Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Case 885xl with water in the block

• 24-01-2019 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭

Neighbour has an 885xl that's been parked outside for a few months sadly. He said he wanted to get it going again so I gave him a hand. Checked it for oil and seen alot of water on the dipstick so I was afraid water had got into the sump. We let the oil go and sure enough there was alot of water in the oil that I'm guessing has come in down through the exhaust is where else could it get into?

To get it going I'm thinkibg of doing the following
    Put a can on the exhaust to stop any more water going in.
    Change oil filter
    Take out injectors and turn the engine over to push out any water sitting in the cylinders
    Put back together,bleed and start.

Should I look at anything else??

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

If water has got into engine the cylinder walls will be damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

Taking out the injectors is a big enough job and don't forget that you have to put them back in and get them to seal, and put back on all of the pipes without cracking one. :rolleyes:

I have seen lots of engine issues in the past and in my experience, an engine that is hydraulically locked (either fuel or water) wont actually damage itself just buy trying to turn it on the starter. If it tries to fire on an unaffected cylinder immediately (which it won't if its been sitting for a while), or if it was running at the time the water entered, that's obviously a different story.

I'm sure there is plenty will disagree with me, but have revived many dead engines in my time.

Personally I would turn the engine over by hand to see how free to turn it actually is. A socket on the front pully or remove the starter motor an turn it with a bar on the ring gear.

Now, taking out the injectors is obviously the ideal solution, as it allows you to lubricate the cylinder walls, inspect inside and build oil pressure with out any load on the bearings, I just wouldn't put myself to all that work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭muddle84

That's for the detailed reply. The engine wasn't running when the water entered and it hasn't ran since either. I'm going to tackle this Saturday and see how I get on.

Advertisement