Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are you a paedophile sympathiser?

Options
  • 08-03-2019 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭

[EDIT: YOU DON'T HAVE TO READ BEYOND THE YOUTUBE LINK TO GET THE POINT. DON'T LET TLDR PHOBIA PUT YOU OFF]

Trigger warning!!

Reading the pasted article, or clicking on the link to the YouTube audio file, might incur feelings of guilt and shame, especially if you feel yourself moved or entertained by the content because the authors of both have since been exposed as child sex abusers.

I have not named either (most unecessarily, I suspect) but the writer of the song performed by Imogen Heap is now dead and his reputation, such as it was, has recently been besmirched by allegations--widely believed--of paedophile behaviour with young boys. He was nevertheless one of the best selling recording artists of all time and although I was never much of a fan of his music, I really do like Ms Heap's version of his biggest hit.

As for the sports journalist: he was once one of Ireland's finest exponents of the genre but is now currently serving time having pleaded guilty to the "Defilement of a minor", namely a young girl who played for a sports team he coached.

The issue I have is what should be one's attitude to the high-quality creative output of people who are subsequently exposed as deviant, perverted or criminal? Several radio stations have announced they will no longer play the music of the deceased pop superstar. The catalogue of writing the sports journalist produced for his main employer, a leading Irish daily newspaper, is similarly no longer available on its website, even to subscribers to its paywalled content.

Is this acceptable? Are we better people for shutting out our ears and minds to content that was once widely and highly praised as being among the finest of its type?

The article, published on the funeral day of the daughter of a leading GAA manager, is touching in its appreciation of the family relationship between father and daughter. Bear in mind that as it was written, the author probably knew that he was about to be exposed as a criminal by his own daughter who had discovered evidence of his wrong doing (phone texts) and informed her mother and consequently the police.

Of course you may feel unable to consume either piece of content. The baying of the mob demanding commonality of outrage set at the lowest common denominator is hard to resist. What Cork Hurling fan would dare today to wave the Confederate flag that was once popular because of its "rebel" association for fear of being condemned as a racist apologists for white supremacy marchers in Alabama?

I am not an apologist for paedophilia or for grooming young teenagers 30 years my junior. Nor is it any part of my case that said journalist should be excused punishment. (The singer/song writer is beyond retribution) He transgressed, he was caught, convicted and is doing the time. Quite right.

But just as being a talented person does not absolve people of crimes, nor do those crimes devalue the quality of their work. Do they?

What do you think?

Let's hope Mickey can return to his gift
    Irish Times, Monday, January 17, 2011

Source

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Not reading that thesis.

Someone please summarise.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Big Words

<quoting the entire thing>
    Interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Not reading that thesis.

Twitter generation?

Do great songs/poems/paintings/prose works become worthless drivel that must be avoided and shunned once their creators are found to be criminals? Discuss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

TLDR

• Registered Users Posts: 25,400 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

OP far exceeds required attention span of AH posters 2/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Not reading that thesis.

Just say no.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

There's a special place in hell for yer wan that quoted the whole o.p.

Well, you only have to read as far as the YOUTUBE link to get the point.

The clip and the article are just collateral. And I would have much preferred to provide a link to the article than repost it in its entirety, but like I said in the OP, like all of the rest of the disgraced writer's oeuvre, it's not available online any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Twitter generation?

Do great songs/poems/paintings/prose works become worthless drivel that must be avoided and shunned once their creators are found to be criminals? Discuss.

If we were serious about shunning the work of artists who became criminals why havent we banned Roman Polanski or why does he seem to get a free pass from the Hollywood elite.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

If we were serious about shunning the work of artists who became criminals why havent we banned Roman Polanski

Should we? That's the question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Not a ****ing hope am I reading all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Twitter generation?

Im in favour of separating the art from the artist, although I can understand why some people can't. I was a big Lostprophets fan in my youth but they never make it onto the playlist if I'm having a reminisce these days because I simply can't listen to the singer's voice without thinking about the disgusting **** he got up to. Thats a very extreme example though. If at all possible I try to avoid monetarily supporting anyone I find reprehensible, so I'd rather stream some sort of unofficial lyric video on youtube rather than stream on spotify for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭buried

Turn down them angelus bells I can't hear myself drink

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Not a ****ing hope am I reading all that.

Never mind the "Snowflake Generation"; Goldfish generation is a more appropriate name. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

Listening to the words of that song seems kinda creepy, after all the wacko drama etc

Cold hands, night creatures crawling, yeuch...

Hear the door slam and realise there's no where else left to run....

Reminds me of an abusive relationship or something...

Alcoholic parent coming home and lashing out....

Take away the zombies etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

lmao :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Can someone shorten it into like three sentences, I haven't the attention span to read all that

EPAndlee wrote: »
    Can someone shorten it into like three sentences, I haven't the attention span to read all that

I'd sooner have a snicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Cringe.

I'd sooner have a snicker.

PFFT! Like you could get a snicker :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 iwilldare

Twitter generation?

Only Smooth Criminals.

PFFT! Like you could get a snicker :)

I snickered at this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

EPAndlee wrote: »
    Do you wanna be in my gang, my gang, my gang

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Fusitive wrote: »
    does it make us a sympatiser if we still like those things.

No. That's some serious straw clutching to whoever came up with that idea.

Big Words wrote: »
    Interesting

WTF is wrong with you that you would quote the whole first post? That sh1t should be a bannable offence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Infonovice

If you just wrote some key points it might be easier to get a discussion going.

It really was waaaaay long;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod: OP, don't paste entire articles without citing the source. Leave it at 3 paragraphs and a link please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

I like waving the Confederate flag while listening to MJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I’d be surprised if anyone bar the OP actually read the full post and watched the videos.

• Advertisement

Mod: OP, don't paste entire articles without citing the source. Leave it at 3 paragraphs and a link please.

Point taken.

I genuinely thought the article wasn't available online so I pasted it in its entirety. It is hard to search articles by that author because his name doesn't come up as an option on which to search articles on the Times website.

So his content has not been removed but they just make it difficult to find it. Presumably because of his misdemeanours.

Seems a bit of a fig leaf, to be honest.

Good job on tidying up the OP, though :)

Advertisement