Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why wouldn't you buy an Alfa Romeo? (keep it civilized)

• 29-01-2019 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭

So, a few days ago I was chatting to a friend and fellow Alfista; the shockingly poor sales of the Giulia and Stelvio in Ireland became part of the conversation.

The cars are direct competitors to the 3-Series, A4, X3 and Q5 - which seem to be selling like hotcakes (at least in Dublin), yet there have only been a handful of Giulia and Stelvio sold in the 2 years they've been on the market.

Both received generally glowing reviews in the motoring press, the prices are aligned with the competition and represent something a bit more individual than the "usual suspects".

So...why would YOU not buy one and end up with a BMW/Audi instead? Is it the brand image? The pub talk about reliability? If you bought a 3-Series or an A4 in the last couple of years, did you even consider a Giulia in the lead up to the final decision?

Genuine question folks - please keep silly brand bashing (regardless of brand...) out of this thread.

MODs- didn't post this in the "buying and selling" as it seems to be it's more a question about a car mode/brand's perception, than buying advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    So, a few days ago I was chatting to a friend and fellow Alfista; the shockingly poor sales of the Giulia and Stelvio in Ireland became part of the conversation.

The cars are direct competitors to the 3-Series, A4, X3 and Q5 - which seem to be selling like hotcakes (at least in Dublin), yet there have only been a handful of Giulia and Stelvio sold in the 2 years they've been on the market.

Both received generally glowing reviews in the motoring press, the prices are aligned with the competition and represent something a bit more individual than the "usual suspects".

So...why would YOU not buy one and end up with a BMW/Audi instead? Is it the brand image? The pub talk about reliability? If you bought a 3-Series or an A4 in the last couple of years, did you even consider a Giulia in the lead up to the final decision?

Genuine question folks - please keep silly brand bashing (regardless of brand...) out of this thread.

MODs- didn't post this in the "buying and selling" as it seems to be it's more a question about a car mode/brand's perception, than buying advice.

They're very expensive and unreliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Huge depreciation relative to other marques.

Quality of interior.

Fit and finish not quite as good as the main rivals.

'cos spending more time talking to your mechanic than your wife is weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭viperirl

I'm actually in the process of changing my car and the Alfa Giulia is probably top of my list. I've taken a few test drives in recent weeks and very impressed the way it feels and handles. Very direct steering. It felt special and even though the test drives were short I definitely noticed a few admiring glances at the car.

So why would I not buy one:
    1. Reliability record of Alfa in general doesn't seem to be great. That said, the What Car 2018 Reliability Survey had favorable comments on the Giulia's reliability.
    2. Due to the very poor sales, I'd be concerned that the dealers wouldn't know the car that well in order to be able to fix a problem if it did occur.
    3. New Petrol models are very scarce (apart from the Veloce and Quadrof), only one new Petrol in ROI when I checked last week, I checked with the dealers. Up North there are a few more but not sure if warranty would transfer down here. So difficult to get one in the colour and spec I want.
    4. I love the interior design but the quality of the fittings inside are not as good as BMW/Merc/Audi/Lexus.

I'm still mulling it over....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

between 2001 and 2005 I had two 147's a 1.6 and a 2.0 petrol

never had an issue with them and tbh the 2.0 is still one of my favourites cars

what put me off them was an importer who didn't care along with the dealership experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

I wouldn't buy due to poor Reliability, not great interior and when you go to trade it in no dealer want's to deal with you.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Resale value would be my main concern. I'd be one of those waiting to buy them cheap secondhand though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

I'd say if you bought the Alfa you really like and run it for it's useful life of at least 12-15 years, service it on the button, you could have a very happy driving experience. But most Irish buyers will just not want to think like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I think I'd be terrified of the unknown with it.

I think I could put up with some (minor) reliability quirks, particularly when it's in warranty, but where do you bring it if there's a problem? The dealer network is completely hopeless by all accounts. I'd say there isn't an Alfa dealer within 100 miles of me. Frequent long round trips to a dealer who's struggling with gremlins in a new car is a nightmare no one wants.

Then when you do eventually go to trade it in, you'll be in real bother. No dealer will want it.

