Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Has ignoring red lights gotten a lot worse?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I'm delighted this has been highlighted. I've been saying for ages that the only solution to the problem is cameras at lights. I've nearly been mown down at Christchurch in the last few months. Idiots turning right from Lord Edward St down Christchurch Hill on red lights every single time I'm waiting to cross. Ditto at St Colmcilles Way/Ballycullen Road. I was tempted at one stage to carry eggs to fire at the miscreants but that wouldn't be a good idea. Cameras and €100 fines are the only answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

The culture has changed too. I remember a few years ago where someone ran a red light people would actually beep at them and be quite shocked.

Somehow that changed and now it's become accepted as normal.

There needs to be a hard crackdown on it with camera enforcement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Kalimah wrote: »
    I'm delighted this has been highlighted. I've been saying for ages that the only solution to the problem is cameras at lights. I've nearly been mown down at Christchurch in the last few months. Idiots turning right from Lord Edward St down Christchurch Hill on red lights every single time I'm waiting to cross. Ditto at St Colmcilles Way/Ballycullen Road. I was tempted at one stage to carry eggs to fire at the miscreants but that wouldn't be a good idea. Cameras and €100 fines are the only answer.

Both of those are on my commute home. At every change of sequence there are examples of people flooring it on amber or when it has just changed to red.

You want your wits about you going through these junctions as any type of road user.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

BronsonTB wrote: »
    OP - Maybe a poll would have been better to post to get more responses?

Almost 100 responses in less than 24 hours is not bad for a thread! I think a poll is not needed really as the general consensus is that it has gotten worse. My thread title question was almost rhetorical really as I know from my 25 years of driving and longer as a road user of other sorts that it has gotten worse. I just wanted it to call it out as to how shocking it has and how dreadful the consequences can be and are. :(

Some very good points and eyeopeners being raised here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Grand canal street is really bad as a pedestrian. The cars are all stuck in traffic and two or three will ignore the lights and go through to the smaller roads or they are sitting on the yellow box and will go once they can regardless of lights. As a pedestrian it is extremely dangerous I have had two or three near misses crossing on green light for me. I am fairly quick moving but a child or elderly person could have very easily been hit.

I should be able to walk up the road without taking my life in my hands. Same with cyclits there you really have to look out for them on that stretch.

It is as if they don't even see you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I have noticed it has increased a lot over the past few months. I walk to work in a mid sizes town. I cross at two sets of traffic lights up to recent months I can think of two incidents when a car drove when the man was green (in about 7 years). In the last few months it is happening every other week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

the varg wrote: »
    I almost got clipped as I stepped out with the green man in my favor as a guy broke the lights. I gave his car a slap with my hand and he hits the anchors, jumps out screaming don't touch my car. I was ready for it to turn physical as I am standing in the middle of the road saying don't break the lights, I won't touch your car. I think he realized he was in the wrong or either he thought I ain't got the beating of this guy but he jumps back in his car screaming abuse at me.
    I had the same thing happen me over the summer. A guy in an SUV turns left on a straight ahead arrow from Pearse St onto Westland Row and meets a crowd of 10 or 15 pedestrians crossing at a green man. He stops at first when a woman points out the issue to him, then changes his mind and proceeds to drive through the crowd. I gave the car a slap (shock, anger, fear? I know I shouldn't have but whatever emotion it was was pretty high). He drives on but then stops in the middle of the road, gets out, starts chasing after me down the road and there's a scuffle. A passer by intervened and at that point he seemed to come to his senses and went back to his car.

The problem is once a % of drivers start doing things like that it can very rapidly become endemic.

It's down to lack of cop on and lack of cops and road raging idiots.

I would be of the view that if you do something that is akin to road rage you should be given a driving ban. That would include things like getting out of a car and chasing people. It says an awful lot about your temperament and risk behind the wheel.

I would also think your insurers should be informed. Getting a few people like that appropriately risk loaded would potentially reduce the bill for the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,304 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Breezer wrote: »
    I had the same thing happen me over the summer. A guy in an SUV turns left on a straight ahead arrow from Pearse St onto Westland Row and meets a crowd of 10 or 15 pedestrians crossing at a green man. He stops at first when a woman points out the issue to him, then changes his mind and proceeds to drive through the crowd. I gave the car a slap (shock, anger, fear? I know I shouldn't have but whatever emotion it was was pretty high). He drives on but then stops in the middle of the road, gets out, starts chasing after me down the road and there's a scuffle. A passer by intervened and at that point he seemed to come to his senses and went back to his car.

