribution of wealth and resources issue, and that’s primarily due to how our wealth and resources are managed - they aren’t distributed equally. So when that poster implies that humans are an infection on the planet, not only are they being ridiculously dramatic, but there’s no nuance in their pronouncement - the reality is that some people are an infection on the planet, and some people are the treatment for that infection. Whichever you’re regarded as is simply a matter of perspective. I doubt for a second the same poster regards themselves as an infection on the planet. If they did, and they want other people to reduce the number of children they have to reduce the population on the planet, then it stands to reason that in order to reduce the population on the planet, they could easily do so by one at least, by starting with themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Margaret Cash

We, as Westerners, are consuming way too much. People think Ireland is underpopulated even though there's no trees or corner of the land that isn't a farm apart from a few national parks. Anyway we consume stuff from all over the planet, so it doesn't even matter where we live, people who are spending money on goods are draining the Earth of resources and contributing to deforestation and plastic in the oceans etc.
    Currently we are like a cancer on the planet and I wouldn't feel too good about having children but that's just me and I think about these things a lot. Most people don't care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The problem is it's the wrong people that are breeding.

In Ireland and other welfare states it's the scroungers that keep popping out kids who like their parents will add nothing and take everything from the country they live in.

And in places like Africa, India and South America it's the poorest people who for some strange reason keep having kids they can't look after.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

In Ireland and other welfare states it's the scroungers that keep popping out kids who like their parents will add nothing and take everything from the country they live in.

And in places like Africa, India and South America it's the poorest people who for some strange reason keep having kids they can't look after.

We need to tax riding.

They consume f*ck all though. I think I read somewhere that one Westerner consumes the same as 300 Bangladeshis or something like that. So really it's us who are the problem, not that lot.
    They have lots of kids because of religion and lack of education and opportunities, travellers here in Ireland do the same for the same reasons I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭blackbox

professore wrote: »
    "Toward the end of life" is 5+ years in many cases. Who is going to pay for them and provide them with care of there are no young people?

Someone who doesn't have children is more likely to have saved enough funds to pay for his or her own care.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

mad muffin wrote: »
    The documentary Idiocy talked about it 10 years ago.

I wanted to watch that but couldn't work the DVD player.
    Demonique wrote: »
    The world population is increasing not decreasing

You are correct: just because the fertility is falling in Ireland/Europe doesn't mean humanity shrinks.

The UN report there a few years back (2015, revised 2017) counted 1.2 billion on the African continent. Projection for 2050: 2.4 billion - A DOUBLING, a doubling ladies and gentlemen. But I hear you say that must be the extreme scenario - no ladies and gentlemen it is in fact the LOW variant scenario. Now I don't know how they calc this stuff - but it is the UN so carries at least some credibility. I don't know what agenda they would have.

Actual report: https://population.un.org/wpp/Graphs/DemographicProfiles/
    Punchier article: https://qz.com/africa/1016790/more-than-half-of-the-worlds-population-growth-will-be-in-africa-by-2050/

Humanity won't shrink at all - but it will change composition - by a lot.

Rapid population increase means trouble invariably. You see it in our own history (18th/19th century overpopulation mixed with monoculture =TNT). You see it in the middle east - Syria between the 60s and Arab Spring quadrupled. Loads of unemp young males. There is only one result and it is not peace.

Yes we will live in interesting times, there is no may about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,361 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Will people get off the world population bandwagon and go back to the issue in the documentary, I found it a bit upsetting I had my children young first one at 20 very little money etc, with the hind site of maturity I realise it was a privilege that is rapidly disappearing for a lot of people, the woman outside the creach nearly crying saying her children are in there for 50 hours a week and it is costing more than their mortgage.

The pressure to have a career, get a masters, find a long term home is forcing people to put off having children.

I wonder if it is an urban thing though because anyone I know married with children in their twenties lives more rural, have traditionally female jobs and a supportive wider family.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,361 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Plus with the economic system we have, we need a young population feeding into the system more people paying in than taking out at the moment its five workers to one retiree but will change to two worked to each retired person and that is a problem for society.

Saying change the system is not an option its does not work like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭buried

Feisar wrote: »
    How do we get back to a resource based system though?

Probably have to wait for a 2 mile wide asteroid to belt into the planet or something like that. It won't change, there is no way back, it has gone too far.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

This is an insanely offensive and disgusting thing to say.

Once you start going down this road of "the wrong people breeding" you are automatically talking about eugenics.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,867 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

We’re not destroying the earth, we’re adapting it to suit ourselves.

Spoken like a true-blue christian fundie climate change denier.

Those melted polar icecaps will be great.

Who needs cities on the coastline, anyway?

Life ain't always empty.

And this is why the endless growth model is totally unsustainable. At some point, some generation is going to have to face up to this, so it may as well be ours. The planet cannot sustain an indefinite expansion of human population.

But what about all those souls in heaven waiting to be born?

Huh? Huh?

It's our duty to breed as much as possible because god said so in a big book.

Life ain't always empty.

Hotblack Desiato shut the **** up. You're not doing any favours for anti-overpopulation by claiming it's all due to christian religion, it has nothing to do with christian religion, you're just acting like a clown.

Spoken like a true-blue christian fundie climate change denier.

Those melted polar icecaps will be great.

Who needs cities on the coastline, anyway?

Eh? The earths climate has been changing for billions of years. We have cities on coastlines because some bright sparks decided to put them there, and now we already have humans working on alternative locations as well as humans coming up with ideas should those alternative locations be unsuitable for human habitation in spite of our current technology.

Cities on coastlines I’ll admit seemed like a good idea at a time when international trade was a sea-faring endeavour, now we can trade internationally from the comfort of our office desks while those people we call engineers and scientists do their thing.

