Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Atari and Tipp - I never knew...

• 08-02-2019 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭

Just found this really interesting article after I listened to the "Video Game Newsroom Time Machine" Podcast - I had never know Atari (and later Namco) manufactured it's European arcade cabinets in Tipperary: Article

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Midway and sega also had a little thing going down there. I was looking at an outrun the other day and it has a "made in Ireland" plate on it.

The midway would explain the million killer instincts in Ireland at the time (but just a guess)

Interesting stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭BGOllie

My outrun was made in Ireland. Atari near the end sub let some of their manufacturing lines to a few other game company. Including sega.
    In fact, pure chance, my neighbour's uncle worked at the factory in tipp for many years. His last job was going around servicing the outrun machines on site. I've been trying to get to meet him, but the guy's a bit of a grumpy recluse now it seems and doesn't care to see other people, including his family :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I drove by the plant recently, has a Namco sign on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Frankie Cortese

I enjoyed that read. Thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Great article OP thanks :)

• Advertisement

As an aside to this a couple of years ago i had tipperary glass cut me a new piece for a cocktail cab and the old guy was reproducing told me they used to have the contract for atari. Said he remembered cutting the marquess and bezels, said they had a huge selection of artwork and templates but all were dumped years back. Would have been amazing to get some of that stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

That's cool about the artwork. If I had the money and space when I was younger and just started looking into arcade stuff, I'd be sitting on a mountain of it now. It was worth nothing to most people, but I would have grabbed it all and tried to share it out later. It's one thing having 10 or 20 machines, but 50+ (and 100's sometimes) is too much.

There are people who DID have the means, and still sitting on tons. Not sure if that's all that beneficial when it's kept squirreled away? Slightly better I suppose.

Advertisement