Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

is conor mcgregor an embarrassment to Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

He comes off as a scumbag, but a nice scumbag, but that's the name of the game really, you have to talk yourself up and strive for the alpha status, best way to beat your opponents and get the state of mind 1 up on them. In person I'm sure he's a sound man.
    Loads of respect for his dedication to achieve what he's done so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭ratracer

Fair fcuking play to him!! If peeps wanna throw money at you, take it from them. Work hard for a couple of years, then after that, live of the millions of $$$$

Oh, and he can fight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

The guy is the biggest Media Troll ever! I would have thought that was pretty transparent.

He knows he has to make a name for himself, he creates a persona and then he backs it up inside the Octagon!

To be fair to him, its a true rags to riches tale. His first UFC fight he even said he has to go sign off the dole. Hes not afraid to say where he came from and not afraid to say where he is going. Its a very admirable trait if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

guest2014 wrote: »
    I would be the first to cheer on any Irish person in any field but with this guy I just find myself watching him from behind the couch, fake put on american accent "my man"?, talking about how much he loves money, talking about how he wears the best suits and insulting everyone else's clothes, saying things like "I seen his little skinny Brazillian head" "he looked like a skinny Brazillian from the favellas" talking about Aldo, thats being racist in my opinion.
    talking about how everyone in Ireland is watching his fights, no they aren't mate, Irish people don't act how you are acting, look at Andy lee in comparison, a humble gentleman who we are proud to call Irish, also a world champion unlike mcgregor.
    I would love to see conor beaten in his next fight but as I suspect the ufc is rigged, the ufc want a big fight next in vegas between mcgregor, then another big money fight in the aviva or croke park when mcgregor will be defending his title after beating Aldo.

Pure ignorance

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭boardie100

good aul irish begrudgery... irish guy works his ass to get to the top of his game and people wait to take him down a notch just because he isnt a little humble irish gobsheen...

there are queues of kids taking up martial arts because of him, would u prefer they were out robbing cars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

Conor McGregor's great. If he wins it's great, an Irish winner. If he loses, an annoying dick gets his comeuppance, just as good! It's a win-win situation!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

if its not rigged.

Why does anyone think its rigged?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I'm waiting to hear the previous posters reasoning for it not being a real sport....back up your post

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Why does anyone think its rigged?

Regular wwe viewers

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Ahhh i was wondering when id some some typical irish begrudgery leveled at him.

Glad to see we haven't changed that much as a nation and still manage to produce countless bitter old sods

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭guest2014

boardie100 wrote: »
    good aul irish begrudgery... irish guy works his ass to get to the top of his game and people wait to take him down a notch just because he isnt a little humble irish gobsheen...

there are queues of kids taking up martial arts because of him, would u prefer they were out robbing cars

yes, i would rather some knacker rob my car than a knacker who is proficient in martial arts.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Gatling wrote: »
    Regular wwe viewers

Plenty of regular WWE viewers appreciate both companies and their performers. It's the casual crew who only tune in to little bits of both that seem to get confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

The real embarrassment is the existence of this thread the morning after the great night in Boston.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

I recently read a description of him that went something like this......

I used to think Conor was a funny fella that sometime said cnutish things. Now I know he's a cnut, that sometimes says funny things.

When he first came out I thought he was a bit of banter. Now I just changed the channel. I hope he beats Aldo, but don't think he will.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Ahhh i was wondering when id some some typical irish begrudgery leveled at him.

Glad to see we haven't changed that much as a nation and still manage to produce countless bitter old sods

whats the alternative? jump on the bandwagon like yourself and ignore what a twat he is, and wait for all the kids to be mini mcgregor's in a few years time acting as he does?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

He is certainly not an embarrassment no matter what way you look at it. I was at an Off the Ball roadshow he appeared at and he stuck around the pub getting pictures with anyone that wanted one. He was ridiculously friendly and approachable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I don't really know much about the guy. That being said, seeing him wearing a combo red knickers/posing pouch made him look ridiculous. If he's responsible for the beard trend in Ireland I think we should hang the bastard.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

An attention seeking gobsh1te, harmless enough behind it all I suppose.

Seems pretty easy for him to tap into the type of sovereign ring wearing neanderthals that follow UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

To be honest, if he wasn't so mouthy or talented at self-promotion, he'd probably still be fighting in the bum leagues.

He got signed to UFC off the back of buzz and media attention, he became world famous because of his ability to sell himself, and he has the skills to back himself up.

He's a bigger credit to this country than the fat keyboard warriors slating him

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Seems pretty easy for him to tap into the type of sovereign ring wearing neanderthals that follow UFC.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

padd b1975 wrote: »
    An attention seeking gobsh1te, harmless enough behind it all I suppose.

boards is obviously full of them according to the poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

whats the alternative? jump on the bandwagon like yourself and ignore what a twat he is, and wait for all the kids to be mini mcgregor's in a few years time acting as he does?

What bandwagon have I hopped on? I don't watch UFC myself and don't plan to even if there's irish fighter's im just not interested in it, but im happy to see someone doing well for themselves.

Is being happy for people succeeding in life now a bandwagon? God were a bitter bunch of moaners.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

I don't really know much about the guy. That being said, seeing him wearing a combo red knickers/posing pouch made him look ridiculous. If he's responsible for the beard trend in Ireland I think we should hang the bastard.:D

Definitely responsible for the man bun trend. Ask any guy with a man bun what he thinks of McGregor and if they're a fan, I'd say you'd be stuck to find one that says anything negative

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

That stupid accent he puts on does my head in.
    Also he comes across very arrogant. I personally don't like him

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

If you think his Americanised accent is bad you should listen to some of the bigger Irish YouTubers, specifically the gaming ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

You mean his Dublin accent? :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

He reminds me of a a young Muhammad Ali

The bravado, the style, the lingo,

fair play to him, making a name for himself!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I have no interest in UFC, it's not a real sport IMO, but I heard the guy being interviewed on the radio this morning and he sounded like a complete and utter @rsehole.

He's an a grade gobshíte - but a fantastic, world class fighter.
    Anyone who thinks these fights are rigged simply hasn't watched many of them. UFC is probably the toughest sport in the world, it's certainly there or thereabouts. Whatever leads anyone to thinking it's not a real sport is a mystery to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭buried

Have no interest in this young man's area of entertainment nor do I enjoy it, but you have to credit the fact he got off his backside and actually did something. Its sad attempting to belittle anyone who has the gumption to go out into the world and made something of themselves by doing something they enjoy which then gives enjoyment to other people.
    If you feel he is an "embarrassment" and offends your nation to such a high degree then the only way to combat that sort of mindset is to get off your own backside and create something yourself which could counteract this "embarrassment" currently affecting your person and how you think our nation is being perceived.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

no he is not. our government is an embassasment to ireland... a lot people dont like him because they dont like the sport MMA. i dont like rugby but i can respect brian o driscoll's talent and i no brian is not a show man like conor but with different sports you always have a showman and so far i think conor is good for ireland the way he is. muhammad ali was a showman but a lot of people hated him for it but yet still respected his talent.

conor mcgregor, keep up the good job.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement