Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gangland Shootings [Mod Note in Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭Jeff2

STB. wrote: »
    Reports printed in newspapers at the time quoted "Garda sources" as saying that the shooters entered the Regency Hotel through a back door, not covered by CCTV, and left the same way. The other suspect in the picture allegedly stayed as a guest at the Regency the previous night.

There's a fairly crude synopsis here of the early stages of evidence given at the trial, by the manager of the Regency, an Indo Journalist and a photographer.

I thought the CCTV system in the hotal was down on that evening.

The person though to be the driver of the car that picked them from the van was killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

Well, two of this crowd got caught red-handed by Gardai. Violent armed robbery. Previous form. Suspended sentences!
    https://www.thejournal.ie/mugger-thermal-imaging-4504678-Feb2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

the pressure on Det Fox must have been immense for him to take his own life, poor man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Jeff2 wrote: »

The person though to be the driver of the car that picked them from the van was killed.

A recently jailed ex-SF councillor was allegedly brought in to disable the CCTV. However, they didn't legislate for the press photographers in attendance who took some high quality snaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Doesn't seem to have been any at all in the back.

When you read the reports, this was from the CCTV footage shown in the Court proceedings, its over in 6 minutes and involved 5 gunmen and a driver.

The two pictured in that famous photo entered at 2.28pm and asked for directions. Shots fired, pandemonium. Two journalists from the Indo saw what they thought were ERU armed with AK47's at 2.30pm. They then enter as shots are going off. One of the journalists takes that photo of the "ERU" with his mobile phone. They are out by 2.34pm.

• Advertisement

Dante7 wrote: »
    A recently jailed ex-SF councillor was allegedly brought in to disable the CCTV. However, they didn't legislate for the press photographers in attendance who took some high quality snaps.

Yes, Johnny ( friend of Hutch) had a security business that installed CCTV and online access.

Don't mean to go all all conspiracy but coincidence.

I don't think it's unreasonable to suspect that there may be something fishy going on here. GSOC have already opened an investigation into the circumstances surrounding Fox's death.

There are two main theories. The first one, which seems to be the semi-official line, and which is being pushed by the likes of Paul Williams, is that Fox made a little mistake, such as messing up the ID process, and that he suffered some sort of mental breakdown over this.

The other story is that he became very seriously compromised after possibly giving the names of all involved in the Regency to the Byrne's and that this information came out and he may have been susceptible to blackmail from the Hutch side. I thought this was unlikely, but Sadie Byrne spoke very complimentary of Fox today.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

They came out shouting "I couldn't f*cking find him, he's not in there".

Who couldn't they find? David Byrne was already dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Some might say that its more likely that the request made by the defence for the trawling of emails between four named Gardai, that stalled the whole case, turned up something that compromised the prosecutions case, so much so that they had to withdraw it.

Will we ever know ? Probably not.
    xzanti wrote: »

They werent looking for David Byrne. Daniel Kinahan was the target according to various press reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I don't think it's unreasonable to suspect that there may be something fishy going on here. GSOC have already opened an investigation into the circumstances surrounding Fox's death.

There are two main theories. The first one, which seems to be the semi-official line, and which is being pushed by the likes of Paul Williams, is that Fox made a little mistake, such as messing up the ID process, and that he suffered some sort of mental breakdown over this.

The other story is that he became very seriously compromised after possibly giving the names of all involved in the Regency to the Byrne's and that this information came out and he may have been susceptible to blackmail from the Hutch side. I thought this was unlikely, but Sadie Byrne spoke very complimentary of Fox today.

I still say it's mostly A but it's not so much a mess up as a stitch up - my reading of it implies that the Gardai essentially intended to frame Hutch in an Ian Bailey esque manner - regardless of having any actual evidence of his involvement, they were going to say they identified him anyway - and that this was sussed out by the defence. It could be that Fox was the one who blew the whistle on it, or that he wanted to but his colleagues put pressure on him to go along with the official line, and he couldn't hack it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

They were after Daniel Kinahan. The Byrnes and Roe / McGovern were secondary targets, they wanted primarily to get Daniel because he had previously ordered the murder of Gary Hutch.

Kenahan junior, he ran out the back door.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

Daniel got lucky that day, I wonder was it the lack of garda presence that spooked him. He may well of got away in the confusion anyway as Liam Byrne managed to.

I'd love to know exactly how it all went down Inside the hotel.

Kenahan junior, he ran out the back door.

Did he leave after it all kicked off yeah? I had read somewhere he left a few minutes before everything started.

Daniel got lucky that day, I wonder was it the lack of garda presence that spooked him. He may well of got away in the confusion anyway as Liam Byrne managed to.

I'd love to know exactly how it all went down Inside the hotel.

Harry lost the plot. Too much white.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Why did you let these people do this to you Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

deandean wrote: »
    Well, two of this crowd got caught red-handed by Gardai. Violent armed robbery. Previous form. Suspended sentences!
    https://www.thejournal.ie/mugger-thermal-imaging-4504678-Feb2019/
    The court heard Odunlami is from a strict Christian background and moved to Ireland from his native Nigeria when he was aged five.
    Ah, the old 'moved to Ireland' line. Gotta love it. That was about 2002 when the Nigerians were miraculously appearing on Irish shores at a rate of 10-15,000 a year, claiming asylum and popping out the baba's before we even knew what hit us.
    And now the fruits of those years are starting to blossom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Relax the cacks lads
    At a hearing today, Judge Melanie Greally noted that Odunlami had expressed remorse and had not committed any offences since this robbery.

A justice system based on "sorry, I won't do it again"

lol

GSOC investigate Fox.

Nothing going to come out I guess.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0220/1031820-gsoc-colm-fox/

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Golf4GolfGti

Where's the thread about the Irish scum carrying out daily muggings and racist attacks in the city centre, most recently on deliveroo cyclists tonight???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Where's the thread about the Irish scum carrying out daily muggings and racist attacks in the city centre, most recently on deliveroo cyclists tonight???

There is space for a separate thread.
    I haven't heard of what you speak of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

Shops in Raheny were hit at the weekend by the gangs from Balbriggan. Here, 1 shop owner speaks out

https://www.98fm.com/podcasts/98fm-39-s-dublin-talks/owner-raheny-shop-speaks-gang-attack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

jay0109 wrote: »
    Shops in Raheny were hit at the weekend by the gangs from Balbriggan. Here, 1 shop owner speaks out

https://www.98fm.com/podcasts/98fm-39-s-dublin-talks/owner-raheny-shop-speaks-gang-attack

No mention of colour there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

imme wrote: »
    There is space for a separate thread.
    I haven't heard of what you speak of.

This is a safe space for racists.

There was no muggings in Dublin before the sun went down on Mosney permanently.

No mention of colour there.

The store owner is probably afraid of being called a racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

The store owner is probably afraid of being called a racist.

Or the gangs were white.

Can someone explain to me how Nigerians and other non-EU nationals are living here? I'm all for taking in qualified nurses from the Philippines, but how are unskilled migrants coming in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Can someone explain to me how Nigerians and other non-EU nationals are living here? I'm all for taking in qualified nurses from the Philippines, but how are unskilled migrants coming in?

I've often wondered that myself, was there a war on there recently?

Or the gangs were white.

This is the same Balbriggan gang that has been terrorising the dart line.

But feel free to continue burying your head in the sand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

The vast majority are Brazilians and Chinese and we're taking their money on the proviso that they're studying. After the Brazilians and the Chinese the 3'rd biggest entrants are American. They're possibly the most annoying. The rest make up fairly small numbers if you take them on a country by country basis.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement