Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Direct provision hotel on fire again

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Sonic Youth

bubblypop wrote: »
    She!
    & no I'm not his pal!

Why are so many women so blindly accepting of immigration? Muh feels, muh racism, muh 45 year old Syrian child refugee! Ye're the ones that pay the price! Ask the women in Cologne how they got on when Merkel's migrants started getting randy on New Years Eve.

Seems men are a lot more hard headed on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

jive wrote: »
    Oh, sure fúck them so.
    Well I didn't say that at all of course, but it's a dubious argument. Along the lines of "We had the magdalene laundries, we can't talk about abuses of women in other countries".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Many of our ancestors emigrated and were mostly welcomed with open arms.

Yet these fools are burning down accommodation meant for refugees seeking a better life.

The irony is staggering.

The Anglo saxon English were occupying our country so we encroached on their country and their American territories. The movie the gangs of New York shows how the Irish were not welcomed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

Gays aren't welcome here either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

These people should be entitled to claim asylum

In the countries that destabilised them/colonised/bombed them out in the first place.

Send them stateside or across the Irish Sea to the UK. The majority of people in this country opposed/condemned the invasion of these countries.

Why should I and other tax payers be on the hook for this?

• Advertisement

Why are so many women so blindly accepting of immigration? Muh feels, muh racism, muh 45 year old Syrian child refugee! Ye're the ones that pay the price! Ask the women in Cologne how they got on when Merkel's migrants started getting randy on New Years Eve.

Seems men are a lot more hard headed on this.

Blindly accepting? Do you want to post some proof of that?
    You neither know me, or anything about me.
    & what exactly are you trying to say when you say ' ask the women in cologne? '

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Dia1988 wrote: »
    Gays aren't welcome here either

yes they are

our entertainment industry badly needs the new talent

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

The Anglo saxon English were occupying our country so we encroached on their country and their American territories. The movie the gangs of New York shows how the Irish were not welcomed.

Gangs of NY is as accurate as braveheart lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

A giant Lego one would be cool.

be ideal for that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Sonic Youth

bubblypop wrote: »
    Blindly accepting? Do you want to post some proof of that?
    You neither know me, or anything about me.
    & what exactly are you trying to say when you say ' ask the women in cologne? '

Open you hearts and you nation's borders and get mass sexual assault in return. No thanks.

• Advertisement

mynamejeff wrote: »
    yes they are

our entertainment industry badly needs the new talent
    Are you one of them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Dia1988 wrote: »
    Are you one of them?

hardly relevant but no i can neither sing nor dance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

This really bugs me, I work hard, pay my taxes, get F all from the state in return, have to pay for everything - €60 to see the GP, pay for outpatients department, pay over the odds tax and insurance on the car, pay property tax, etc etc. These people come over here and get everything handed to them on a plate. As a comparison, I've an uncle went to London at 17 years of age back in the 70s, he was one of 10 kids here in rural Limerick, they hadn't a pot to pi** in, he worked on building sites in London and eventually at the age of 21 he'd saved enough money to put himself through university, today he's a lecturer in an eminent university in England. My point is no one gave him a free bed, medical care, food, heat, etc, he worked damn hard for everything and made his own way.

GoneHome wrote: »
    This really bugs me, I work hard, pay my taxes, get F all from the state in return, have to pay for everything - €60 to see the GP, pay for outpatients department, pay over the odds tax and insurance on the car, pay property tax, etc etc. These people come over here and get everything handed to them on a plate. As a comparison, I've an uncle went to London at 17 years of age back in the 70s, he was one of 10 kids here in rural Limerick, they hadn't a pot to pi** in, he worked on building sites in London and eventually at the age of 21 he'd saved enough money to put himself through university, today he's a lecturer in an eminent university in England. My point is no one gave him a free bed, medical care, food, heat, etc, he worked damn hard for everything and made his own way.

Check out MaryBrosnan

She's a benefits bum

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I'm not condoning these arseholes committing arson but the fact that some people from the same island as me went other places has absolutely no bearing on what I should and shouldn't accept on this island now. It happens that I think we should give Syrians a dig out but not because of some historic tit for tat.

No? Why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

No? Why not?
    Because why should the distant past involving many people long dead, long long before anyone here was even born, have a bearing on our views today? As Wibbs pointed out, it's not even the same thing - immigrants were needed in Britain, the US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand to build/rebuild them. The jobs needed to be filled. And none of the asylum seekers are coming from those countries if people are talking in terms of "payback". Not that the Irish were made to feel welcome all the time - far from it.

Also with regard to payback, Ireland didn't colonise any of the countries from which asylum seekers are coming.

Our country's past doesn't make us "owe" anything. It's really not ironic at all.

Now I don't disagree with giving people coming from appalling situations asylum, but the country has to have the provisions in place to support them and I don't think the rural west has. I think the way of going about it is flawed. What next for them? Will there be a culture clash in a tiny rural town or village? Where will they work? The region is an economic blackspot. How much resources can there be for them to learn English? It would make far more sense for such a scheme to be implemented in Dublin or Cork which are more multi-ethnic and have more jobs available.

But our history isn't of any relevance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Absolutely Gimme, you put it better than I ever could, basically what are these people going to give back, it's all take take take and nothing back

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I'm pretty sure I read a few weeks ago that they were not going to use the hotel in Roosky after all.

It would seem strange for it to be targeted now in that case?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

No? Why not?

The onus is on you guys to explain why we should share the burden of responsibility for people leaving this country.

If you ancestor raped someone in the past, does that mean you're no longer allowed to complain about someone raping you? How would you like it if someone raped you and someone else said, "Ah, well, sure your grandfather raped someone in 1905, so it's ironic for you to complain about rape."

See, it would make any sense, nor is it fair you should have to accept being raped because of your grandfathers actions. The same way I shouldn't have to tolerate immigration because of my ancestors leaving the country, particularly during a time when America was inviting people over to colonise the land they stole from Native Indians and conquered from Mexicans.

I will complain about immigration as much as I please and it isn't ironic for me to do so because I'm not an immigrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Robocop Corcoran

Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

I'm sure if you wanted to get a spot in a direct provision centre it could be arranged.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

utmbuilder wrote: »
    SYRIANS dodged a bullet , imagen the poor ****ers being sent there. Highest scuicide rate in Ireland.

Hopefully they will be placed in an area with more resources and brighter people

They may well BE far more resourceful and brighter than the locals and bring in more resources. |All they are seeking is peace.

Manners. Respect for the locals born and bred there. To alert local doctors. To alert local dentists. To alert local shop keepers. Just basic manners pal.

Clearly they all already know? Few secrets in a small town. As for basic manners? Sure arson is very basic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

I thought everyone from Ireland got free treatment by the NHS? Friend of mine got a heavily subsidised apartment in Fulham as he was deemed a local after living there for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Because why should the distant past involving many people long dead, long long before anyone here was even born, have a bearing on our views today? As Wibbs pointed out, it's not even the same thing - immigrants were needed in Britain, the US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand to build/rebuild them. The jobs needed to be filled. And none of the asylum seekers are coming from those countries if people are talking in terms of "payback". Not that the Irish were made to feel welcome all the time - far from it.

Also with regard to payback, Ireland didn't colonise any of the countries from which asylum seekers are coming.

Our country's past doesn't make us "owe" anything. It's really not ironic at all.

Now I don't disagree with giving people coming from appalling situations asylum, but the country has to have the provisions in place to support them and I don't think the rural west has. I think the way of going about it is flawed. What next for them? Will there be a culture clash in a tiny rural town or village? Where will they work? The region is an economic blackspot. How much resources can there be for them to learn English? It would make far more sense for such a scheme to be implemented in Dublin or Cork which are more multi-ethnic and have more jobs available.

But our history isn't of any relevance.

16%of Irish born people live abroad now,as in today not in the 1800s, 1920s or whenever you think we stopped emigrating

Not sure what your complaint is? You earn and buy; many do not have that ability at present. These refugees have lost everything. with help they may well prove as hardworking and resourceful as you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

No different to Josepha Madigan TD and others objecting to travellers living beside them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

The immigration debate soldiers on through the years whilst immigrants continue to flood Europe with no adequete background checks or real plan.

A disaster of modern times. The US has a lot to answer for from European citizens for the widespread instability it has caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Well we are going to need a lot more direct Provision centers in the future as Coveney says here, he is looking for a lot more Africans coming in.

"I happen to be somebody who is quite liberal on immigration. I believe that Ireland has been enhanced significantly by the fact that so many people who were not born in Ireland are now part of our society and economy, but of course we need to also ensure that we can manage the numbers that are being welcomed and that they can integrate appropriately.

We estimate over the next 20 years that the population of Ireland will certainly grow by an extra million people. Linked to that estimate is that half of that number won't have been born in Ireland. I think that will be a really good thing for Irish society but we do need to manage it carefully so we don't allow the politics of migration to play a big part in Irish politics because I think it pulls us down a dangerous direction."

-Minister Simon, Coveney on November the 27th, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXrm1mZSfI8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Oh look, another thread for the racist to vent. How quaint.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement