Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Armstrong Cup 2018-19

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

Rathminor wrote: »
    Prediction,

1st Gonzaga A - even without Conor, they shouldn’t need the overseas players to retain the title
    2nd Dublin University
    3rd Kilkenny

If David & Alvaro play, I would revise Elm Mount up into second

Relegation:

Blanchardstown - although they have started very well in round 1
    Dun Laoghaire - would need to have Tom play a lot if they are to avoid the drop

Gonzaga A team does indeed still look impressive and will be hard to prepare for if they mix up their board order between 2 and 6. We play them next.

I would expect David Fitzsimons is going to play most of Elm Mount's matches but Alvaro Valdes Escobar will not be returning. He told me at the Rapid that he had finished his course of study. After acting as captain of the Chilean women's team in the olympiad, he is planning a holiday, then playing some chess in Spain before going home.

Kilkenny look strong on paper but how often will their big guns play?

Dublin are easy to underestimate because if strong foreigners arrive in town, they tend to gravitate there because they find the club's website.

Cdeb seemed to imply Balbriggan have lost Bart but he is on their declared team. Is he away temporarily?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I had heard he was moving home. I suppose we'll see shortly.

Interesting to note Alvaro is on the Wood Green squad in the European Club Cup (Elm Mount were invited at short notice, but declined). It looks like he may be paired against St Benildus in the first round on Friday week.

cdeb wrote: »
    I had heard he was moving home. I suppose we'll see shortly.

Interesting to note Alvaro is on the Wood Green squad in the European Club Cup (Elm Mount were invited at short notice, but declined). It looks like he may be paired against St Benildus in the first round on Friday week.

Interesting. He did mention the Club Cup to me, so it's possible his visa allows him to return here for a while before and after that, but he seemed pretty definite he was leaving Ireland when he spoke to me mid-September. I guess he wouldn't want to be lugging all his belongings around Europe while playing tournaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

It is a week since the Armstrong started and still there is no update on the Leinster Leagues website. Would it not make sense to give the captains of the Armstrong teams access to the website so that they could update the results and the league table themselves immediately after the matches finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

sodacat11 wrote: »
    It is a week since the Armstrong started and still there is no update on the Leinster Leagues website. Would it not make sense to give the captains of the Armstrong teams access to the website so that they could update the results and the league table themselves immediately after the matches finish?
    Assuming it's the same software as ever, the league controller waits for both captains to send in their results (which differ surprisingly often, usually a typo), and periodically sends an update to the overall leagues controller who updates the site. It's a slow process, more focussed on accuracy than speed. Replacing it would be a bit of a job though.

• Advertisement

mikhail wrote: »
    Assuming it's the same software as ever, the league controller waits for both captains to send in their results (which differ surprisingly often, usually a typo), and periodically sends an update to the overall leagues controller who updates the site. It's a slow process, more focussed on accuracy than speed. Replacing it would be a bit of a job though.

There's scope for somebody to run an unofficial Armstrong site with scores from what is reported here and on the ICU ticker.

That is saying Balbriggan 3.5 Rathmines 4.5

It's improved this year; one result is enough to update the site, and the second will at worst flag an issue to be resolved (eg a different result)

It's going to be slowest for round 1 when everyone's declaring their team, etc. Should be quicker thereafter. The divisional controllers now update the website automatically without any need to email the webmaster a file

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Rathminor

Interesting declaration by Bray/Greystones.

Michael De Verdier is in for Bray

Colm is not on the initial Squad declared.

With Eric moved up from the Heidenfeld, Bray look very solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Retd.LoyolaCpt

Rathminor wrote: »
    Interesting declaration by Bray/Greystones.

Michael De Verdier is in for Bray

Colm is not on the initial Squad declared.

With Eric moved up from the Heidenfeld, Bray look very solid.

David Fitzsimons seems to be taking a year off from Armstrong too. He deserves a rest after his tremendous exploits this week.

Good to see Trinity strengthened.

David Fitzsimons seems to be taking a year off from Armstrong too. He deserves a rest after his tremendous exploits this week.

Good to see Trinity strengthened.

Someone recently questioned the stamina of us "oldies" here yet now we hear that much younger players "deserve a rest" after playing chess for just over a week . I once played 140 five minute games in a 26 hour session with no sleep against a friend (Guy Lyons) that I hadn't seen for some years, things were different before the snowflake generation. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭macelligott

It's improved this year; one result is enough to update the site, and the second will at worst flag an issue to be resolved (eg a different result).
    e

This doesn’t seem to be the case. I submitted the Elm Mount result last week and it is not posted yet. The Dublin captain was a bit late with submission because he was away on business and then he had some technical difficulties submitting result. But my submission has been in for a week.

Trust me; I'm a doctor.

Or a divisional controller, which is basically the same thing.

One result is all that's required for the divisional controller to update the website. So two steps are gone - the second result, and the leagues controller.

It may be just that the divisional controller hasn't gotten around to it yet, or that there's been work to be done elsewhere in getting all the divisions up and running (I know I've had queries)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Past_Pawn_99

Final Result:

Dublin University 7 - 1 Dun Laoghaire

Final Result:

Dublin University 7 - 1 Dun Laoghaire

OUCH

I may have to change my relegation predition........Dun Laoghaire and Balbriggan to go down (although Blanchardstown aren't safe either).

OUCH

I may have to change my relegation predition........Dun Laoghaire and Balbriggan to go down (although Blanchardstown aren't safe either).