Hotblack Desiato shut the **** up. You're not doing any favours for anti-overpopulation by claiming it's all due to christian religion, it has nothing to do with christian religion, you're just acting like a clown.

I suppose you never heard of "go forth and multiply", then.

Or the catholic church's efforts in preventing the availability of contraception in Africa

So you're ignorant as well as abusive. Nice...

Life ain't always empty.

Eh? The earths climate has been changing for billions of years.

Zzzz.. nobody is saying it hasn't, but if you want to go down this route, how about correlating climactic changes in the past with mass extinction events?

We're taking the stored carbon of millions of years and releasing it back into the atmosphere in only a couple of hundred years. It has to have an effect and it is having an effect. If you want to fool yourself into thinking that these effects will all be benign or all be surmountable then grand, keep on fooling yourself, but this sh*t has consequences.

"adapting the planet to suit ourselves" - such complete and utter delusion.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

Or the catholic church's efforts in preventing the availability of contraception in Africa

So you're ignorant as well as abusive. Nice...

Throughout human history the mantra of any social group has been to go forth and multiply their numbers? That includes people who advocated culling populations to decrease their numbers in the hope of increasing their own number by virtue of the fact there was less of the offending social group in society. That’s hardly a new concept either.

Zzzz.. nobody is saying it hasn't, but if you want to go down this route, how about correlating climactic changes in the past with mass extinction events?

We're taking the stored carbon of millions of years and releasing it back into the atmosphere in only a couple of hundred years. It has to have an effect and it is having an effect. If you want to fool yourself into thinking that these effects will all be benign or all be surmountable then grand, keep on fooling yourself, but this sh*t has consequences.

"adapting the planet to suit ourselves" - such complete and utter delusion.

Of course it has consequences, and seeing as humans have for at least thousands of years been able to overcome and adapt their environment, I see no reason for thinking that we couldn’t possibly do the same as we have always done. I don’t imagine for a minute the environment will be the same in a thousand years as it is now, but I suspect that humans will still be populating the planet in even greater numbers as the developed world becomes even more technologically and economically advanced, and the developing world looks a bit like our world now.

Throughout human history the mantra of any social group has been to go forth and multiply their numbers?

True but now on the planet as a whole we've become far too good at it. Something has to give.

That includes people who advocated culling populations to decrease their numbers in the hope of increasing their own number by virtue of the fact there was less of the offending social group in society. That’s hardly a new concept either.

Yup. plenty of that in the bible too.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mod

Less of the personal abuse please

Keep it civil please

Of course it has consequences, and seeing as humans have for at least thousands of years been able to overcome and adapt their environment, I see no reason for thinking that we couldn’t possibly do the same as we have always done.

Apart from that we're looking at a rapidity and extent of change unprecendented in human history. Be grand :rolleyes:

You know, while we eventually decide how we're going to deal with the problem we've already created, maybe in the meantime we should try to stop adding to the problem as much as we are currently doing?

Palming all this off as "we are adapting the planet to suit ourselves" and "the climate has always been changing" is not only naive but dangerous. It's also the sort of weaselly language favoured by the big corporate AGW denialists.

I don’t imagine for a minute the environment will be the same in a thousand years as it is now, but I suspect that humans will still be populating the planet in even greater numbers as the developed world becomes even more technologically and economically advanced, and the developing world looks a bit like our world now.

Optimistic, to say the least.

Life ain't always empty.

Optimistic, to say the least.

Optimism is what drives us forward as a species, it’s the basis upon which we take risks - sometimes they pay off, sometimes they don’t, but the one thing that is absolutely guaranteed is that a pessimistic outlook on life never achieved anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

In the not to distant future most of the work in western society will be done by machines or AI. This further underlines the issue of what to set the population number at. There will be no necessity to have people to work. It will be a purely social decision. As will having children and families. At the same time we may be able to greatly extend the duration of human life. Through medical advances and through the integration and merging of technology and machinery into the human body.

No, I have never heard that in my entire religious upbringing growing up. Not once was I ever advised that we should have plenty of children, never. I only ever heard that online by people like yourself. You're taking one thing in the entire bible out of context when there was a lack of population and applying it to life today. You're no better than the bible-thumpers and the people who do take one thing out of the bible and use that as their basis for behaviour that way yourself.

Being against contraception has nothing to do with wanting to overpopulate Africa, that's why they preach abstinence instead. Noone has ever in the history of the church (in reasonably modern times) advised Africans to keep having children. So stop trying to intentionally misrepresent them. It's a fantasy you're engaged in.

I'm atheist and I'm totally against overpopulation. I have never had anything but positive experiences from my religious upbringing, I like religious people most of the time and I'm sick of this sort of nonsense. It's nothing but pure hate and lies. And what does it solve, like what good does it do you to talk like this? Maybe some religious people are for overpopulation but most are not. Unless you're talking about a very small fraction of people, it has NEVER been held as a religious value to overpopulate. Very, very far left individuals are often very, very dismissive of overpopulation concerns as well. So just stop with your hate against a particular group of people which has NOTHING to do with this subject. Tired of the religious-bashing hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭gargargar

Optimism is what drives us forward as a species.
    I would categorise ignoring the threat of climate change as blind optimism. We have only had heavy industry for the last 100 and odd years. To go back beyond that is foolish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

The solution to a plummeting birth rate is obviously to encourage people to have more children, by the State introducing incentives for them to do so.

Currently, that’s just not happening at the level it needs to happen, as more and more people are simply more interested in supporting their own lifestyles as opposed to imagining they have any obligation to the State to have more children.

Viktor Orban has a plan to tackle Hungarys birth-rate:
    https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/to-boost-birth-rates-hungarys-prime-minister-offers-zero-taxes-for-families

Advertisement