Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Elton John Vs Jools Holland

Options
  • 26-03-2017 9:15pm
    Site Banned Posts: 391 ✭✭

Which of these two would you think is a better piano player? Great and all as Elton is, I'd be inclined to think that Jools is a better technical player (perhaps more of a nerd), but that Elton is far more likely to come out with something that sounds beautiful. Jools is a bit too into those blue and boogie woogie stuff, which kind of all sounds the same.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

"Better" is in the "ear of the beholder". The one that appeals to you the most, is the "best"...for you. ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 391 ✭✭paralysed

Rigsby wrote: »
    "Better" is in the "ear of the beholder". The one that appeals to you the most, is the "best"...for you. ;)
    So I assume you you know nothing about either!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

paralysed wrote: »
    So I assume you you know nothing about either!?

Very little to be honest, but this does not invalidate my point, as it's the same for ALL music/artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Withrax

Jools is probably a technically better player, especially when it comes to the blues. Elton is very creative and as we all know can write great songs. He is a very high level piano player for a pop musician.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 AntiClimax

Withrax wrote: »
    Jools is probably a technically better player, especially when it comes to the blues.
    I'm afraid Elton is probaly better at the blues too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIKCc_Vi6SY

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Rigsby wrote: »
    Very little to be honest, but this does not invalidate my point, as it's the same for ALL music/artists.

Agreed, once you use terms as broad as 'better', by comparison to say 'most technically proficient', or as blatantly subjective as 'sounds beautiful' you're clearly in the realms of personal preference. Personally I enjoy listening to Jools way more, but I've a strong bias there as a fan of 'later' and all the music it has introduced me too, and loved Squeeze back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭bessboroughboy

Speaking of Jools Holland, I listened to Tori Amos playing a Bosendorfer on his show once

"Knees Up Mother Brown" it wasn't

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Forgetting the whole "who is the best piano player", I know which one has the better personality, thats for sure!

I couldn't imagine Elton hosting that live music show for so many years and being pleasant to watch every week. Hateful character.

Advertisement