Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cannabis withdrawal worse than heroin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

mikom wrote: »
    If only closed minds came with closed mouths.

Ditto for stoned minds, you'd swear getting baked was a basic human right. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

nothing but ak47 straight from the crop m'dear.

and for the record, not many smokers quantify cannabis by strength. infact i cant remember the last time strength had any affect on my purchasing decisions.

despite what you may think as a non smoker, potency does not equal quality.

Indeed, it's all in the cure and we don't mean a pint down the local on a Sunday..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Ditto for stoned minds, you'd swear getting baked was a basic human right. :rolleyes:

its not. but neither is stopping us a governmental right.

its not. but neither is stopping us a governmental right.

I said nothing about stopping it, the shrieking calls for legalisation are amusing for what basically boils down to people sitting down and getting off their faces.

Such hysteria over something so pathetically mundane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

You know what annoys me............ folk who go on and on about video games............ GTA this, Forza that, Lord of the rings the other.
    You'd swear playing games was a basic human right.

It basically boils down to people sitting down and leaving reality aside for a while............ shocking.

Except it does not annoy me.

• Advertisement

You know what annoys me............ folk who go on and on about video games............ GTA this, Forza that, Lord of the rings the other.
    You'd swear playing games was a basic human right.

Except it does not annoy me.

Are video games illegal? :confused:

is smoking weed illegal? :confused:

Would you still play them if they were?

I said nothing about stopping it, the shrieking calls for legalisation are amusing for what basically boils down to people sitting down and getting off their faces.

i think the majority of the shrieking calls are for decriminalisation. anything after that needs looking at properly but in the mean time we need to stop jailing weed smokers. jails are for rapists and murderers etc, im baffled with a society that locks a smoker up with their likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

the shrieking calls for legalisation are amusing for what basically boils down to people sitting down and getting off their faces.

What an absolutely ridiculous thing to say, yet another day of someone talking absolute bollox about a subject matter they have f**k all experience or knowledge of. I'd be ashamed if anyone i knew over the age of 18 came out with something so embarrassingly close minded.

Empty vessels and all that.

And while I'm at it, taken from one our your posts in the last week on if a forum has "ever changed your opinion on something":
    Changed my opinion on other people perhaps. Some people shouldn't be let near a computer or any other means to communicate with others.

Yeah, you're one of those people.

Thanks for coming online to reiterate things you already believe and refuse to enter an adult discussion on.

What you post would be better placed on a Facebook wall to get 3 likes and then disappear into obscurity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

ScumLord wrote: »
    Misrepresentation of the facts.

Haven't read the report, but can you tell me how this is misrepresenting the facts?

All though there has been a long standing belief that smoking cannabis can bring on schizophrenia, I this this has been empirically refuted, I may be wrong though. Cannabis use, can trigger and exacerbate psychotic episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Scare mongering propaganda for a relatively harmless drug, compared to Alcohol and Tobacco that kills over 9 million EACH YEAR... People want it to remain illegal, so they bribe Governments to have it so. Beneficiaries of it being illegal, Tobacco companies obviously... Pharmaceuticals who get to keep their drugs expensive, and Government in taxes + bribery.

Plus I doubt the Government would ever say "Alright, we've been wrong this entire time... have at it", so honestly don't ever see it being legalized.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Laois6556

nothing but ak47 straight from the crop m'dear.

and for the record, not many smokers quantify cannabis by strength. infact i cant remember the last time strength had any affect on my purchasing decisions.

despite what you may think as a non smoker, potency does not equal quality.

Ah you'd want a bit of bang for your buck.

If only closed minds came with closed mouths.

The potheads are turning a bit fascist now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Laois6556 wrote: »

Potheads? What's it really like in 1981? I have such nostalgia for the 80's it must be wonderful to still be living 30 years in the past :rolleyes:

Also calling someone Fascist just because you've seen other people say it in after hours does not mean you know what it means

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I have seen one or two of people with pretty unsound mental states lose their marbles after taking on board strong stuff, usually a little to quickly.

Anytime it's happened it was fairly obvious it was going to happen. If it were legalised one would assume that a health warning or disclaimer would state that it could exacerbate existing mental health issues.

I dont believe it creates mental health issues, but it is definitely unsuitable for those who have existing conditions. Whilst not at all physically addictive it can become a pyschological crutch, but again, that should be made clear on the labelling.

Potheads and fascists, hmmm.

"Reds under the beds" will be the next word vomit spewed forth, I reckon.

I am pie wrote: »
    I have seen one or two of people with pretty unsound mental states lose their marbles after taking on board strong stuff, usually a little to quickly.

Anytime it's happened it was fairly obvious it was going to happen. If it were legalised one would assume that a health warning or disclaimer would state that it could exacerbate existing mental health issues.

