Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

First time foster, might be failed foster :)

• 10-02-2019 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭

Hi all took on fairly nervous, 1 year old pom cross a couple of days ago. I'm absolutely smitten & Mr C is coming round. How long before you realised you would be a failed foster?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

em_cat wrote: »
    Hi all took on fairly nervous, 1 year old pom cross a couple of days ago. I'm absolutely smitten & Mr C is coming round. How long before you realised you would be a failed foster?

ummmmnnnnnnnnn think you know you're a failure already :D:D:D:D:D

Has Mr C got a hope d'you think?!?

(during Storm Eric, we were all lined up on the sofas here, OH arrives, but no seat without an animal on - OH NOT impressed - no more
    animals discussion was had - again!!)

I collected Axel for a rescue and was supposed to bring him to them. But he was such a tiny little sickly looking kitten I brought him straight to my vet. He was sick with some internal bruising so my vet suggested I mind him for a few days and build him up so he'd do better at the sanctuary.

Anyways, of course I fell in love with him immediately but when I really knew was at his check up. Sitting in the waiting room, the woman next to me asked where I'd gotten him. She then said she has seen that appeal for help and was going to go get him but saw that it was already sorted. She was like "imagine, I could have been the one with him!" And then she started talking about giving him a home. And he'd be so happy with her, he'd have a great life. I'm replying with "oh that's nice. Yeah you should contact the rescue". But in my head I was screaming "OVER MY DEAD BODY! Stay the hell away from my kitten lady!!!!!!!"

I knew I was being totally irrational but I couldn't wait to get out of there and away from her. I felt claustrophobic in that moment. The idea of anyone else having him was heartbreaking for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

aonb wrote: »
    ummmmnnnnnnnnn think you know you're a failure already :D:D:D:D:D

Has Mr C got a hope d'you think?!?

(during Storm Eric, we were all lined up on the sofas here, OH arrives, but no seat without an animal on - OH NOT impressed - no more
    animals discussion was had - again!!)

He’s doing quite well for him. The hardest issue is the toileting, she was never trained, developed a habit of doing it after being outside. Started crate training but I say it’ll be slow going.

She’s very funny and animated, really happy to be brushed, to be handled and is non reactive, so far.

A rescue stepped in as well and tbh I promised my OH that I wouldn’t get attached but my goodness theres just something about her.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

I'd say when you know, you know. ;)

I'm 7 months in with my current foster. Maybe 8 months. I'm losing count. I'm still convinced she'll find a home (despite having been sent back to me twice). ANY DAY NOW.

I may have bought her pyjamas the other day. She gets a bit chilly. But she's leaving ANY DAY NOW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

At the end of Feb we'll be 8 years in with our foster dog....😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    At the end of Feb we'll be 8 years in with our foster dog....��

Guess s/he's not going anywhere now huh?!?!? :)

It’s funny, my oh is distrustful of Esmae because she’s quite vocal when she tries to play with Mr C & it can escalate. this evening I showed him how to pick her up in her way, she goes like a rag doll so it’s not easy cause she slides on our floors.

But she is super happy to see him so that’s good.

Two days ago she screamed her head off if anyone went near her. But she will get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

4 years later. I knew the night he came home

• Registered Users Posts: 32 CarolineBee

I think it was on the car journey home, he put his massive head on my lap and fell into the deepest sleep. I rang the rescue the next day to say he’s found his forever home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fitzg

Seven years ago I had my first failed fostering attempt :) absolutely no regrets! She was an orphan kitten a few days old and as soon as I held her in my hand I knew - I still did 'the responsible' thing and rationalised it but I do think you just know when they're the right one for you <3

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kerry37

We took on a big German Shepherd that had been.badly abused, beaten and starved. He ripped up more household items than a hurricane would damage, he broke out of his crate and had bad cuts on his nose which needed lots of TLC, he broke into the upstairs rooms, pulled down and ate expensive blinds, pooped all over the floors, beds and the wardrobe. And caused all kinds of other damage.

That was 8 months ago and now we dont need to use the crates anymore hes become so good. We had a small terrier/collie cross before getting him. They're both 2 and they would be lost without each other now so hes definitely staying.

I wouldn't trade him for the world.

Already sent in the adoption contract:) The rescue keeps running out of fosters...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

How is she settling. Beautuful girl, no wonder you are smitten.

My brother in law was walking his big boxer near a very busy crossroads when he heard barking from the bushes. It was a puppy, who clearly had been dumped from a car and at fitst you could not see her hiding in the bushes. We reckon it was a discarded Christmas puppy.

My Mum said she would hold on to her until she got a chance to take her to the local rescue.

Such a fantastic little personality and never been a days bother. Never as much as a pee on the floor since the day she came over 13 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭mojesius

I'm a failed transporter. A few years ago, I volunteered to drop a few dogs from a Dublin rescue to a Cork rescue, one of them stayed in my car for the return journey back to Dublin. Asleep on the bed now snoring his head off. It was fate that we met! :D

Advertisement