Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Gonzo wrote: »
    could we see a repeat of March 2013?

I hope not... I'd rather forget that pathetic, atrocious month.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

really looking forward to hopefully a very cold February, however it is a bit concerning that March and possibly April could also be quite wintry at times, hinting at a very cold start to Spring, could we see a repeat of March 2013?

it's beginning to look like we are really going to pay for the past 2 and a half months of very mild conditions. The next 4 to 5 days could be the last time to see temps around 10 or 11C for some time to come.

Oh I can't wait, crispy morning afternoons and evenings....

• Registered Users Posts: 32 mrsnrub2.0

really looking forward to hopefully a very cold February, however it is a bit concerning that March and possibly April could also be quite wintry at times, hinting at a very cold start to Spring, could we see a repeat of March 2013?

it's beginning to look like we are really going to pay for the past 2 and a half months of very mild conditions. The next 4 to 5 days could be the last time to see temps around 10 or 11C for some time to come.
    Winter now includes March and April.

The last typical Spring I can recall is 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Muckka wrote: »
    Oh I can't wait, crispy morning afternoons and evenings....

I do love crisp weather. But to be honest by March I'm done with snow and cold. Only want to feel the warmth coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I do love crisp weather. But to be honest by March I'm done with snow and cold. Only want to feel the warmth coming back.

I'm fine with cold in March, especially with severe frost overnight, once it's sunny like in 2010. Damp and dreary like March 2013 aka depressing, no thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I'd take a March 2018 repeat any day. Yes I know we put up with lots of wet weather but I couldn't complain about that because of what we got throughout the month. No thanks to March 2013 though. I know most people will disagree with this but I think it would be fun if we got around 1-3cm of snow in April!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

Winter 2009 was a very long on and off cold and we even had wintry weather on March 28th.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

March 2013 was a waste of good cold, we had plenty of overnight snow showers throughout the month with several cm's of snow most mornings, but the sun would power through it and nothing but green gardens and fields left by midday.

You need a proper sustained fall of heavy snow in March combined with a deep depth of cold for it to stick around more than a day, similar to last year's Storm Emma or the Northern Ireland snow of March 2013. Random snow showers make very little impact in March.

That's why I generally look forward to a movement towards spring like conditions in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭rooney30

Christ , lads were reaching for the Prozac in here yesterday such was lack of cold on the horizon . Today there is talk of blizzards as far south as Madrid . What gives ?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

rooney30 wrote: »
    Christ , lads were reaching for the Prozac in here yesterday such was lack of cold on the horizon . Today there is talk of blizzards as far south as Madrid . What gives ?

the charts!!!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Monkeynut wrote: »
    the charts!!!! :eek:

Charts are mostly showing slack westerlies with the occasional north westerly for the coming week, i.e. bog standard January weather. Still can't make much sense all the optimism and excitement here every day recently :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the mild conditions ending now even earlier than I expected, colder conditions taking over from as early as next Tuesday with temperatures struggling in the mid single digits from next Wednesday onward. Could be some wintry precipitation on high ground at times next week.

BBC automated forecasts have snow for Dublin on Tuesday 22 January.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Defaulter1831

Between Christmas and New Years 1995 we had a very decent cold spell. The coldest temperature in 14 years, back to 1981, was recorded in Clones, -11C.

Here's a clip from the 6 O'Clock News on 27 December.

On the above cold spell Braemer in Scotland went to below -27C. Equalling the coldest ever recorded.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/galleries/worlds-hottest-and-coldest-places/braemar/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Between Christmas and New Years 1995 we had a very decent cold spell. The coldest temperature in 14 years, back to 1981, was recorded in Clones, -11C.

Here's a clip from the 6 O'Clock News on 27 December.

I walked from the harp nightclub on Saint Stephens night that year to the Yellow house pub in rathfarnham and then waited outside for some people to show up and then we were supposedly onto a house party.
    Back then you couldn’t get a taxi on any busy night in town, never mind around Xmas.
    We waited for a half hour and then left.
    It’s still the coldest night I can ever remember been out in.
    We went back to my shed instead to drink and had the heaters on full blast for hours warning up.
    I can even remember the next days news about how cold it was.
    But not a bit of snow fell.

I walked from the harp nightclub on Saint Stephens night that year to the Yellow house pub in rathfarnham and then awaited outside for some people to show up and then we were supposedly onto a house party.
    Back then you couldn’t get a taxi on any busy night in town, never mind around Xmas.
    We waited for a half hour and then left.
    It’s still the coldest night I can ever remember been out in.
    We went back to my shed instead to drink and had the heaters on full blast for hours warning up.
    I can even remember the next days news about how cold it was.
    But not a bit of snow fell.

