Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Three teenagers crushed to death in Tyrone

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I understand that because it happened at 9:30pm, would it be fair to say the doors to the venue wouldn't be open yet? Nightclubs rarely open before 11pm anyway so I suppose you wouldn't expect staff or doormen to be on duty until official opening time. Per RTE news, several buses arrived at the same time dropping a couple of 100 revellers off simultaneously. Maybe every other night, revellers arrived in dribs and drabs so there was never an antipated need for crowd control like you'd see at concerts and sporting events? This no doubt contributed to the rapidly deteriorating situation. The harrowing account from the girl caught up in it said that those on the outside of the crowd were unaware of the crush further in and were just eager to get as close to the door as possible which is why they would have pushed/surged forward for fear they missed gaining entry. This seems to be consistent factor in crushes as described by eyewitnesses at Hillsborough (those fans outside the turnstiles) and that German rock concert tunnel crush a few years ago. No one would deliberately want to cause a crush - they were just oblivious to what was happening outside of their sight line.

Very tragic and one of my worst nightmares - being suffocated or crushed and being totally helpless. God love those poor victims and their families (and indeed survivors).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

ongarboy wrote:
    I understand that because it happened at 9:30pm, would it be fair to say the doors to the venue wouldn't be open yet? Nightclubs rarely open before 11pm anyway so I suppose you wouldn't expect staff or doormen to be on duty until official opening time.

It was a teenage disco. They usually start some time between 9 and half 9, and finish at midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

It was a teenage disco. They usually start some time between 9 and half 9, and finish at midnight.

It wasn't a teenage disco... the Greenvale forever and a day has been a disco to go to if you where underage but could get in and get alcohol. In my day and I believe its still the case if your 19 you wouldn't go to the Greenvale Disco as you would be to old for the crowd.

AFAIK doors had just been opened and thats what caused the surge but what happened next is where i struggle..... did the bouncers close the doors when they saw the crowd surge and thought they where going to over run them? Could there not have been some way of getting them into to the venue by opening the doors and rush them into the safety of the empty venue? E.g. Hillsborough - fans where saved by getting them onto the space of the pitch.

Even if they closed the doors thinking they where doing the right thing? the position of the windows of the hotel are important.... the children where being crushed up against a window at the front of the hotel..... could see some confusion if the crush was happening at a large wall.

To say the bouncers did not start to 9.30 shouldn't be an issue..... 'i see a crush out there...... its 9.25 i dont start to 9.30' the door staff failed in my opinion.

There's a smoking area above the door where this crush took place and there is video footage before the crush happening showing the mass crowd of children.... who took this video would be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Chopper83

This shocked me but didn't completely surprise me knowing the layout of the entrance. looking on twitter you can see young'ins complaining about the queue over the past few years and even one person predicting this years ago...

This was completely avoidable and from experience over the years there has been many problems with queues and crowds in the Greenvale. It was notorious for fights outside it back in my day but a lot of places had the same reputation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

So sad. They should have been in the disco with their sneaky naggins, shifting and feeling boobs and other teenage high jinks. Not getting crushed to death getting in. :(

This freaks me out because I got caught in crushes outside venues a few times as a teenager. In one incident, my feet actually left the ground. In those circumstances, all it takes is for one person to stumble for panic and disaster to ensue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

It definitely wasn't a teenage disco. It was a regular over 18s disco. That is why the PSNI have urged attendees to come forward with any eye witness accounts and not to be concerned about the fact that they might be uncomfortable admitting they were attending (or attempting to attend) a night club that they were legally underage for.

https://news.sky.com/story/cookstown-hotel-disco-crush-underage-witnesses-wont-be-punished-say-police-11670184

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

In my opinion I don't think lack of training can be used here (I don't know whether they had it or not). This incident did not take seconds it took minutes upon minutes..... training or no training any strong adult employed by the hotel in the premises should have been out there when this horrific event started to transpire but by all accounts they weren't.

I know the venue well as it is our local hotel - it is a small venue there at least a dozen windows on the front of the building and the ones where the crowd had gathered are facing into reception. The disco hadn't even started so there can't be an excuse of they needed security inside to manage the crowd!

If the disco hadn't started its likely the full compliment of security weren't in work yet.

Again, I don't know the place but in my experience the first budget cuts in clubs, bars and disco's starts with security.

Like I've said already venue's are usually understaffed when it comes to security. I've never worked in a single venue which was up to strength, not a single one.

Head doormen are always asking for more staff, and security company supervisors are always looking for more security staff, barmen and women always look for more security staff and when things go tits up EVERYONE wants more security staff, but club owners won't pay so they'll get a minimum number required from the head doorman and chop that number again.

Security is very expensive, its not a job that people take on long term so its hard to get experienced staff, and experienced staff don't come cheap.

Doorstaff and event security are given no crowd control training, there's no legal requirement for either north or south of the border, maybe this should change.

Another thing worth considering is the numbers of staff employed for a Paddy's Day disco. Again club owners won't pay for extra staff or longer hours, most won't even pay a bonus for working that night.

Paddy's Day is crazy in any venue, its a nightmare because you're expected to work a packed venue with the usual weekend compliment of security staff.

Then if you have buses emptying into a closed venue, no one to supervise the crowd and a crush zone, this was probably always likely to happen and I'd be surprised if concerns hadn't been raised in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

If the disco hadn't started its likely the full compliment of security weren't in work yet.

Again, I don't know the place but in my experience the first budget cuts in clubs, bars and disco's starts with security.

Like I've said already venue's are usually understaffed when it comes to security. I've never worked in a single venue which was up to strength, not a single one.

Head doormen are always asking for more staff, and security company supervisors are always looking for more security staff, barmen and women always look for more security staff and when things go tits up EVERYONE wants more security staff, but club owners won't pay so they'll get a minimum number required from the head doorman and chop that number again.

Security is very expensive, its not a job that people take on long term so its hard to get experienced staff, and experienced staff don't come cheap.

Doorstaff and event security are given no crowd control training, there's no legal requirement for either north or south of the border, maybe this should change.

Another thing worth considering is the numbers of staff employed for a Paddy's Day disco. Again club owners won't pay for extra staff or longer hours, most won't even pay a bonus for working that night.

Paddy's Day is crazy in any venue, its a nightmare because you're expected to work a packed venue with the usual weekend compliment of security staff.

Then if you have buses emptying into a closed venue, no one to supervise the crowd and a crush zone, this was probably always likely to happen and I'd be surprised if concerns hadn't been raised in the past.

Find it very hard to have sympathy for door staff this week

• Advertisement

Shn99 wrote: »

The owner mickey mcelhatton would be 52 I believe so probably him and another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I really hope the media are very careful with how they report/word this investigation. especially at this early stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Thread closed. Arrests made.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement