Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Alliance of American Football 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭Guffy

Deco99 wrote: »
    Can I stream these games somewhere in Ireland?

They're free on the website.

https://aaf.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Guffy wrote: »
    They're free on the website.

https://aaf.com

No commentary and a weird Madden camera angle though. I'd to give up on it last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Salt Lake Stallion

No commentary and a weird Madden camera angle though. I'd to give up on it last week.

They had a normal tv feed on there last night for the Stallions game, I think it depends which broadcaster is showing the game in the US as to what stream the AAF can put on their website.

'AAF All Access' channel on youtube streams each game live too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

No chat about this weekend. Has the honeymoon ended?

No game I tried to watch had decent coverage with commentary and a proper camera angle so I gave up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭mooreman09

I plan on watching this Saturday. House to myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

mooreman09 wrote: »
    I plan on watching this Saturday. House to myself!

You might have the whole league to yourself. Although I see there are talks afoot to make the league effectively a minor league for the NFL, with players being farmed out to the AAF to get more practice and game reps, players like 3rd string QBs and stuff who don't get enough practice under the current collective bargaining agreement. I think the ratings are unlikely to sustain the AAF alone, but if they had the kind of links to NFL teams that minor league baseball has to the MLB then it would be serve a slightly different purpose and could thrive in the same way. I remember going to see the South Bend Cubs when I lived there; I don't really know a damn thing about baseball, but it was a really lovely atmosphere and a great local experience to go to it. It was understated and unpretentious, not trying to sell itself as an incredible spectacle, because it wasn't one.

I also wonder if a league like this would work better in the run up to a new NFL season rather than at the tail end of one. The week after the super bowl you might want to watch games but that thirst passes on because the quality is lower. I wonder if people would be more into it if it was to whet your appetite for a new NFL season.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

You might have the whole league to yourself. Although I see there are talks afoot to make the league effectively a minor league for the NFL, with players being farmed out to the AAF to get more practice and game reps, players like 3rd string QBs and stuff who don't get enough practice under the current collective bargaining agreement. I think the ratings are unlikely to sustain the AAF alone, but if they had the kind of links to NFL teams that minor league baseball has to the MLB then it would be serve a slightly different purpose and could thrive in the same way. I remember going to see the South Bend Cubs when I lived there; I don't really know a damn thing about baseball, but it was a really lovely atmosphere and a great local experience to go to it. It was understated and unpretentious, not trying to sell itself as an incredible spectacle, because it wasn't one.

I also wonder if a league like this would work better in the run up to a new NFL season rather than at the tail end of one. The week after the super bowl you might want to watch games but that thirst passes on because the quality is lower. I wonder if people would be more into it if it was to whet your appetite for a new NFL season.

I've thought of this myself.

The notion seems to be that people are still hungry for football after the Superbowl, and you also have this gap between the end of football and Opening Day at the beginning of April.

But what they are getting is an inferior product that loses interest quickly.

Would a better option be to start later and run up to the start of training camp ?

Obviously those in the know know better than I but it's just an observation.

The ill fated XFL also started right after the Superbowl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The chairman of the league’s threatening that they might fold unless the NFLPA allows practice squad players signed to future contracts to sign with their teams.

The chairman of the league’s threatening that they might fold unless the NFLPA allows practice squad players signed to future contracts to sign with their teams.

That chairman is the same guy who put 250 million quid into the league a couple of weeks back. It sounds like it's done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Read a New York Post piece about this.

Seems like participation time is very much part of the CBA and getting practice squad players to play in the AAF would be in some sort of violation of the CBA

So even though the majority owner can just come out and paint it that the NFLPA are being the problem here, it's not that simple as it's tied to the CBA.

Read a New York Post piece about this.

Seems like participation time is very much part of the CBA and getting practice squad players to play in the AAF would be in some sort of violation of the CBA

So even though the majority owner can just come out and paint it that the NFLPA are being the problem here, it's not that simple as it's tied to the CBA.

It's also not clear why the NFLPA should feel under any pressure to help them. It's not their job to keep a private, for profit business like the AAF afloat, it's their job to protect their players' interests. If the AAF needed those players on board in order to stay afloat, they should have made damn sure that they would be able to get them, rather than whining about it now, and trying to blame it on the NFLPA for doing their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,495 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's also not clear why the NFLPA should feel under any pressure to help them. It's not their job to keep a private, for profit business like the AAF afloat, it's their job to protect their players' interests. If the AAF needed those players on board in order to stay afloat, they should have made damn sure that they would be able to get them, rather than whining about it now, and trying to blame it on the NFLPA for doing their job.
    Are the NFLPA representing the players in the AAF?

eagle eye wrote: »
    Are the NFLPA representing the players in the AAF?

Not that I can tell, but I stand to be corrected.