That's the perception and it's very hard to shift it, no matter how good the latest models may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Haven't sat in any either of these new models, but previous Alfa's (146/156/159/Giulietta) all had seat bases that were just that bit too long for me to be able to get a really comfortable seating position.

Also - forecasted resale values are very poor in comparison to the BMW/Audi equivalents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Have bought many alfas in my time.
    All second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ya very expensive ownership from new to 3 years due to resale value.
    I b oiught an alfa once at 3 years old with small miles.
    It never stopped on the road or failed to start however I was on first name terms with the parts guy at alfa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

My main problem would be the shocking lack of ability in the local FCA dealer. I know of somebody who went to the dealer with a Fiat. First they said it didn't exist on the Global Fiat system, then it wasn't registered and third charged for a diagnostic that they couldn't understand.

A phone call to Fiat Europe (while in their waiting room) resulted in their lack of ability and lies being exposed (Fiat were able to give all the details of the vehicle, including the recent scan and what the problems were).

TL/DR - Local FCA dealer left a bad taste. Slow to buy an FCA as a result

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Resale value for me is important, so I wouldn't buy a new Alfa. I'd buy a used 3 or 4 years old one though with a proper warranty for a main dealer, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭NoBread

Resale is difficult, dealer network is poor and the dealers aren't great.
    Aside from that though, the reliability isn't terrible. Renault would be worse, and BMW is a long, long way from reliable. Apart from the diesel swirl-flap/timing chain issue, the petrols with their coil packs, injectors, HPFP issues, cooling issues sprinkled throughout the past 30 years, and stupidly expensive parts - none of that seems to deter people from that brand.
    Mercedes from 1995 - 2007 were utter shít, but while they did suffer a slow in sales, no one put them at Alfa levels, even though a C-class at the time was far more likely to break and cost you a lot more than a 156 or 159.
    Audi are a long way off the top too, although more recently are better. People love to use reliability as an excuse, but if that was really the issue then no one would drive anything other than a Lexus.
    VW had some dirt petrol engines for many years, and folk couldn't buy them quick enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

1. Reliability
    2. Depreciation
    3. V6 petrol engines are taxed to death

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Resale value would be my main concern. I'd be one of those waiting to buy them cheap secondhand though!

Enjoy the trip to England so as there won't be any stelvios here second hand

I'd say if you bought the Alfa you really like and run it for it's useful life of at least 12-15 years, service it on the button, you could have a very happy driving experience. But most Irish buyers will just not want to think like this.

We are a fiercely Conservative nation when it comes to buying cars, even buying an automatic is viewed as slightly radical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Because the average Irish car buyer is more concerned with brand and size snobbery than most other countries.

So while you say those Alfas compete against the BMWs, in Ireland that just isnt true. While the inherent merits of both can be argued, it isnt really a discussion relevant to the Irish buyer. Its a non contest. He buys the BMW. Because of an unhealthy keeping-up-with-the-Murphys, and ego culture where people link the status and success of a person to a greater degree than most on the car they drive.

And BMW has acquired the status over the years of the gold standard for arrivistes. It doesnt matter whether it deserves it or not. Having gained that status means that it simply is.

The only other attribute that matters, is size. He likes his longer bigger wider car, because bigger conveys to similarly simple minded people as the driver, that he is a big person. SUV preferable. Big saloon otherwise. Much of the rest of the world (equivalent economically to Ireland), happily buys smaller or lesser regarded marques, because it is chosen on the merits of their need in a car. Not to boost their ego and perception of themselves in the social pecking order. The Irish motorist is simply less sophisticated than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

A big issue in Ireland is that it seems that Alfa Romeo Ireland has no marketing whatsoever and the dealer network is pathetic.
    I’m considering one as a next company car and the dealer experience is really poor. Lack of available models to see and drive and shabby dealer premises is why a lot will end up in BMW, Audi and Mercs.

• Advertisement

maddness wrote: »
    A big issue in Ireland is that it seems that Alfa Romeo Ireland has no marketing whatsoever and the dealer network is pathetic.
    I’m considering one as a next company car and the dealer experience is really poor. Lack of available models to see and drive and shabby dealer premises is why a lot will end up in BMW, Audi and Mercs.

Two of my sisters drive fiat 500,s and deal with tractamotors blanchardstown and they find them fine, don't they do alfa as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Because the average Irish car buyer is more concerned with brand and size snobbery than most other countries.

So while you say those Alfas compete against the BMWs, in Ireland that just isnt true. While the inherent merits of both can be argued, it isnt really a discussion relevant to the Irish buyer. Its a non contest. He buys the BMW. Because of an unhealthy keeping-up-with-the-Murphys, and ego culture where people link the status and success of a person to a greater degree than most on the car they drive.

And BMW has acquired the status over the years of the gold standard for arrivistes. It doesnt matter whether it deserves it or not. Having gained that status means that it simply is.

The only other attribute that matters, is size. He likes his longer bigger wider car, because bigger conveys to similarly simple minded people as the driver, that he is a big person. SUV preferable. Big saloon otherwise. Much of the rest of the world (equivalent economically to Ireland), happily buys smaller or lesser regarded marques, because it is chosen on the merits of their need in a car. Not to boost their ego and perception of themselves in the social pecking order. The Irish motorist is simply less sophisticated than most.

Any idea why 50% of Alfa sales in recent years were in Italy, and 80% of the remainder inside Europe? Maybe the reason the Irish don’t buy them is the same reason everybody else doesn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Horrendous depreciation and lack complete absence of dealer network

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Why wouldn't I buy one? Well, because I can't afford one!

Seriously, Alfa Guilia is just fantastic looking machine, rwd, petrol turbo with 4 doors. It's Alfa too.
    Would love 280hp one, but even 200hp would do me. Thing is, they are way out of my budget and almost no second hand ones.
    If UK car import still a thing in 2020, then it is definitely going on the list of my next car. 2 year old one will do fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

I know the dealer network is pants but I'm genuinely surprised the Guilia isn't selling in larger numbers here.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd say two main reasons:

1. Very few private buyers willing to sink their own money in one new. Yes you will get the odd enthusiast who will do it but they are few and far between. Majority of enthusiasts will probably wait until they are a few years old and buy them for a fraction of their new price.
    2. Fleet managers for the most part won't touch them because when you factor in depreciation/resale values into the leasing equation the monthly costs are just too high to be competitive against the more established competition.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

viperirl wrote: »
    I've taken a few test drives in recent weeks.

Do dealers allow fellas to come down and take cars out for a spin multiple times?

(Genuine question)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I would consider and have considered an Alfa. A few years back I badly wanted an 159 Sortswagon Lusso Auto. I really wanted/want an estate and I love my auto box but auto wasnt essential. Loved the 159, was/is some car. Cracking design, stunning interior, something that not everybody has, was absolutely hellbent on it. Still think it's a lovely car.

What put me off was the following. I had to look at second hand since I just couldn't wouldn't afford a new one. But there were very few available, even in the UK. And what was there had a poor choice of engines. The petrols were virtually impossible to get and absolute emission pigs, and the too diesels were very poor in terms of emissions and therefore VRT and motor tax. The 1.9 jtdm was weakish for a relatively high emission car and again the 2.4 was an absolute pig. I would have been nearly in the same disastrous bracket as my old pre 2008 Beemer. In the end I bought a 3 series estate which I'm very happy with.

Giulia is a lovely car, too, but I gonna drive my 3 series for a few more years at least, possible quite a few, I don't change often.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭viperirl

Do dealers allow fellas to come down and take cars out for a spin multiple times?

(Genuine question)

In my case I was at the Alfa Test Drive Event in Killashee House in Naas last December where I got to drive the diesel and the Veloce, you had to sign up beforehand. Since then I've managed 2 test drives in a petrol in each of the Dublin dealers.

I absolutely adore the cars but the major sticking point for me is the dealer network or lack thereof.

Think I'll wait for the new 3 series in March but will most likely wait for a demo model of a 330i towards the end of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

Know a lad that has one and he constantly bangs on about the emotional attachment he has with Alfa’s. Claiming you can’t be a true Alfista unless you’re emotionally attached to it.

Advertisement