Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is the Dublin accent dying?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

Calltocall wrote: »
    So you’re a scumbag if you have an authentic accent which originates from where you live, I’d rather have the authenticity of that than this half British/American fake accent which was basically made up to make one sound supposedly more intelligent and used to hide your origins for fear of people looking down on you, so insincere and ridiculous, be real, always the best policy.

And this doesn’t just apply to Dublin, I travel quite a bit around the country and have friends in Cork, Galway, one thing I love about Ireland is the variety of accents we have for such a small country, it makes us authentic, I was in Galway recently and spoke with a gentleman who to me had a strong D4 accent when I asked where do you hail from and live, it was Spiddal I was puzzled, it’s not the first time I’ve come across that, I don’t know I see the whole British /American tv accent becoming more prevalent and imo it erodes ones authenticity, again be yourself and proud of where you come from whatever county that may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Succubus_ wrote: »
    I'm from Cork city and have heard plenty of Cork city people say I seen and I done and them shoes. I've also heard people say crips, hostible (hospital) and chimley (chimney). It seems to depend on what area you're from in the city.

‘I seen’ and ‘I done’ seems to be very common up here in Tipp as well. Drives me mad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Hilarious stuff, Wokey.

Lads getting into a huff just because people point out that the classic Dublin accent sounds like a hyena being buggered by a donkey. Christy Dingam, Ronnie Drew, Auld Mr. Brennan, Joe Duffy, Bill Cullen. You'd just wish their parents had cared about them enough to send them to speech and elocution lessons.

I would have taken you for a Dub.

Hilarious stuff, Wokey.

Lads getting into a huff just because people point out that the classic Dublin accent sounds like a hyena being buggered by a donkey. Christy Dingam, Ronnie Drew, Auld Mr. Brennan, Joe Duffy, Bill Cullen. You'd just wish their parents had cared about them enough to send them to speech and elocution lessons.

Doubling down on your satire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Calltocall wrote: »
    I was in Galway recently and spoke with a gentleman who to me had a strong D4 accent when I asked where do you hail from and live, it was Spiddal I was puzzled, it’s not the first time I’ve come across that,

Spiddal

Not all that surprising ;)

Possibly the most expensive property for a town in the entire west of Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

There is no generic Dublin accent and never was . It varies from Skerries to Howth to Finglas to Firhouse and always did

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Succubus_ wrote: »
    I've also heard people say crips, hostible (hospital) and chimley (chimney). It seems to depend on what area you're from in the city.

Usually it's idiots.

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's individual sounds and the problem of combining them i.e. s-p-s. No big deal for an adult or older children but a challenge for smaller kids until they are exposed to phonics and how to form sounds. "Done" and "seen" are a common fossilized form in many parts of the English-speaking world, not just inner-city Dublin.

Yes. But crips is also part of the adult Dublin accent. I don’t think it’s fossilised either - I seen and I done are common and growing if anything.

If kids are exposed to phonics it’s not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭turbbo

turty tree and a turd = 33 and a 1/3

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Omackeral wrote: »
    Usually it's idiots.

My nan used to say chimly and she was far from an idiot . Born and raised in Portobello and a strong hard working lady . Never judge too quickly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

turbbo wrote: »
    turty tree and a turd = 33 and a 1/3

Or the dirty gee if referring to the bus route... ;)

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    My nan used to say chimly and she was far from an idiot . Born and raised in Portobello and a strong hard working lady . Never judge too quickly

That's why I said usually. Your nan is sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Hilarious stuff, Wokey.

Honestly they revel in it. I don't think they're genetically inferior but I do believe the average Dublin person just prefers reading celebrity gossip or "veddy sad" human interest stories over anything more intellectually stimulating such as, say, a broadsheet newspaper or novels for adults.