This article doesn't actually answer your question, but it does say pretty much what I said above, that the NFLPA's duty of care to its members is not served in any way by having them play in the AAF right now. Nobody has articulated why they should, but there are a bunch of very good reasons why they shouldn't (what happens to your NFL contract if and when you are injured playing in the AAF? How exactly does playing in the AAF help a player already on an NFL practice squad? It seems to be a chance for them to get injured or maybe play their way off one). As the article notes, it COULD be something that might be addressed in the next CBA, but only if the AAF were an official minor league of the NFL, and even then it would not be some obligation on the NFLPA to help out, it would be serious leverage for them in any negotiation.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2019/03/27/nflpa-aaf-players-on-loan-practice-squad/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,169 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Rumoured to be suspending operations today. Disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,101 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

That is disappointing, this was the right way to build another league in terms of its structure and timing

Oat23 wrote: »
    Rumoured to be suspending operations today. Disappointing.

Well that was $250m well spent by yer man a couple of weeks ago.

Seriously though, surely they had a budget set out at the start of the year to see them through the season. I know attendance has been poor but they would have known that would have been the case. I doubt their financial model was based on sold out games.

Well that was $250m well spent by yer man a couple of weeks ago.

Seriously though, surely they had a budget set out at the start of the year to see them through the season. I know attendance has been poor but they would have known that would have been the case. I doubt their financial model was based on sold out games.

Seen a few reports he bought it for a related gambling app and never had any intention of keeping it alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I wonder will vince McMahon who is relaunching the XFL next year think twice given what's happened to the AAF ? I mean presumably the issue with the NFLPA will be the same with the XFL ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I wonder will vince McMahon who is relaunching the XFL next year think twice given what's happened to the AAF ? I mean presumably the issue with the NFLPA will be the same with the XFL ?

I think he’s too far the road to pull out now. But yeah it’ll go the same way. It’ll ok my last one season max. What a waste of WWE Stock.

• Advertisement

Or could he learn from their mistakes (whatever they might be)?

Although there being no interest in a second tier league is going to be the same for whoever decides to throw away their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,495 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You have to go like college football to have any chance of succeeding. Nobody wants to watch pro football with bad players.
    They need to all go to the spread offense and run up the scores. People love high scoring games, it's why redzone has gotten so big, and they'll sit down and watch the AAF if it's entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Salt Lake Stallion

Sad that the Alliance has suspended operations, enjoyed it very much while it lasted. We will always have that one weekend in February where it was the talk of the football world. And I will always have this username!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭Blut2

eagle eye wrote: »
    You have to go like college football to have any chance of succeeding. Nobody wants to watch pro football with bad players.
    They need to all go to the spread offense and run up the scores. People love high scoring games, it's why redzone has gotten so big, and they'll sit down and watch the AAF if it's entertaining.

XFL 2.0 will probably be trying to go for the high scoring model I'd imagine. Whether they actually have good quality players to back it up with will be the question.

Blut2 wrote: »
    XFL 2.0 will probably be trying to go for the high scoring model I'd imagine. Whether they actually have good quality players to back it up with will be the question.

They'll be fishing in the same pond as this league was, so no.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Seen a few reports he bought it for a related gambling app and never had any intention of keeping it alive.

Yeah, something in the guardian about it alright. They provide really detailed, and very quick stats that would be a very big deal if used for fantasy sports apparently. As rules on gambling are slowly loosening, it could make quite a bit.

Also was reading that people don't really need the football fix after the Superbowl. There's so much news from the NFL, All-Star game, Combines, Pro-Days and Draft etc that very much keeps people engaged.

Plus the NBA and NHL pretty much take over and get into their busy periods from Feb-May by when the Baseball season is well and truly going and is the summer focus.

Also look at how much Arena Football as dwindled in recent years.

Can always try and watch the CFL?

Weepsie wrote: »
    Yeah, something in the guardian about it alright. They provide really detailed, and very quick stats that would be a very big deal if used for fantasy sports apparently.

I read somewhere yesterday that legally he wouldn’t be able to shut down a business to strip one part out of it. Although I’m sure he has some highly paid legal team to get around that little inconvenience.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Also was reading that people don't really need the football fix after the Superbowl. There's so much news from the NFL, All-Star game, Combines, Pro-Days and Draft etc that very much keeps people engaged.

Plus the NBA and NHL pretty much take over and get into their busy periods from Feb-May by when the Baseball season is well and truly going and is the summer focus.

Also look at how much Arena Football as dwindled in recent years.

Can always try and watch the CFL?

I think there’s a lot of truth in what you say there. College Basketball basically owns March/early April, then baseball kicks in and the NBA playoffs take over then. There’s only so much people can watch.

Don’t like the CFL myself, pitch is too bloody big!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Didnt they try early spring football back in the 80s and that flopped with attendances coz of the rain. Though its demise seems to have a lot to with the some fella called Trump

Advertisement