Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Th 1916 Era: Things I don't understand

• 01-04-2018 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭

A number of things about the 1916 era that I have always failed to understand and wondering can anyone address.

If I was a young man in my mid twenties in the years before the Rising and I wanted to become politically involved, I guess I would listen to and probably join Sinn Fein. Maybe I might think the IPP had had its day and I wanted something more dynamic. Am I right in saying that Sinn Fein at that time was in favour of some form of independence without using violence to achieve that?

If I was prepared to fight for Irish independence, wouldn't I have joined the IRB? An organisation long in existence. Experienced. An illegal organisation? Dedicated men?

Why would I join the Irish Volunteers in lieu of the IRB? What reason would I have to do that? Why were there two such militant organisations? The IVs were formed in 1914, I think, and involved in gun running, drilling etc. Why weren't the IRB doing the same? What would the leadership of the IRB (Who led it in fact at that time?) make of this new upstart organisation trying to move in to our patch.

Were some people members of both the IRB and the Volunteers? Why?

If the Volunteers were openly drilling, why didn't the legitimate government of the day ie the London government immediately clamp down and ban this organisation from day one and arrest all those drilling. Surely there can be no more direct threat to democracy that men drilling, gun running etc?

When Pearse declared a Republic at what point did the government recognize it? The 1918 election as an election throughout the British Isles and when the Dail met it approved a Constitution. They declared themselves the Irish Government!

How can the British Government accept this for one minute? Since when do parts of a country go around and declare their own governments with their own constitution?

Was this 'Dail' (self proclaimed) legal or illegal? When was it recognized?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Historybluff

bobbyss wrote: »
    If I was a young man in my mid twenties in the years before the Rising and I wanted to become politically involved, I guess I would listen to and probably join Sinn Fein. Maybe I might think the IPP had had its day and I wanted something more dynamic. Am I right in saying that Sinn Fein at that time was in favour of some form of independence without using violence to achieve that?

Yes, Sinn Fein was in favour of a type of independence achieved by non-violent passive resistence, whereby Ireland would have the same relationship with Britain as Hungary had with Austria in the Austro-Hungarian Empire. There would be a parliament in Dublin to deal with internal Irish affairs. But there would be a common head of state in the monarch. At the time of the Rising, however, Sinn Fein was a tiny group with virtually no influence. It had a few councillors on Dublin Corporation, I think.
    If I was prepared to fight for Irish independence, wouldn't I have joined the IRB? An organisation long in existence. Experienced. An illegal organisation? Dedicated men?

Why would I join the Irish Volunteers in lieu of the IRB? What reason would I have to do that? Why were there two such militant organisations? The IVs were formed in 1914, I think, and involved in gun running, drilling etc. Why weren't the IRB doing the same? What would the leadership of the IRB (Who led it in fact at that time?) make of this new upstart organisation trying to move in to our patch.

Were some people members of both the IRB and the Volunteers? Why?

In the early 20th Century, the IRB was seen as a relic of a bygone era, a social club for men who talked about revolution but did very little to bring it about. That began to change when Thomas Clarke returned to Ireland in 1907, recruiting serious young men like Sean McDermott to the organisation. They were involved in gunrunning, smuggling small quantities of arms into the country. Still, the majority of nationalists probably thought the IRB unrealistic in its aim of achieving independence through violence.

The Irish Volunteers (IV) were popular because they were allied with the Irish Party and the Irish Party dominated Catholic, nationalist politics. Young lads were more likely to join if their friends, GAA team mates joined. The leadership of the IRB was suspicious of the IV and infiltrated the organisation from the beginning.
    If the Volunteers were openly drilling, why didn't the legitimate government of the day ie the London government immediately clamp down and ban this organisation from day one and arrest all those drilling. Surely there can be no more direct threat to democracy that men drilling, gun running etc?

