Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Strokestown **Mod Note in Post #4461**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

pablo128 wrote: »
    If you could provide some evidence that those lads were loyalists that would be great.
    P_1 wrote: »
    he was somewhat round and had the sort of moustache you'd associate with a traditional DUP voter

There you have it in black and white.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭enricoh

Sean.3516 wrote: »
    If it is shown that these specific men have committed murder or some serious violent crime or that they were not licensed security then I’ll say they shouldn’t have been there. I don’t think you would care if they were former IRA or any other group of scumbags that agree with you politically

Uvf men n serious violent crime - say it aint so sean. Yeah i can just imagine former ira men evicting elderly farmers in roscommon.
    What age did u say u were again?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bb12

sounds like there's a lot of bankers or people with pro-bank agendas on here for some reason.

the banks do not always follow the rules or recommendations when dealing with problem mortgages. there are countless stories in the media and on social media of people desperate to engage with banks to restructure only to be stone walled. sure just look at the tracker mortgage scandal...people actually lost their homes as a direct result of the banks sharp actions and nobody ever was really held accountable for this malpractice.

so i find it strange on this thread when some people seem to be advocating that banks are the good guys when all evidence supports that they themselves have behaved reprehensibly over the last 10 years.

anyhow here's an example of a farmer that got into difficulty with a farm loan and is still doing his best to save his farm but the banks and vulture funds refuse to engage with him
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/landowner-in-race-against-time-to-prevent-vulture-fund-selling-his-farm/

pablo128 wrote: »
    Anyone else got any proof these lads were loyalists?
    Fann Linn wrote: »
    Any proof they weren't?

Checkmate.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Sean.3516

Where can I find the footage of the violent eviction?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

road_high wrote: »
    Solidatory me hole. We already pay the highest interest rates in Europe thanks to the pussy footed manner evictions and non repayment of loans is handled here. Hows that for solidatory? So the rest of us already pay for these plonkers to sit in properties they can't afford/won't pay for.
    The emotional guilt tripping is always rolled out in these instances of course but the truth is likely a lot different. (Flashbacks to famine evictions and so).
    You're actually a perfect example of the do gooder culture pervading irish culture and it's always the middle that end up paying for it.

You're taxes are paying for the hotel accommodation of well over 3000 homeless people many of which are children at the moment.

Evictions aren't saving you jack****.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭koheim

What other options did KBC have? This is a very good question as it is important for any bank to maintain a satisfactory repayment standard.

They can scare people, they can intimidate people, this time they actually used violence. They can negotiate, they can rearrange and restructure, they have so many options to them. Leaving people on the side of the road should not be one of them...

People should pay their mortgage or loans, there must be consequences for not engaging with Banks, but we are not in the dark ages, it is 2018

I don't think that this whole scenario is very difficult to figure out...

i) the owners of the farm borrowed from the Bank and did not pay them back as per the contract
    ii) the Bank brought the borrowers to court and got an order for possession
    iii) the Sheriff obtained possession and several people had to be forcibly removed
    iv) Security guards were put in place to protect the property
    v) a bunch of people decided to retake the property despite the fact that it was subject to a court order.

It's simply a criminal act to do what the 70 strong mob did and the Gardai will have to arrest people for it. They should be charged with assault and locked up.

Nothing about this scenario has anything to do with Bank bailouts as KBC did not get bailed out by this State. It does not matter that the security guys were from the North. With the lunatic fringe heavily involved in anti eviction / anti bank rhetoric, no Irish security firm will do this work so there's no choice but to get guys in from elsewhere.

In the absence of the facts of this case, this post is worth repeating.

The 3 are referred to as being elderly, having lived in the house since it was built in the ‘50s.
    A number of questions come to mind.
    When did they borrow the money
    How much was borrowed
    How much was paid back and did they work with the bank or just ignore them.

A court order is usually a last resort.

however, when in general (forget about this particular bank) banks have not been seen to have been punished where they have been wreckless, then it's not surprising people will decide what is good for the goose is good for the gander.

Change the word banks to Travellers and you'd be crying your eyes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,056 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

the_syco wrote: »
    They were to evict people from a house. To evict, you have to physically move them. How would asking nicely achieve this? The bank already got the courts to tell them to leave, but they didn't.

There are very few repossessions in Ireland.

Years and years pass between first going into arrears and any repossession.

Borrowers would have had several chances to engage.

Repossessions are the last resort.

There is always more to these stories than is publicly available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

enricoh wrote: »
    Uvf men n serious violent crime - say it aint so sean. Yeah i can just imagine former ira men evicting elderly farmers in roscommon.

I think his birthday is in his username...

3/5/16

Two and a half, sounds about right.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭blueythebear

In my (limited) experience I've found that a Debtors Order, and subsequent jailing, can be highly effective in focussing the mind and getting people to confront the issues at hand.

A distress order is not limited to breach of bail conditions and can be used to empower the Sheriff to seize goods 'to the value of.....'
    Obviously this would usually only be effective in the case of smaller loans etc.

The installment order process is ineffective, the reason being that if the person subject of the order cannot pay, the court can do nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

koheim wrote: »
    What other options did KBC have? This is a very good question as it is important for any bank to maintain a satisfactory repayment standard.

They can scare people, they can intimidate people, this time they actually used violence. They can negotiate, they can rearrange and restructure, they have so many options to them. Leaving people on the side of the road should not be one of them...

