Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Commodore 64

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Did anyone have one of those Action Replay cartridges for their C64?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Paarthurnax

Loved Golden Axe and Supremacy they were more towards the end of its era, Ghosts and Ghouls, CAbal, New Zealand story the memories.
    As for the cogging as we called it, buy a new game in the Virgin mega Store etc copy it on the old tape to tape (cogger) and take it back and exchange by saying that you got 2 of the same game for your birthday or christmas.
    The copying tape to tape even worked with high speed dubbing :D and you could put multiple games on a c90 cassette.
    Thats what the digit counter on the c64 tape player came in handy for.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭ninja 12

faceman wrote: »
    Did anyone have one of those Action Replay cartridges for their C64?

Yeah , I did .

If I remember right , I got it by mail order from the UK , from an ad in one of the magazines .

Easy cheating ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Buck Rogers, Hero - great game, going down mineshafts blowing up walls looking for treasure, A View to a Kill - Bond game, not a clue what it was about.
    Good times, frustrating at times though.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Paarthurnax

faceman wrote: »
    "Hairyarseholes" remains the best cheat code of all time.

Without googling it can you remember the game though?

Had to google it out of curiosity, knew it was in reverse alright. The game was CJs Elephant antics a game I remember nothing about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Proper bit of kit back in the day, those. Expensive, but advanced. Geek factoid: in the original Terminator film, the machine point-of-view shots as it walks into the bar feature, among all the "computery-looking" crap, some scrolling MOS 6502 assembler code - the CPU used in the '64. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

If you're looking for a Commodore 64 nostalgia quick fix the this YouTube channel is worth checking out. He has uploaded long-play videos of gameplay from just about every C64 title you can think of.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCksDR-PrStJbBG8l7DQtwrA

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

doubledown wrote: »
    If you're looking for a Commodore 64 nostalgia quick fix the this YouTube channel is worth checking out. He has uploaded long-play videos of gameplay from just about every C64 title you can think of.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCksDR-PrStJbBG8l7DQtwrA

I love the fact that he`s put 720p as the resolution for the videos when the C64 was nowhere near capable or that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

We had a green screen Amstrad CPC 464

Dozens of pirated games.

I had colour sceen and floppy drive but Carrier Command was the last surviving game I had....very off thread in a C64 thread!! I got an Amiga after for Commodore fans :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Yes, I had one was I was a kid. It was a great computer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭buried

Another 'Last Ninja 2' C64 soundtrack part sampled for a recently released 2016 EP

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

razorblunt wrote: »
    ... and some racing game where your futuristic car could be swapped to a motorbike. It also had Smoke on the Water as the theme song, loved that game.

LED Storm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭blueyedson

Loads of memories coming back from reading this thread of the c64.

Used to love copying the games using double tape decks...had to mess around with the amp settings and hope for d best...hours doing 1 game!

Then another program called mega tape or something that could crack some of the loaders..anyone remember that one?

Used to swap loads of games that would be copied on a turbo loader...games would load 5 times quicker could fit loads on one c90 tape !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 Oliver Beetroot

Amiga 500 Plus FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

The New Zealand story my first game obsession when I was 6 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Tigger007

Remember this soccer manager game, where it took a long time to load and as for watching little match stick men move slowly on screen. my friend played for months and eventually got a managers job in the first division

• Registered Users Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Olishi4 wrote: »
    Did you have one of these?

No. Had a Speccy. Cos everyone else I knew had one. The amount of games that were passed around was obscene. :pac:

You could get a C90 or C120 with a shitload of games on them and stick it in the stereo to copy it and they usually worked.

Happy days getting a tape off of a mate and not knowing what was on it. Loading it up and going through each game one by one.

Matchday...have it.

Jetpac...have it.

Knight Lore...have it.

Green Beret! YES!

Untitled-1.jpg

Spent hours on this

the-oracle-s-cave_4.png

The absolute state of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Skommando wrote: »
    Only rich knobs that new nothing about computers had them. The real computer heads had sinclairs.

I had a commodore 64 that broke twice in warranty and I asked guy in shop could I just swap it for a spectrum and he said yes ....

To this day im not sure did I make right decision.

I loved midnight resistance and target renegade.... I also completed most the the Dizzy collection .

Back in a time that you could borrow a game from someone at school ,,, take it home and copy it on my big sisters twin cassette player while she permed her hair and have a free game..... oh the happy times ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭In the wind

so I have just pulled my commmodore 64 out of storage after about 30 years.

Night Moves edition Christmas, 1988.

I’ve set it up and everything seems to be working as expected.

I want to get back playing Wonderboy and it loads OK all the way to the start screen and then I’m prompted to hit the function button to start the game but that won’t start the game.

I seem to remember those something else to do to initiate the game but it escapes me right now anybody have any ideas?

😁

The memories!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,055 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Stuck here. 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

I did the same earlier in the year, another Night Moves pack owner here. I replaced the caps, and added a fastloader cart (makes a MASSIVE difference to loading times) and an SD2IEC as an sd based disc drive. Chuffed with it and how it turned out - https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058234628/commodore-64-restore-and-upgrades

I'm not sure it's broken. It appears th load the game but I just forget how to start the game.

Cheers.

Replaced the caps? I have no idea what that means. Sorry.

I have no idea what that means. Sorry.

Do you think you need to do all of those things to get it up and running or which one would be my best best to do first?

Hmm digital speed loaders. Very interesting. Thanks for the nudge.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,055 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

He's referring to having the capacitors replaced, as they break down over time, and often leak.

• Advertisement

Ah ok, thanks.

Not sure it's broken inside. Some of my other gals won't load but do try. Load screen comes up as expected.

I suspect the tape deck head is the issue for the non loading games.

Advertisement