A slap is the least he deserved. Some response like that is important to mark your displeasure. There has to be some deterrent, some tax to be paid by the offender.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

A slap is the least he deserved. Some response like that is important to mark your displeasure. There has to be some deterrent, some tax to be paid by the offender.
    True. Unfortunately I'm not the biggest guy in the world. I agree with 90% of the posters above, a camera on the junction would have been very helpful! Ditto for bus lane abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,304 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Here's a short compilation of the red-light-jumping junction-blocking drivers of Dublin, opening with Macken St, the junction that keeps on giving;

https://streamable.com/mtunz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Infirmary Road onto Parkgate Street in Dublin, lights are merely a suggestion apparently they just go well after red! And Gardai there at the Court House the whole time!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Here's a short compilation of the red-light-jumping junction-blocking drivers of Dublin, opening with Macken St, the junction that keeps on giving;

https://streamable.com/mtunz

You broke a red light in one and another cyclist did in another. Pot, kettle, black! Green men are for pedestrians only. By law you broke a red light.

The Road Traffic Act applies to all road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

prinzeugen wrote: »
    You broke a red light in one and another cyclist did in another. Pot, kettle, black! Green men are for pedestrians only. By law you broke a red light.

The Road Traffic Act applies to all road users.

No, cyclists can do what they like. Red light cameras are indeed needed, but even if they are installed they will not prosecute the cyclists recorded on them.

Part of the issue here compared to the continent is lack of local police in cities.

If you look at the way things work in most countries you've city police who are more like a level above parking wardens who can handle things like enforcement of traffic law at busy junctions at peak times and issue tickets for things like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

No, cyclists can do what they like. Red light cameras are indeed needed, but even if they are installed they will not prosecute the cyclists recorded on them.

I've always been an absolute stickler for stopping at every red light on the bike, no matter how deserted a junction may be, and would always say there is no excuse for cyclists breaking red lights. But, if you witness this kind of thing every day, (not my video) you cannot argue that a cyclist breaking a red is equal to a motorist doing it.

https://twitter.com/cavan97/status/1075653723504984064

What's changed that this has come to be acceptable ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

EdgeCase wrote: »
    What's changed that this has come to be acceptable ?

No fear of punishment, probably been building since gardai/traffic corps numbers reduced. It's a snowball effect - people see others do it more frequently and get away with it. Even when there are gardai about, they have very little 'presence'.

If it's not tackled, I would just predict you'll see a rise in pedestrian deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭downtheroad

A few weeks ago I saw an artic lorry accelerate towards the junction of New Wapping St and the quays because the lights went amber. He was a good 50 metres away from the junction at this time. Lights went red for him and several seconds later he turned out on to the quays. Was tempted to report him but it would be my word against his.

I lived in Sydney for a few years and they have red light cameras on many junctions which work fantastically well, and as somebody mentioned earlier there is a very bright flash if you get caught so you know instantly.

I emailed Shane Ross suggesting these be implemented in Ireland and that they would pay for themselves in fines generated, but was told by his secretary that it is not a matter for the Minister for Transport, and I should contact the Minister for Justice as it is a policing matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

I live in Galway. Travel across the city twice daily for work.

The amount of people running reds lights is absolutely ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Regardless of the false equivalence of consequences, why couldn't cameras be used against cyclists? Particularly at commuter times.

That's where the input of the gardai could be effective on foot of the camera's, to identify offenders from cameras, or they would give evidence of what junctions to target for enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,881 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Regardless of the false equivalence of consequences, why couldn't cameras be used against cyclists? Particularly at commuter times.

That's where the input of the gardai could be effective on foot of the camera's, to identify offenders from cameras, or they would give evidence of what junctions to target for enforcement.

