Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind Warning Sat 26 PM to Sun 27 AM Jan 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭pauldry

Wind has arrived in Dublin now apparently.

Cue media frenzy

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

In the space of 15 minutes, massive change here in Dublin 10. Only in the door a few minutes and the wind has massively picked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrDerp

jackrussel wrote: »
    the wind here in cork city (ballinlough) is pretty crazy right now.

I’m nearby. Windier that’s I’ve heard in a while, plenty of gusts hitting my usually quite sheltered house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

It's at least orange here in Cork...big surprise this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

10pm, Cork airport gusting 54 knots!

(Shannon 41 knots)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Simple_Simone

...also Cardiff to SNN which is currently off the Cork Coast.

Would that have the Munster rugby team and supporters on board by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭aisling86

It's at least orange here in Cork...big surprise this!!

Absolutely howling here in mid cork too. Couldn't believe how quickly it picked up. Winds quite sustained too.
    #macroom

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

10pm, Cork airport gusting 54 knots!

(Shannon 41 knots)

Well thats above forecast!

Douglas looks to have lost power too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Blowing hard again in Galway city. Forgotten what this kind of weather was like!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I missed that one, maybe diverting to Cork but from reports not going to be much calmer there.

That's not how it works, Shannon has an almost complete crosswind, Cork, despite having stronger winds, has almost no crosswind whatsoever, so is much more favourable to land.

• Advertisement

• Any signs that the forecasts aren't saying for Dublin Monday morning? Flying and worried

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Reported strong winds have not arrived in Waterford City yet. Relatively calm out there.

www.waterfordweather.com

Well thats above forecast!

Douglas looks to have lost power too.

Only by 4 knots (as per TAF) and 54kts is only 100km/h, well within a yellow warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

wouldn't like to be on that plane coming into cork - the one diverted from shannon

Any signs that the forecasts aren't saying for Dublin Monday morning? Flying and worried

Think about this logically, has a marginal wind event ever lasted 36+ hours?

No disruption to flights in any airport other than Shannon also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Big gust of wind here in South Dublin just now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Only by 4 knots (as per TAF) and 54kts is only 100km/h, well within a yellow warning.

never said it was above a yellow, wasn't it meant to reach 50kts at about 4am? Still learning how to read these TAF's

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Monkeynut wrote: »
    Does this wind have a name? or is it not classified as a storm. just strong winds?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Yeah strange that

This is stronger than anything the last year up in Donegal that had a name attached to it.

It's probably not going to hit Dublin as bad then.

Now lads i'm from Dublin too.

never said it was above a yellow, wasn't it meant to reach 50kts at about 4am? Still learning how to read these TAF's

No, from 9pm-11pm.

The remark about it being within yellow was not at you, but directed at another user who said it's at least orange in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

In the red cow Hotel facing naas say and the wind has picked up out of blue trees outside all over the shop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

We're getting hail now that sounds like white noise behind the gusts -

South Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Power gone in Donnybrook/Castletreasure and parts of Dougals.
    Wind is howling

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Malin Head gusting 119 km/hr on the 22.00 report, speeds dropping very slightly.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Wind has arrived all of a sudden in Dublin 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

10pm

Malin Head gusting 64 knots
    Mace head 59 knots
    Roaches point 57 knots

Xenji wrote: »
    Malin Head gusting 119 km/hr on the 22.00, speeds dropping very slightly.

Cold front has moved through perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Cold front has moved through perhaps?

I'd say so, I doubt the previous max of 66kts will be topped tonight, still going to be a wild night though in some parts.

• JCX BXC wrote:
    Think about this logically, has a marginal wind event ever lasted 36+ hours?

Sorry. Logic goes out the window when it comes to me and flying. Such a wimp

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

After taking the dog out for a pee ....mental wind outside cork city ... everything is fizzing ...mad stuff ....the road is covered in debris ....kicked most of it off for my good Samaritan deed ...no rain mind

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Wind has arrived in Waterford City, Gusts to 54km/h, Raining and temp dropping to 7.2c. Interesting few hours ahead

www.waterfordweather.com

Advertisement