Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google Home Hub

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

mx5ire wrote: »
    Does it work - actually show video feed - from Ring Doorbell - which apparently works with 'normal' google home ?
    No, for exactly the reason you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Dayo93 wrote: »
    Powercity and currys have them reduced online 39 I think for the mini and 100 for the main one

Mini is 35 in Curry's, picked up a second one this evening.

Anyone know if I could link some generic IP cameras to the home hub? I'm running 3 wansview cameras.

Alternatively the Lenovo 8 inch looks good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

so is sound quality on Google Home Hub as good as the original home? Will be in USA next week and may pick up to replace my original home.

BailMeOut wrote: »
    so is sound quality on Google Home Hub as good as the original home? Will be in USA next week and may pick up to replace my original home.

I read it's better than the mini but the bass isn't as good as the original home.

PaulKK wrote: »
    I read it's better than the mini but the bass isn't as good as the original home.

mmh - that's not good. Quality of the original home is fab.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

adox wrote: »
    This is supposed to be reduced to £100 next Friday.

Doubt that's the home hub given its barely a few months old?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭irishchris

Doubt that's the home hub given its barely a few months old?

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/google-home-hub-99-deal-starts-22nd-99-google-store-3105656

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

The UK play store says it has black Friday sales all weekend, the home hub has no reduction, anyone think it will get a reduction?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

jogdish wrote: »
    The UK play store says it has black Friday sales all weekend, the home hub has no reduction, anyone think it will get a reduction?

See above link, its supposed to be dropped to £99

Theres the Lenovo marked down already - cant make up my mind, size of Google hub is nice and small so won't dominate a table but the Lenovo has a camera...

https://www.very.co.uk/lenovo-smart-display-8-inch-tablet-with-the-google-assistant/1600314757.prd?_requestid=649582&Ntt=lenovo smart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

See above link, its supposed to be dropped to £99

Theres the Lenovo marked down already - cant make up my mind, size of Google hub is nice and small so won't dominate a table but the Lenovo has a camera...

https://www.very.co.uk/lenovo-smart-display-8-inch-tablet-with-the-google-assistant/1600314757.prd?_requestid=649582&Ntt=lenovo smart

Camera would be excellent for calls with Google Duo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Has the Home Hub dropped to £99- I see it as £139?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,438 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Has the Home Hub dropped to £99- I see it as £139?

From the HDUK link deal starts next Thursday.

"Google Home Hub £99 (deal starts 22nd) £99 @ Google store"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Anyone who has this can tell me what the power supply is? Is it a cable that can be swapped out? I live in France but can't find it on any European stores, could use a UK to EU adapter but would prefer to avoid doing so if possible

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭Frunchy

BailMeOut wrote: »
    mmh - that's not good. Quality of the original home is fab.

Hope you're joking, any pair of budget bookshelf speakers will blow it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

PaulKK wrote: »

Will the Google UK store accept an Irish credit card with a parcel motel address?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Will the Google UK store accept an Irish credit card with a parcel motel address?

It’s worked for me twice now so should be good.

Disappointed by how small the screen is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Frunchy wrote: »
    Disappointed by how small the screen is.

The screen size has been stated all over the place. It’s not like you didn’t know beforehand.

We’re you planning to watch TV on it? Why the disappointment?

OU812 wrote: »
    The screen size has been stated all over the place. It’s not like you didn’t know beforehand.

We’re you planning to watch TV on it? Why the disappointment?

I haven't bought the hub, don't intend to either.
    2nd gen Echo Show is 10 inches, I expected Google to make it that big at least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

There's third party ones like the Lenovo that have webcam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

There's third party ones like the Lenovo that have webcam

And a ten inch screen, without having to be Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Question on Google Photos integration for those who have set it up:

Can it be set up to show all photos stored in an account, or do you have to select specific albums? If it can randomly show all photos, can 'certain photos' ;) be filtered out from the stream?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

If it's anything like the setup for the phone used on the pixel stand then it's just albums.

sound quality my Google home is really good. It is in our kitchen and on all day every day playing music and the radio and is up there with the kettle and toaster as a must have appliance. I'd only replace with a screen version if the sound quality was as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

I’m getting one for the bedroom to replace a mini so the smaller form factor is ideal for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Not being funny.

But who wants a ten inch screen on the sideboard.

This is meant as an occasional user interface to the Google home system. It's not for watching hours of TV. Even it's shape isn't meant for that unless you intend learning against the sideboard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Perhaps the wrong place to ask, but I am assuming people here might be using AddressPal? Can I ask is this the correct way to type the address into the GooglePlay store? See attached image, where the RED is blocking

*Mr Jogdish* AP *all the numbers*

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

In my living room I've a Denon AV hooked up to a 5.1 high end speakers, with a Google Chromecast Audio attached. And yet about 95% of the time, I don't bother with all that and just use the Google Home in the same room for playing music.

The GH is fine for day to day casual music listening IMO. It isn't worth the extra 10 seconds to bother turning on the Denon etc.

Having said that, in my bedroom I do have my GH Mini hooked up via CCA to a lovely pair of AudioEngine 5 bookshelf speakers. But again I wouldn't sweet it too much unless you are a real audiophile and trying to blow the walls off.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Not being funny.

But who wants a ten inch screen on the sideboard.

This is meant as an occasional user interface to the Google home system. It's not for watching hours of TV. Even it's shape isn't meant for that unless you intend learning against the sideboard

Nether is the Echo Show, but a larger screen is always preferred. Not like 10 inches is huge anyways.

The hub's uses include displaying photo albums, weather reports etc. A bigger screen would help in these cases.

Advertisement