The British government was distracted and divided. It was distracted from Irish affairs by riding tensions with Germany, strikes in Britain itself etc. It was also divided. The opposition Conservative Party supported the Ulster Unionists in establishing a paramilitary organisation called the Ulster Volunteer Force in oder to resist home rule. (It was not illegal to drill with weapons.) The governing Liberal Party, dependent on the Irish Party to stay in government, was reluctant to move against the IV, though the police did intercept weapons imports from abroad.
    When Pearse declared a Republic at what point did the government recognize it? The 1918 election as an election throughout the British Isles and when the Dail met it approved a Constitution. They declared themselves the Irish Government!

How can the British Government accept this for one minute? Since when do parts of a country go around and declare their own governments with their own constitution?

Was this 'Dail' (self proclaimed) legal or illegal? When was it recognized?

The British government did not recognise the Republic until Ireland left the Commonwealth in 1949. It declared Dail Eireann illegal in September 1919.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Yes, Sinn Fein was in favour of a type of independence achieved by non-violent passive resistence, whereby Ireland would have the same relationship with Britain as Hungary had with Austria in the Austro-Hungarian Empire. There would be a parliament in Dublin to deal with internal Irish affairs. But there would be a common head of state in the monarch. At the time of the Rising, however, Sinn Fein was a tiny group with virtually no influence. It had a few councillors on Dublin Corporation, I think.

In the early 20th Century, the IRB was seen as a relic of a bygone era, a social club for men who talked about revolution but did very little to bring it about. That began to change when Thomas Clarke returned to Ireland in 1907, recruiting serious young men like Sean McDermott to the organisation. They were involved in gunrunning, smuggling small quantities of arms into the country. Still, the majority of nationalists probably thought the IRB unrealistic in its aim of achieving independence through violence.

The Irish Volunteers (IV) were popular because they were allied with the Irish Party and the Irish Party dominated Catholic, nationalist politics. Young lads were more likely to join if their friends, GAA team mates joined. The leadership of the IRB was suspicious of the IV and infiltrated the organisation from the beginning.

The British government was distracted and divided. It was distracted from Irish affairs by riding tensions with Germany, strikes in Britain itself etc. It was also divided. The opposition Conservative Party supported the Ulster Unionists in establishing a paramilitary organisation called the Ulster Volunteer Force in oder to resist home rule. (It was not illegal to drill with weapons.) The governing Liberal Party, dependent on the Irish Party to stay in government, was reluctant to move against the IV, though the police did intercept weapons imports from abroad.

The British government did not recognise the Republic until Ireland left the Commonwealth in 1949. It declared Dail Eireann illegal in September 1919.

Thanks for that.

The relationship between the IRB and the IVs is still a grey area for me. Are you saying the IRB were a waning or spent force by 1916? Why were so many of the leaders members of both organisations?

However, the essence of what I do not understand is this:

Today the Government is responsible for the running of the country. I have no idea what it spends on capital expenditure. I have no idea how much it spends on motorways or hospitals or on schools. The government has loans from other governments maybe? Maybe from international organisations like the World Bank? It has trade agreements with all kinds of other countries. All legal and binding business.

Now.

Pre 1916 the British Government would have had exactly the same responsibilities regarding Ireland. Capital expenditure, roads, hospitals-whatever.

So when Pearse declared a Republic, where exactly did he think the finances of running a country were going to come from if he wanted to cut links with our paymaster as Britain then was?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Historybluff

The relationship between the IRB and the IVs is still a grey area for me. Are you saying the IRB were a waning or spent force by 1916? Why were so many of the leaders members of both organisations

I wouldn't say the IRB was a waning or spent force. Clarke, McDermott and others revived it from 1907 onwards. But its membership was small because most Irish nationalists considered unrealistic its aim of achieving a republic through violent rebellion.
    IRB members joined the IV in order to use it to recruit new members and maybe gain control of it. The IV was much more popular than the IRB; its aim of achieving home rule was considered more realistic. IRB men infiltrated virtually every organisation in Ireland: the GAA, Sinn Fein, the Gaelic League etc. to recruit and spread propaganda. As it happened, the split in the IV in 1914 on the issue of Irishmen fighting for Britain in the World War played into the hands of the IRB. The IRB effectively gained control of the anti-war minority IV and led them into a rebellion two years later, the 1916 Rising.
    However, the essence of what I do not understand is this:

Today the Government is responsible for the running of the country. I have no idea what it spends on capital expenditure. I have no idea how much it spends on motorways or hospitals or on schools. The government has loans from other governments maybe? Maybe from international organisations like the World Bank? It has trade agreements with all kinds of other countries. All legal and binding business.

Now.

Pre 1916 the British Government would have had exactly the same responsibilities regarding Ireland. Capital expenditure, roads, hospitals-whatever.

So when Pearse declared a Republic, where exactly did he think the finances of running a country were going to come from if he wanted to cut links with our paymaster as Britain then was?

No, governments in the early 20th Century did not have the same responsibilities as governments today. It was an era of proper classical liberalism, according to which governments did not like intervening in the economy. Economic development was left largely to the private sector. The railway system, for example, was privately owned. While the exchequer did finance the building of primary schools and paid the teachers' wages, few people went to second or third level institutions; most secondary schools were run by religious organisations and were most hospitals. The idea that governments should draw up plans for the economic development of their countries, improve infrastructure etc. only became popular after the Second World War.
    Therefore, Pearse, like the vast majority of the 1916 rebels and Irish republicans in general, gave little thought to economics. (Arthur Griffith was interested in it, but he was the exception to the rule.) What motivated him was a desire for an independent, Catholic and Gaelic Ireland. Economic issues could be worried about after independence was achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 panchosanza

The IRB was a secret organisation; it couldn't have open-air drills or any military training involving more than a handful of members at a time. It infiltrated many organisations including the Gaelic League and Sinn Féin -- see entryism.

The Irish Volunteers was an open orgaination founded in opposition to the Ulster Volunteers; they were respectively pro- and anti- Home Rule militias; both had extreme and moderate wings. The Volunteers were infiltrated covertly by the IRB and overtly by the IPP and split accordingly. The 1916 Proclamation states:
    Having organised and trained her manhood through her secret revolutionary organisation, the Irish Republican Brotherhood, and through her open military organisations, the Irish Volunteers and the Irish Citizen Army...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

The IRB was a secret organisation; it couldn't have open-air drills or any military training involving more than a handful of members at a time. It infiltrated many organisations including the Gaelic League and Sinn Féin

In 1887 it not merely infiltrated the GAA, then just 3 years old, but had a full scale coup, expelling branches which did not bow to the IRB masters.
    The leader of this coup was of all things, chairman of a Poor Law Board of Guardians.
    It took a long period of mediation by Archbishop Croke to restore influence of the majority.

No doubt the IRB performed similar stunts in other bodies.

Interestingly DeValera refused to join the IRB because it was a secret body. He considered taking an oath to it was immoral.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

tabbey wrote: »
    The leader of this coup was of all things, chairman of a Poor Law Board of Guardians.
    That's niggling me. Bennett? Was he chair of the PLG? (I had a dog in that fight, he's in the photo below)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭donaghs

The Irish Volunteers was an open orgaination founded in opposition to the Ulster Volunteers; they were respectively pro- and anti- Home Rule militias; both had extreme and moderate wings. The Volunteers were infiltrated covertly by the IRB and overtly by the IPP and split accordingly. :

Sometimes the past is another country. According to the Wikipedia figures, only 7% of the Volunteer's stayed on as the "the Irish Volunteers", after the 1914 split (approximately 13,500 out of 188,500). The rest of the National Volunteers believed the best way to further Home Rule and Ireland's interests was to support the allied war effort.