How would you identify a cyclist from a photograph? There are no number plates to allow a straightforward lookup. And thankfully we're not in an era of facial recognition surveillance yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

So since everyone is in favour of red light cameras, how about writing letters to your local TDs, the Minister, and opposition spokespeople on Justice and transport?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Carlingford Locked

I've been trying to take note of how many cars break red lights in Dublin city, as I'm sick to death of any mention of cyclists, who aren't a danger to anyone except themselves really, being associated with red light breaking etc., as if breaking a red light on a bicycle is leading to the downfall of civilisation as we know it.
    This morning 3 cars broke the red light coming onto the bridge at North Strand from Crosby's Yard. Merrion Sq onto Merrion row, 3 cars kept going while light was red to make the turn. Saw 2 other cars race through amber/red near my house too.
    Also nearly every day I have civilian cars right up my arse in bus lanes. Apparently if there's a turn you're taking up to 500m away or so, they think it's ok to be in the bus lane as they're turning left.
    So the anti cyclist med and car drivers can f*ck the f*ck off. Cyclists aren't the ones killing and maiming people. Any article about a cyclist death on the Journal, the commenters all blame the cyclist. Not the machine heap of metal flying around the place at 100km/h.
    There was a poor woman pedestrian killed by a car in Galway I think a few weeks ago. Again the blame pointed at pedestrians not being visible. Maybe we should go around lit up like Xmas trees.
    Our country is way too carcentric and they seem to have all the sway. I can't see it changing any time either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Macy0161 wrote: »

Stark wrote: »
    How would you identify a cyclist from a photograph? There are no number plates to allow a straightforward lookup. And thankfully we're not in an era of facial recognition surveillance yet.

It is actually incredibly simple. RL camera, as well as ANPR, an observer can highlight places with high levels of repeat light breaking, as well as take snapshots of offenders faces. Most cyclists reuse the same route for commuting. Post a three person team to literally pull them over, out of the queue in the morning (they are able to do it to hand out ****ty Hi Vis), and hand them the fine. If there is confusion over their ID or non acceptance, sieze the bike until they turn up at the station. It really is beautifully simple.

Should we be capturing jaywalker's faces on camera too? I would imagine they're about as dangerous to traffic as cyclists are. Some of the stupid sh*t you see in town, people just walk straight out in front of buses etc. Why is it only a problem if you're on a bike for people?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 greenwaving

CramCycle wrote: »
    It is actually incredibly simple. RL camera, as well as ANPR, an observer can highlight places with high levels of repeat light breaking, as well as take snapshots of offenders faces. Most cyclists reuse the same route for commuting. Post a three person team to literally pull them over, out of the queue in the morning (they are able to do it to hand out ****ty Hi Vis), and hand them the fine. If there is confusion over their ID or non acceptance, sieze the bike until they turn up at the station. It really is beautifully simple.

But why go to all that trouble using valuable and limited time and resources? What impact will it have other than to make individuals like yourself feel better about themselves? The little boy in the OP was killed by vehicle. I don't know of any red-light breaking cyclists who have killed other road users but I do know vehicles have. Given the pressures the guards are under and the reality that there is not a limitless money pot of resources to throw at this problem surely the focus should be on those that are likely to cause danger/risk to life - vehicle drivers.

I cycle. I don't break red lights. I see lots of other cyclists obeying the lights. I also see other cyclists who don't. Antidotely I see more cars break the lights than any cyclist. Sure it annoys me when cyclists go through red lights because unfortunately people like to lump us all together as a homogeneous group so their behaviour gives the rest of us a bad name and provides ammunition for keyboardwarriers/joe duffy callers. But I also recognise that the risk of this behaviour to anyone other than themselves is usually pretty minimal. I don't condone it but I really don't think we should be ploughing money into 3 man teams to be set up at 'cyclists-running-red-lights-black-spots' in order to catch the idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

Should we be capturing jaywalker's faces on camera too? I would imagine they're about as dangerous to traffic as cyclists are. Some of the stupid sh*t you see in town, people just walk straight out in front of buses etc. Why is it only a problem if you're on a bike for people?
    I think the main difference to be fair is the jaywalker isn't a chunk of steel weighing the bones of a tonne.

• Advertisement

engiweirdo wrote: »
    I think the main difference to be fair is the jaywalker isn't a chunk of steel weighing the bones of a tonne.

I'm referring to someone above wanting to capture cyclist's faces that are breaking lights. If they're going to do bikes, they may as well do jaywalkers too.

Advertisement