I dont believe it creates mental health issues, but it is definitely unsuitable for those who have existing conditions. Whilst not at all physically addictive it can become a pyschological crutch, but again, that should be made clear on the labelling.

and every smoker in the land would back you up on the need for it to be both legalised and legitimised.

those of us that obtain it naturally at least know whats going in. buying it locally must be a nightmare, like buying a pie without knowing who's made it or what they put in it.

sure isnt drugs and homosexuality all a big commie plot? :)

... and dancing.. lets not forget dancing.

Cormac... wrote: »
    Potheads? What's it really like in 1981? I have such nostalgia for the 80's it must be wonderful to still be living 30 years in the past :rolleyes:

Also calling someone Fascist just because you've seen other people say it in after hours does not mean you know what it means

:D What do you call yourselves these days?

Trying to shut up people you don't agree with is a bit fascist.

• Advertisement

:D Potheads are fascist communists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

The issue with cannabis is that, even in the countries that it has been decriminalised for use, the manufacture and supply are technically not legal so it can be genetically modified etc and there's really no systematic testing for this. The THC content of a lot of strains has been increased over the years so people are not smoking the happy herb that their forefathers were.

I have absolutely no doubt that cannabis can be easily as addictive and damaging as any other psychoactive substance. While I believe that when the conditions are right it's absolutely fine and a lovely way to spend an evening, it is, like any other substance, very problematic when you consider the effects of children of 14 or younger smoking, which is the trend that a lot of studies are showing.

Studying cannabis, alcohol and other substances and the health issues they pose atm so while I normally take a liberal view and am quite happy with the situation in the Netherlands, it only seems to work for Dutch people to smoke for a year when they're 17/ 18 and then not bother with it anymore. They do not understand why you would smoke it in Uni or even afterwards. Other nationalities really do the dog on it and I know one person who it was definitely a gateway drug for, is completely addicted now to it, alcohol and cocaine and has severe mental health issues. His life is slowly falling apart.

And by the way, the only reason a government would even bother to decriminalise it is so that they can concentrate the financial resources on stopping the supply chain and treatment for addicts or problem users.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

:D What do you call yourselves these days?

Trying to shut up people you don't agree with is a bit fascist.
    Stop trolling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

and every smoker in the land would back you up on the need for it to be both legalised and legitimised.

those of us that obtain it naturally at least know whats going in. buying it locally must be a nightmare, like buying a pie without knowing who's made it or what they put in it.

I don't think it's a quality issue, more that for some people with existing mental health conditions cannabis is going to exacerbate these conditions.

That's my anecdotal experience. Saw someone completely lose their marbles and run off into the fields claiming "the germans are coming!" , later arrested and deported from Holland. I have seen another friend have panic attack related issues stemming from paranoia.

Both cases were probably, almost definitely, going to happen anyway but the intake of cannabis brought it on like a steam train!

Labelling, and possibly even making people sign a disclaimer to state they have no mental health issues or some other control should be necessary in the event of legalisation.

The issue with cannabis is that, even in the countries that it has been decriminalised for use, the manufacture and supply are technically not legal so it can be genetically modified

I'll just clear up that claim of genetically modified cannabis.
    It has not been genetically modified through biotechnology unless Monsanto or a government organisation is doing so without telling us.

I don't think it's a quality issue, more that for some people with existing mental health conditions cannabis is going to exacerbate these conditions.

That's my anecdotal experience. Saw someone completely lose their marbles and run off into the fields claiming "the germans are coming!" , later arrested and deported from Holland. I have seen another friend have panic attack related issues stemming from paranoia.

Both cases were probably, almost definitely, going to happen anyway but the intake of cannabis brought it on like a steam train!

Labelling, and possibly even making people sign a disclaimer to state they have no mental health issues or some other control should be necessary in the event of legalisation.

i agree. like i said earlier in this thread, all it takes is the realisation of what your personal and physical capabilities are.

just as an aside, my missus uses it (in conjunction with other methods) to subside panic attacks she suffers due to a major childhood trauma.

goes to show, whats good for the goose isnt always good for the gander.

It has not been genetically modified through biotechnology unless Monsanto or a government organisation is doing so without telling us.

yup, no more of a genetic modification than a mongrel is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

It has not been genetically modified through biotechnology.

Yes you're, if I understand it correctly they are (amongst other things but my study hasn't gone that deep) adding cannabis oils to resin which bumps up the potency. But as I said, none of it is subject to routine testing.

The laws are just too grey when it comes to manufacture and supply, for example you can buy the equipment to grow perfectly legally, and you can have a number of plants perfectly legally but there's no clarity about how large one plant can get.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

You sure he hadn't any psychedelic mushrooms in his system as well? Any weed I've ever smoked gave me the opposite desire to running around, wonder what kind he smoked?

• Advertisement

yup, no more of a genetic modification than a mongrel is.

Puts me in mind of..........
    Yeah, my dog ate my stash, man.
    Had it on the table, and the little motherfucker ate it, man.

I had to follow him around with a little baggie for three days before I got it back.
    Really blew the dog's mind.

You mean we're smoking dog shit, man?

Gets you high, don't it?

Advertisement