Well, you said you would [change it] - Mourinho is not our manager. Although he may be looking for a new job soon, he can look elsewhere.
    Dun Laoghaire - would need to have Tom play a lot if they are to avoid the drop.

Agreed; either him or they need to recruit another 1900-2000 player who can turn out regularly. D.L. have only declared eight players so far, including Tom, and against us they played Peter Jackson who is declared on their Heidenfeld team. So if they intend to muddle through with a sub in every match it puts a lot of pressure on Tony Fox, who was one of their two players to draw.

As to the division picture as a whole, Gonzaga A v Gonzaga B needs to be played soon to be fair to the other teams, and to ensure that rounds 1 and 2 can be sent to FIDE for rating on time before the end of October.

All Armstrong results now updated except for the postponed Gonzaga A v B

One wonders how Pawel Bratko (2212) has played on board 6, behind four players 150 points lower rated?

Edit - it's a provisional rating based on 1 game in last year's Armstrong. So that's presumably fair enough as one game is not a rating. He has no FIDE rating to go by either.

Ominous for Dún Laoghaire to be so comprehensively hammered by what's not that strong an Armstrong team (one 2000+ player)

All Armstrong results now updated except for the postponed Gonzaga A v B

One wonders how Pawel Bratko (2212) has played on board 6, behind four players 150 points lower rated?

I don't think he has any real rating. Our captain said that 2212 was just a provisional based on one game as a sub last season and so it has no statistical validity and should not have been published.

On the FIDE list he is only 1705 blitz. That was only from one or two Irish tournaments, I think.

The division controller agreed to accept his registration at 1900 so that is the end of the matter I think. He did win his first game but we shall see how he fares against stronger opponents later.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Rathminor

The player only has the one Armstrong game on Fide from round 10 last year, so it seems fair enough to start him at 1900.

I would have been very happy to be considered a 1900 level player at the time of playing my first ratings match, as opposed to starting at circa 1000 and working upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Past_Pawn_99

Gonzaga A 2 - 4 Dublin University

2 to play at later dates.

I heard Elm Mount v Dun Laoghaire tonight was close too; does anyone have the final score?

Aleixei Bottino was playing the last game in the IM Norm League at the same venue, and he beat De Verdier.

According to the fixture list Rathmines v Gonzaga B is tomorrow and the other matches on Saturday.

I think Gonzaga A v B from round one will be on some time next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭EnPassant

Dun Laoghaire 2.5 Elm Mount 5.5

Gonzaga A 2 - 4 Dublin University

2 to play at later dates.

Is Gonzaga's domination about to end?
    This prompted me to wonder just how many teams have won the Armstrong and how often and this led to an interesting find
    https://irishchesshistory.wordpress.com/provinces/armstrong-cup/

I'm surprised that Bray has never won it, I would have thought that they had.

EnPassant wrote: »
    Dun Laoghaire 2.5 Elm Mount 5.5

Not looking good for Dun Laoghaire, they had 7.5 points from their opening two fixtures last year and only 3.5 this year. Also, Gonzaga "B" and Blanchardstown look a lot stronger than the two teams who were relegated last year.
    The Rathmines v Gonzaga "B" match should be a nail biter tonight. I forecast 4-4

Not looking good for Dun Laoghaire, they had 7.5 points from their opening two fixtures last year and only 3.5 this year. Also, Gonzaga "B" and Blanchardstown look a lot stronger than the two teams who were relegated last year.
    The Rathmines v Gonzaga "B" match should be a nail biter tonight. I forecast 4-4

Yes, DL need to target at least three matches they can win and bring Tom O'G over for them, or find a new high board player.

Looking forward to seeing the result of Rathmines tonight. It looks like a clash of the bright juniors but with a couple of doughty old-timers in the mix.

Should indeed be a good match tonight; most boards very closely matched I'd guess - one game on Monday, seven tonight.

From Sean Coffey's site - Bray did win the Armstrong twice:
    http://www.irlchess.com/teamevents/armstrong-cup/

I wouldn't be writing the "A" team's Obituary just yet - great result and start for Trinity though. Gonzaga staring down the barrell of their first Armstrong match loss since October 2013 (I don't count the deducted points draw/loss last year - although others may) but could still rescue it with 2/2. The B team will be out for blood too of course :) That A vs B match starts tonight too with one game, while the rest will play after the school gets back from Millfield at the weekend.

When I left tonight the best that Rathmines looked like getting out of the seven games played is 1.5 pts and that is being optimistic :(

When I left tonight the best that Rathmines looked like getting out of the seven games played is 1.5 pts and that is being optimistic :(

Final score, anyone?

Now Gonzaga 3 Trinity 4 with one to be scheduled.

Rathmines 1.5-5.5 Gonzaga B; McCabe-McMorrow on Monday.

Gonzaga B 0-1 Gonzaga A.

Bragging rights still with the Bs for now having both played 8 games:
    Gonzaga B 5.5
    Gonzaga A 4

:)

Gonzaga B 0-1 Gonzaga A.

Gonzaga B 5.5
    Gonzaga A 4

"Bs" is not a very complimentary name LOL . I usually reserve such titles for the likes of Man U and Spurs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭zeitnot

Gonzaga B 0-1 Gonzaga A.

Gonzaga B 5.5
    Gonzaga A 4

"Bs" is not a very complimentary name LOL . I usually reserve such titles for the likes of Man U and Spurs.
    I thought Gonzaga 'B' was going to be "Loyola".

Advertisement