Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭acequion

Nope, dont get it at all. You're leaving a place of 13degrees and traveling to a place 13degrees. I won't bother you anymore .

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

acequion wrote: »
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:

To be fair he has a point. 13 degrees is 13 degrees. The way you're talking about humidity, etc. it's like you're going to Lagos, not London. I, too, don't get it.

To be fair he has a point. 13 degrees is 13 degrees. The way you're talking about humidity, etc. it's like you're going to Lagos, not London. I, too, don't get it.

Fine if you don't get it!! I've made my point and I'm so sorry I even bothered to ask here. Rudeness is the order of the day with a lot of posters on boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Fine if you don't get it!! I've made my point and I'm so sorry I even bothered to ask here. Rudeness is the order of the day with a lot of posters on boards.ie
    I get it, you need 2 suitcases for London just to be safe. :)

Rudeness has nothing to do with it. Your point about 13 degrees and the humidity that goes with it is totally bizarre, to be honest. Don't be surprised when people comment on it. There's no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes. If you "like your fashion" too much to dress appropriately for the weather (which is fairly seasonable (+/- a degree or two) then it's not the weather that's the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

We need a rapid cool down:cool:;)

Rudeness has nothing to do with it. Your point about 13 degrees and the humidity that goes with it is totally bizarre, to be honest. Don't be surprised when people comment on it. There's no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes. If you "like your fashion" too much to dress appropriately for the weather (which is fairly seasonable (+/- a degree or two) then it's not the weather that's the problem.

Rudeness has everything to do with it. Some people just love to be assholes here on boards.ie just to be smart and to somehow point score with people who post to ask genuine questions. Are you one of them?

If you know about weather you will know about humidity. You will know that humidity hugely affects the real feel of a temperature. If you've ever been to Kerry you will know that because it's the rainiest county in Ireland it's almost always very humid here. Which makes double digit figures in winter uncomfortable unless you fancy going around in a tshirt which personally, I don't. Humidity is perceivable winter and summer. In fact I don't mind Kerry's humidity in summer when temps are still in the teens because it makes the real feel warmer.

Now you do have a point about clothes. But my point is that I like a winter where I can feel comfortable in winter clothes, where I don't have to be constantly second guessing what I might wear. If you don't or won't get that, fine, but stop making an issue like I've said something certifiable. We just see things differently.

And I don't agree that 13 degrees is seasonal for February. 13 degrees is mild and everybody is agreeing here that this winter is exceptionally mild. I just thought and hoped it would be cooler in England and I'm disappointed to see that's it's not.

Rudeness has everything to do with it. Some people just love to be assholes here on boards.ie just to be smart and to somehow point score with people who post to ask genuine questions. Are you one of them?

If you know about weather you will know about humidity. You will know that humidity hugely affects the real feel of a temperature. If you've ever been to Kerry you will know that because it's the rainiest county in Ireland it's almost always very humid here. Which makes double digit figures in winter uncomfortable unless you fancy going around in a tshirt which personally, I don't. Humidity is perceivable winter and summer. In fact I don't mind Kerry's humidity in summer when temps are still in the teens because it makes the real feel warmer.

Now you do have a point about clothes. But my point is that I like a winter where I can feel comfortable in winter clothes, where I don't have to be constantly second guessing what I might wear. If you don't or won't get that, fine, but stop making an issue like I've said something certifiable. We just see things differently.

And I don't agree that 13 degrees is seasonal for February. 13 degrees is mild and everybody is agreeing here that this winter is exceptionally mild. I just thought and hoped it would be cooler in England and I'm disappointed to see that's it's not.

I'm not going to get into an argument about it with you but you seem to misunderstand humidity. Humidity does affect real feel but only when you start talking about actual high dewpoints. A temperature of 13 degrees with 100% r.h. only means a dewpoint of 13 degrees, which is not oppressive. In reality the dewpoints at this time of the year are several degrees lower than that. It's only when dewpoint gets into the high teens or 20 that you start to feel its effects.

And the recent max temperature at Valentia has only got to about two degrees above the LTA of 10 °C. Still in the 90th percentile. If it was hitting 18 degrees then you might have a point, but it hasn't even been hitting 12.0

VALENTIA_OBSERVATORY_TEMP.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Have mild Februarys not been fairly common in recent years? Plenty of years I can remember where Spring was well underway by the end of the month, I'd say more often than not the second half of the month feels Spring-like with noticeably longer days and plant life starting to sprout

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

jENbJOv.gif

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

Nearly mid month so I'll look at the models up to Saturday evening and if nothing colder is looking on the cards by then I'm ready for Spring. Has been another disappointing winter.

I'm not going to get into an argument about it with you but you seem to misunderstand humidity. Humidity does affect real feel but only when you start talking about actual high dewpoints. A temperature of 13 degrees with 100% r.h. only means a dewpoint of 13 degrees, which is not oppressive. In reality the dewpoints at this time of the year are several degrees lower than that. It's only when dewpoint gets into the high teens or 20 that you start to feel its effects.

And the recent max temperature at Valentia has only got to about two degrees above the LTA of 10 °C. Still in the 90th percentile. If it was hitting 18 degrees then you might have a point, but it hasn't even been hitting 12.0

VALENTIA_OBSERVATORY_TEMP.png

Exactly what I said earlier, point scoring!!

If it makes you happy to think you're scoring points on me by treating me to an academic lecture on humidity complete with a chart then good for you. I hope it makes your evening.

Come down to Kerry and I guarantee you you'll feel the effects of humidity here winter or summer.

And as to whether 13 degrees is seasonal or not,like everybody else I think it's very mild, but I was referring to it being unseasonal in England where temps are generally lower in winter.

Now,if you must have the last word, go find some school kid somewhere to pontificate to, charts and all, about weather and climate, but for the last time I'm saying that here in Kerry it feels very mild and very humid and for the last time I'm stating that I hate that kind of weather. As I'm entitled to. And if you don't think I am,I really don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

By the time the current mild spell ends we'll already be past the worthwhile cold spell stage, anything from mid February onwards means daytime melting and slush no matter how cold the airmass is.

Eh... March 2018 would like a word? O_o

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Have mild Februarys not been fairly common in recent years? Plenty of years I can remember where Spring was well underway by the end of the month, I'd say more often than not the second half of the month feels Spring-like with noticeably longer days and plant life starting to sprout

Yes in recent times, but back when we used to get proper northerlies, February was often the optimum month for snow, not January and not December. These snowfalls sometimes came about at the time period you now deem too late for snowfall - a change from your Harp days

Exactly what I said earlier, point scoring!!

If it makes you happy to think you're scoring points on me by treating me to an academic lecture on humidity complete with a chart then good for you. I hope it makes your evening.

Come down to Kerry and I guarantee you you'll feel the effects of humidity here winter or summer.

And as to whether 13 degrees is seasonal or not,like everybody else I think it's very mild, but I was referring to it being unseasonal in England where temps are generally lower in winter.

Now,if you must have the last word, go find some school kid somewhere to pontificate to, charts and all, about weather and climate, but for the last time I'm saying that here in Kerry it feels very mild and very humid and for the last time I'm stating that I hate that kind of weather. As I'm entitled to. And if you don't think I am,I really don't care.

First world problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Not as much as mild Decembers. February 2012 had a very mild spell as did February 2017 have some very mild conditions around the 20th. Other Februaries of the decade don’t really stand out otherwise.

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Could some of the experts here do a comparison of very mild Febs and the following summer?? I remember 1998 being like this and then we got record cold in April followed by a horrid summer:(

I’ll look when I can. I can already feel that results will be quite mixed. 2012 was another very mild February, cold April and really dreadful Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I’ll look when I can. I can already feel that results will be quite mixed. 2012 was another very mild February, cold April and really dreadful Summer.

Summer 2012 :(:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

The thaw was pretty rapid in my area even with day time temperature just below freezing as soon as the sun came out drip drip drip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

That was a very rare exception. If we get snow after February then it is normally gone by lunch time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Summer 2012 :(:eek:

Winter 2018-19 :(:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Mild Febs common in recent years? We haven't had a -NAO winter month since Dec 2010, northerly Arctic blasts are now as extinct as the dodo. We just have to accept the fact that this is because the ten warmest years on record have happened in the last twenty years. Pulling weeds in the garden is now an all year 12 month job!

Anyways, I gave up on this winter back in December, when that Euro s**t high became established around the solstice I knew it would ruin this winter (which didn't turn out to be as anticyclonic as 91/92) but at the moment we are back where we started with a high in more or less the same place as December!
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108993563&postcount=243

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

yea the cold that came around paddys day last year was fairly exceprional and the bit of snow was gone very quick. id say we could go 50 years without snow in march like that again. did anyone notice also by say 5th or 6th March how quickly the muck and slush from all the melted snow was gone and land dried out very quickly?

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Ahh bollocks!! Im getting married May 5th always been decent enough weather all the years ive been here, knowing my luck it will be pissing of rain and high winds:eek:

Overall reanalysis showing the blocking has been there this Winter but equally above average heights to our southwest which seasonal models did not pick up on.

https://twitter.com/matthugo81/status/1095609810916200448?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

What a horrible winter it has been. Hardly any cold to speak off, we've had three frosts here in Waterford, imaging three the whole winter and now we have this south westerly muck, roll the summer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

next Winter can only be an improvement. A target of no snow and 5 nights of frost with mostly double figure temperatures leaves plenty of room for improvement next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

Dickie10 wrote: »
    yea the cold that came around paddys day last year was fairly exceprional and the bit of snow was gone very quick. id say we could go 50 years without snow in march like that again. did anyone notice also by say 5th or 6th March how quickly the muck and slush from all the melted snow was gone and land dried out very quickly?

No. Because i was back home and we still had 8ft drifts on those dates (5th/6th March)!

Using the CET series, I was correct with results being very mixed. The overall reanalysis parks a trough over the UK and Ireland with strong blocking to the north meaning a very unsettled and cool Summer. However, individual Summers have quite a contrast. Summers 1989, 1990 & 1995 are in there for example but then there's 2002, 1998 (as one mentioned) & 2011. February 2012 is not in here as it's the Central England Temperature and they had a cold spell in the first half which offset the month from being exceptionally mild for it but we know for Ireland that it was a very mild month.

Unlikely that this February will rank with the absolute mildest but it'll still be a milder than average month.

Rzus3VG.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Cut the lawn today. Was some growth on it. Great drying on the line today.

Advertisement