That was the funny thing. A bit of snow up north but the temperatures were very cold outside Ulster despite lack of snow cover.

Had plenty of snow right on the coast in NW Donegal that week, more so than 2010 or any other year I can remember other than maybe 2000. Good times, best week of the year to get a good dumping of snow

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭amor3

I had my daughter 15 weeks early, last year on storm Emma day! My husband just about made it in! I was in hospital from 4 days before she was born so missed the whole snow event, just seems so surreal to me. I was reading and getting pics but can't imagine the extent of it all! Watching here with great interest now!

Still hasn't put me off snow!! Bring it on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I hope not... I'd rather forget that pathetic, atrocious month.

It was a wonderful month for me. What i am getting from that glosea depiction is, milder interludes, but with Ireland and England possibly in battleground territory alot. It could well be a winter of two halves;)

Artane2002 wrote: »
    I'd take a March 2018 repeat any day. Yes I know we put up with lots of wet weather but I couldn't complain about that because of what we got throughout the month. No thanks to March 2013 though. I know most people will disagree with this but I think it would be fun if we got around 1-3cm of snow in April!

One thing last year events will hopefully have helped put to bed is that you can't get decent cold or snow after mid February. The events you mentioned in March were surreal. Temperatures in double digits one day, then barely making it above freezing the next day. It was absolutely incredible to witness. Also the snow hammering down. People were laughing at me on the 16th, when i said we would have snow and very cold weather on the 17th!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Would you ever get off the stage there bud? You would like to have 1-3 cm of snow in April? I don `t want snow in March let alone April. The cold March and April of 2018 was more than enough for me so don`t want any repeat during those months this year.

I know most people will disagree with this but I think it would be fun if we got around 1-3cm of snow in April!

I will take snow at anytime too. I remember in 1994 we had snow during the last week of April.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Two contrasting mindsets for me tonight after looking at the latest models.
    Firstly without a SSW event would i be getting excited by any model output i'm seeing tonight?? Answer is a big fat no. Colder than of late but diluted and never delivering the goods.
    Secondly i'm factoring in the SSW event and thinking the models are not picking up the signals and output is unreliable.
    My conclusions are anything is possible. Whats likely is an end to the Anticyclonic dominance of late and a more mobile outlook. That will be most welcomed.

I will take snow at anytime too. I remember in 1994 we had snow during the last week of April.

Mid May here. A Friday, 14th I think. Lay on the ground too (high ground).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Bring on da snow

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Two contrasting mindsets for me tonight after looking at the latest models.
    Firstly without a SSW event would i be getting excited by any model output i'm seeing tonight?? Answer is a big fat no. Colder than of late but diluted and never delivering the goods.
    Secondly i'm factoring in the SSW event and thinking the models are not picking up the signals and output is unreliable.
    My conclusions are anything is possible. Whats likely is an end to the Anticyclonic dominance of late and a more mobile outlook. That will be most welcomed.

Give me variety any day over the endless dirty high being experienced now for weeks. I think having lived most my life near the Atlantic I kinda need the wind and weather systems coming in off it at times, hard to explain but it just all fits together better that way ( no I am not on the sauce :) ).

tonights GFS is a definite downgrade on earlier, between the 18th and 23rd of January. We still get some cold, but appears to be nothing more than a cold zonal Atlantic cold front where winds back into the north for a short time, but the systems keep moving north-west to south-east. Looks cold rain/sleety at best with perhaps snow on high ground.

Let's see what tomorrow brings. I still reckon it will be final days of January/February before the blocking really gets going as is shown in the very long range models.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

Charts are mostly showing slack westerlies with the occasional north westerly for the coming week, i.e. bog standard January weather. Still can't make much sense all the optimism and excitement here every day recently :confused:

Think the final third of January into February is where the real potential lies. Nobody is expecting snow within a week but the LRF is for a cold possibly even very cold spell.

No harm in being excited by that prospect, even if it doesn't come to fruition at least we get digital snow. :)

Yeah but that's ages away and people have been building things up all week already, I've read posts describing 'best runs they've ever seen', 'huge potential', 'comparable to 2010' etc. when there's nothing more than boring westerlies (& brief NW'erlies) shown...

Not trying to be a downer or anything, I'm just genuinely confused reading through this thread then comparing it to the model runs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Yeah but that's ages away and people have been building things up all week already, I've read posts describing 'best runs they've ever seen', 'huge potential', 'comparable to 2010' etc. when there's nothing more than boring westerlies (& brief NW'erlies) shown...

Not trying to be a downer or anything, I'm just genuinely confused reading through this thread then comparing it to the model runs

I think you must be talking solely about the "reliable" and ignoring everything else.

Frankly, it's very tiring.

Advertisement