People should pay their mortgage or loans, there must be consequences for not engaging with Banks, but we are not in the dark ages, it is 2018

So what you're saying is the line that is repeated in ads and is on every mortgage contract about your home being at risk if you don't pay , should just be ignored ( only by the borrower of course).

Go apply for ho on a car and ask for the section about them taking the car if you don't pay to be removed and see how your application goes....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

If people ****ed off out of property they haven't paid for of their own accord when the bank asked them, nevermind gathering up local vigilante scumbags, then nothing would be required.

yeah. yeah. we live in a world where what should happen, doesn't always do so. therefore stating the obvious is pointless given the discussion is around what should be done where something is required such as this case.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,973 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Social media and the news rarely tell you the full story.

We only hear the one they want us to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭mulbot

koheim wrote: »

So therefore it should not be necessary to carry out VIOLENT enforced evictions

enricoh wrote: »

I’m talking about THESE SPECIFIC MEN. This isn’t the trial of the UVF. Are you saying no former IRA men work in private security.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Wait. What? Is this an Irish forum? Are you Irish? How on earth can you defend this, your a disgrace.

Check his moustache.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Sean.3516 wrote: »
    I’m talking about THESE SPECIFIC MEN. This isn’t the trial of the UVF. Are you saying no former IRA men work in private security.

We'll know one way or another pretty soon. Their names and locations are being flung about on twitter and fb at the moment.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Social media and the news rarely tell you the full story.

We only hear the one they want us to hear.

Watch the eviction clip-Assaulting evictees tells you enough

• Advertisement

yeah. yeah. we live in a world where what should happen, doesn't always do so. therefore stating the obvious is pointless given the discussion is around what should be done where something is required such as this case.

And you live in a fantasy land. But at least you admit the people were in the wrong and should be chucked out.

You really arnt worth bothering with. If I hadn't replied before I realised who I was replying to I'd have ditched it.

wouldn't it be a shame if our police force had to do some actual work outside fabricating speeding tickets and ruining whistleblowers' lives.

They do plenty of good work. Work that takes balls. Not everyone has the bottle to do the job. Easy to talk them down from behind a keyboard. Let me ask, do you face the threat of being slashed across the face every time you go to work? Do you have your family threatened?

mulbot wrote: »
    Watch the eviction clip-Assaulting evictees tells you enough

Does the clip show the people leaving the property promptly when the bank sent them notice and them getting jumped on out of the blue for no reason and assaulted? If not then what poi t is it trying to prove?

The amount of people (scum) on social media promoting and encouraging this is disgusting. What is so hard to understand that if you don't pay your mortgage or loan this is what happens. Being evicted does not condone attempted murder. Scumbags

But it's the current year! Are you even Irish!?

Does the clip show the people,e leaving the property promptly when the bank sent them notice and them getting jumped on out of the blue for no reason and assaulted? If not then what poi t is it trying to prove?

It clearly shows "security personnel" outnumbering and assaulting members of the public,without any identification,under the direct sight of our Gardai- are you condoning this?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Omackeral wrote: »
    Check his moustache.
    His moustache says that he's an ISIS Taliban rocking a AK-47 with an RPG in his man-bag... :pac:
    Fann Linn wrote: »
    We'll know one way or another pretty soon. Their names and locations are being flung about on twitter and fb at the moment.
    If the anti-eviction group go up to harass them, they'll be coming back in body bags, if at all.

Does the clip show the people leaving the property promptly when the bank sent them notice and them getting jumped on out of the blue for no reason and assaulted? If not then what poi t is it trying to prove?

Where can I find this clip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Jesus somebody get me a piece of chalk...

I'm aware that the guards cant be used as security firms, however they can be used if someone is refusing to leave the house as instructed. Which is much better than getting a few jumped up scumbags to beat the evictees up. Now is that much clearer? Shall i draw you a picture to illustrate?

Also, wouldn't it be a shame if our police force had to do some actual work outside fabricating speeding tickets and ruining whistleblowers' lives.
    They also fabricated over a million breathalyser tests...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

Omackeral wrote: »
    They do plenty of good work. Work that takes balls. Not everyone has the bottle to do the job. Easy to talk them down from behind a keyboard. Let me ask, do you face the threat of being slashed across the face every time you go to work? Do you have your family threatened?

They as an organisation an absolute disgrace.

The future doesn't look to great either. I know 6 lads that's after getting accepted by the Guards and they are the nothing only little ****s, pure cowboys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

the_syco wrote: »
    They were to evict people from a house. To evict, you have to physically move them. How would asking nicely achieve this? The bank already got the courts to tell them to leave, but they didn't.

Doesn't matter. Private individuals still can't break the law of the land in enforcing a Court Order.

I have a feeling that this case could turn out to be very interesting in legal terms and could potentially lead to changes in the laws regarding evictions. (With regard to use of security firms / gardai etc., )

BTW, I have no problem with evictions per se. It boils down to how they are conducted and the circumstances leading up to them. People that take the piss with their loans are fair game. There's a difference though between a fella that buys a big house, a big car and goes on holidays twice a year when he obviously can't afford it and, on the surface, a farming family that got out of their depth on a loan. I'd love to know the details in this case but regardless of that the handling of the whole thing has been shocking.

Advertisement