Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Landlord possibly selling - correct notice period?

• 12-02-2019 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been answered a hundred times over but I want to make sure I have my ducks in a row before a conversation with my landlord.

Myself and my partner have been renting an apartment for 8 years. Very little interaction with the landlord - we fix things as needed etc.

We have been extremely lucky in that our rent hasn't increased and we are paying well below market value. Truth be told we have been waiting for a call about increasing the rent for years now and it just hasn't happened.

We received a call today from the landlord saying they needed to have a conversation with us as "there are changes happening". He hasn't gone into detail as he wants to speak to both of us but we suspect it is one of two things: increasing the rent or selling the property.

In the case of them ending the tenancy I wanted to be sure where we stand with our notice period. As we are 8+ years we are entitled to 224 days notice. Does this apply regardless of circumstance? As in, are there any instances where the landlord does not need to give this much notice? Renovations? Selling? Needing the home for immediate use themselves/family?

I've looked at Citizen's Information etc and it's not super clear (possibly me being thick) so if anyone can say definitively that would be really helpful!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

follow

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭PawneeRanger

So the landlord has confirmed that they intend to sell.

My question is, do they still need to give us the full 224 days notice?

I've looked at the various websites and there is mention of the landlord intending to sell within 3 months...is this within 3 months after the notice period has elapsed? Or can they kick us out earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭meijin

please read all from https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/ending-a-tenancy/

notice for 8+ years is 224 days

and especially https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/ending-a-tenancy/how-a-landlord-can-end-a-tenancy/landlords-grounds-for-ending-a-tenancy/

"Where a landlord intends to sell the property within 3 months of terminating the tenancy, a Statutory Declaration must accompany the Notice of Termination confirming this intention. "

so that's after the tenancy terminates, not when you're given the notice

very important that he signs the Statutory Declaration

• Registered Users Posts: 23,250 ✭✭✭✭ted1

meijin wrote: »

and especially https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/ending-a-tenancy/how-a-landlord-can-end-a-tenancy/landlords-grounds-for-ending-a-tenancy/

"Where a landlord intends to sell the property within 3 months of terminating the tenancy, a Statutory Declaration must accompany the Notice of Termination confirming this intention. "

And what about repossessions?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

ted1 wrote: »
    And what about repossessions?

What about them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

meijin wrote: »

Sorry if this is a stupid question but does that mean the property has to be advertised / placed for sale within three months after the termination date or actually sold within three months?
    What if the house doesn't sell in that time or there is a sale agreed but the sale falls through?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

We did what your landlord is doing. We gave the tenants the required notice and signed a statutory declaration with our solicitor. He is practicing donkey years and he said it was the first time anyone had every done it with him. We did it to have ourselves fully covered. In our case we put the property up for sale a month or so after the tenants moved out (once we had got it fully cleared out and cleaned, painted etc), but it took a further 5 months for the sale to fully close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Couldn't the landlord just simply end the tenancy. It's the end of the 4yr.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

beauf wrote: »
    Couldn't the landlord just simply end the tenancy. It's the end of the 4yr.

The landlord must do it before the end of the part 4 cycle. The o/p says he is there eight years so the third cycle has started.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

Sorry if this is a stupid question but does that mean the property has to be advertised / placed for sale within three months after the termination date or actually sold within three months?
    What if the house doesn't sell in that time or there is a sale agreed but the sale falls through?

No this means that at the time of issuing the termination notice the landlord must have an intention to sell within three months of termination. If he doesn't succeed that does not render the termination unlawful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

The property can be advertised for sale with the tenants in situ. So the landlord may decide to start advertising the property with 60 days left on the notice for example. Tenants move out after the 60 days and sale can be completed

Advertisement