That's niggling me. Bennett? Was he chair of the PLG? (I had a dog in that fight, he's in the photo below)

I understood that he was chairman of Ennis B of G, but I have not researched him, I may have misunderstood some report somewhere.

PS, Who are this group of gentlemen? One of them has a top hat in his hand. And which is Bennett?

I understood that he was chairman of Ennis B of G, but I have not researched him, I may have misunderstood some report somewhere.

PS, Who are this group of gentlemen? One of them has a top hat in his hand. And which is Bennett?
    I can’t be of much help I’m afraid. I’ve only one of the names in the photo. Researching it and the 'Split' is on my ‘to do’ list –it’s from a newspaper copy I got from a relative who had no other information other than being able to confirm the identity of ‘our’ man. I have an ancestor who was heavily involved with the early GAA, was part of the ‘split’ and also in one of the delegations that met Dr. Croke. I have a note written by my late grandfather (b1895, also very active in the GAA in the 1920-30's) saying that the photo was lent to the publisher of an early book on the GAA and he again loaned it “Unfortunately I loaned the original photograph to the late PJ O’Keefe, Secretary of the GAA many years ago and although I asked for its return on several occasions I failed to recover it”.

I think the photo is the group that was involved in planning the GAA visit to the USA in 1888 (the so-called ‘Gaelic Invasion’) and that it probably was wanted by O’Keefe for publicity purposes - he was behind the staging of the 1947 All-Ireland Football Final in New York. I believe the man with the top hat is a cleric and that the photo could have been taken at the College in Thurles (the young lad top right has the look of a clerical student about him!). We also had a commemorative medal of the Gaelic Invasion but sadly it went out of the family – I’ve been told that its monetary value is c€3,000.

Having checked in Thom's directories, I can now confirm that Edward Bennett of Ballycar, Newmarket on Fergus, was chairman of Ennis Board of Guardians, in Thom's directories of 1887 to 1890 inclusive. His predecessor was Lord Inchiquin and James Halpin took over by the 1891 directory. Since Thom's would have taken some time to compile, Bennett was probably in office from 1886 to 89.

Looking at the papers of the era, Bennett seems to have been associated with bodies such as Clare Farmers Club and the Tenant's Defence League. EM Bennett is also mentioned, whether he is the same man, I cannot say, but was also involved with similar events. He was one of four names attached to an address to CS Parnell visiting Ennis in 1885.

Regarding the takeover of the GAA by the IRB, it seems that Maurice Davin would have won the election at Thurles, Nov 1887, had 200 delegates not walked out with Fr Scanlan, in the dispute about who should chair the meeting.

Given that Bennett seems to have had a reasonable history, I wonder was he a stooge for some more sinister elements in the IRB?

• Advertisement

Given that Bennett seems to have had a reasonable history, I wonder was he a stooge for some more sinister elements in the IRB?

Thanks for the clarification. I've a lot more to research, but from what I've got so far (brief notes) I suspect that the link simply was a strong ex-Fenian element. John O'Leary ex leader of the Fenians was one of those who met Croke, and my guy and Bennett also were described in police reports as 'well known Fenians'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

In Max Caulfield's The Easter Rising Page 8 he talks about the rebels marching from Liberty Hall up Eden Quay and then strangely the 'long march up Abbey Street'.

You would have expected them to march along Eden Quay all the way up to O'Connell then turn right towards GPO. Instead of a zig zag along Abbey Street.

Was Abbey Street the Abbey Street as of today as it could hardly be described as 'a long march up ...' it being quite a short street.

What was the route of the march from Liberty Hall exactly as per today's layout?

Perhaps they did not wish to be seen at O'Connell Bridge, and went right onto Marlboro' Street, then left onto Lower Abbey Street.

It is also possible that an error was made in the text and was not spotted by proof readers due to the latter being grammatical purists, lacking in local knowledge. I came across this in a memoir by Sean McBride.

Advertisement