Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Door Locks

• 20-02-2019 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭

Possibly the wrong place to ask but cant find a more suitable place.

What is top end door lock? I see the anti snap cylinder seems to be a thing. What else should I be looking for?

Bought a new house which was previously rented so want to change all the locks and want to go for the best there is. Front door is a uPVC door, rear is sliding uPvc and another single upvc door also.

Also want to get all the locks 'keyed alike' which would be handy.

Any pointers? I intend to call out a locksmith but my lack of knowledge means Im at their mercy!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

ABS Avocet locks seem to tick all boxes. Just buy them online and fit yourself. 2 mins on Youtube and a screw driver would have you able. I got mine from amazon, if you want more than two keyed alike then just email the supplier.

Only one thing to look out for, order the correct size for your door, again youtube is your friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgQQLfyBBc8

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I did as above recently. I had the Garrison break secure before, am happy with the change buy Garrison were good too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tails142

Doop wrote: »
    Possibly the wrong place to ask but cant find a more suitable place.

What is top end door lock? I see the anti snap cylinder seems to be a thing. What else should I be looking for?

Bought a new house which was previously rented so want to change all the locks and want to go for the best there is. Front door is a uPVC door, rear is sliding uPvc and another single upvc door also.

Also want to get all the locks 'keyed alike' which would be handy.

Any pointers? I intend to call out a locksmith but my lack of knowledge means Im at their mercy!

I ordered the abs avocet euro cylinders from this site https://www.barnsleylock.co.uk delivered to parcel motel. Got some keyed alike padlocks too for shed and side gate. Went for thumb turns on the front and back doors as I feel they're safer in event of a fire.

Very easy to fit yourself, the cylinder is held in with a single screw in the side of the door

Advertisement