It's a culture that promotes "feelings" over rationalism, with the few bright sparks among them resorting to diversionary tactics such as comparing valid criticisms of Dublin to racial abuse. :rolleyes: To each their own but it wouldn't be for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yes. But crips is also part of the adult Dublin accent. I don’t think it’s fossilised either - I seen and I done are common and growing if anything.

If kids are exposed to phonics it’s not working.

The child is too young for phonics yet. Fossilization is where nobody has corrected a grammar form and it just sticks as the way to say something. Kids are mimics and this stuff comes from adults. I must admit I don't know any adult who says "crips"!:)

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Honestly they revel in it. I don't think they're genetically inferior but I do believe the average Dublin person just prefers reading celebrity gossip or "veddy sad" human interest stories over anything more intellectually stimulating such as, say, a broadsheet newspaper or novels for adults.

To each their own but it wouldn't be for me.

Watch you don't drop your monocle into your caviar there old chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭turbbo

the dublin accent is class...and I'm a bogger...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X453ABUQ2rM

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

The more middle class or higher the area the weaker the accent anyway. I have friends from Sutton, Raheny, Killester and their accents are completely different to say people from say Ballymun or Cabra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

Yes southsiders have started turning american

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

I'm far from posh, I am just suggesting that people read magazines that are stuffed with articles rather than crosswords, word searches, and pictures of celebrity cellulite.

It's a culture that promotes "feelings" over rationalism, with the few bright sparks among them resorting to diversionary tactics such as comparing valid criticisms of Dublin to racial abuse. :rolleyes: To each their own but it wouldn't be for me.

I think you’re getting your attacks in early out of a feeling of understandable rural inferiority. Not just in Ireland but everywhere the smartest and most ambitious people migrate to the cities, including country people. And not just Dublin, but Cork etc. That’s why your son left.

That’s where the best jobs are, the best universities are, the intellectual centres are.

Now it may be that people who live in Godforsaken bergs are all reading the best novels and broadsheets (produced where by the way?), but in general I just see guys scratching their arse and spitting on the ground whenever I have the misfortune to drive past. Theres a excitement of the GAA on Sunday I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

is_that_so wrote: »
    The child is too young for phonics yet. Fossilization is where nobody has corrected a grammar form and it just sticks as the way to say something. Kids are mimics and this stuff comes from adults. I must admit I don't know any adult who says "crips"!:)

Neither do I. "crips" instead of "crisps" is not accent, it's a speech impediment. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

I'm lucky enough not to have to spend a lot of time in Dublin. The accents and general maudlin attitude down in the capital is totally at odds with my own beliefs. For example I have never watched X Factor or ordered a takeaway meal, nor have I cried at any melodramas starring Ryan Gosling.

There is an element of anti-intellectualism and propensity for sentimentality among the populace of Dublin that I think the rather more stoic citizenry of "de country" are fortunate for not sharing and I dread any day I have to go down to the capital.

My son is in college down there though and he loves it. So who knows.

Aongus Von Bismarck, is that you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

When I was in South Africa people thought I sounded American..and I come from bogs of west Roscommon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

The real decent Dub accent is long dead and i miss them. Just scaldy waster accent now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

You didn't mention their love of bottom-of-the-barrel humour. It's no surprise that Brendan O'Carroll, Brendan Grace, June Rodgers, Sil Fox are all from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I'd hate him to fall off his Ivory Tower too.

I'm far from posh, I am just suggesting that people read magazines that are stuffed with articles rather than crosswords, word searches, and pictures of celebrity cellulite.

Local newspapers then? Because the broadsheet stuff is produced in cities. Apparently cities produce broadsheets to be read by country people, but when I go down the country it’s arse scratchers reading the obituaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Hope so. The worst part of living in Dublin is having to hear that accent. Sounds like someone is after interfering with them from behind.

Jimmy Carr nailed it with the outside view I hadn't considered -

- those speaking with a north Dublin accent sound just like deaf people.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Everybody in Ireland does that, outside of the north.

474310.jpg

• Advertisement

You should record yourself some day.

Advertisement